The Aspen Institute, founded in 1950, is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering enlightened leadership and open-minded dialogue. Through seminars, policy programs, conferences and leadership development initiatives, the Institute and its international partners seek to promote nonpartisan inquiry and an appreciation for timeless values.
The Aspen Institute Summer Internship Program employs rising college seniors or recent college graduates during the summer months in Aspen, Colorado. Internship opportunities will not exceed 90-days and are available in the following departments: Development, Seminars, Administration, ITS, Conference Services, and Public Programs. All internships are paid positions.
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
Aspen Ideas: Health is the opening session of the Aspen Ideas Festival, the nation's premier public gathering for leaders from around the globe to engage in the deep and inquisitive issues and ideas that shape our lives. Aspen Ideas: Health takes place June 20-23, 2019 and presents cutting edge content on health and medicine—always through a global lens. Stimulating and often provocative, the program features some of the world’s leading doers, thinkers, and visionaries; the icons and the up-and-comers of our time. 2019 marks the conference’s sixth year.
Internship Program Timeline:
- Begin accepting applications: January 4, 2019*
- Application deadline: January 31, 2019*
- Interview dates: February 1 – 28, 2019*
- Employment notification: March 15, 2019*
- Position start date: Between April 29 – May 6, 2019**
- Position end date: Between July 26 – Aug 2, 2019**
- Hours per Week: 40+ (overtime will be paid as applicable)
*Dates are subject to change
**start/end dates of the internship will be based on candidate’s availability and will not exceed 90 days.
This internship is based in Aspen, Colorado. The intern provides administrative and logistical support to the Aspen Ideas: Health conference and its program team. The intern plays a key role in supporting Aspen Ideas: Health’s cohort of 200 speakers and moderators.
We seek a highly organized, detail-oriented individual with superb time management and communication skills. The intern will be responsible for database and records management, assist with the coordination of speaker travel and lodging arrangements, and collect and process speaker marketing collateral. The intern also assists with the overall coordination and implementation of the Aspen Ideas: Health conference, and other tasks as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the Program Manager on all aspects of Aspen Ideas: Health Speaker needs, including but not limited to, coordinating travel and lodging for speakers and moderators, database entry and management, data review, proofreading, photo copying, responding to emails, answering phones, and running event-related errands.
- Assists with speaker registration process, and collects and processes speaker bios, headshots, copyright agreements, and personal information.
- Assists with staffing sessions, special events, and conference activities.
- Prepares reports, spreadsheets, correspondences, and mailings
- Supports the Aspen Ideas: Health conference, including:
- Staffing the speaker registration table
- Providing speaker and general event support
- Coordinating bookstore logistics and inventory
- Coordinating speaker book signing events
- Staffing the guest check-in table at special events
- Coordinating speaker transportation logistics
- Assisting with post-event survey, thank you, and reporting efforts
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Core Skills, Values and Accountabilities:
- Outstanding organization and time management skills with a high attention to detail
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and research skills (identifying key information)
- Strong initiative, responsiveness, and accountability
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team
- Professional, friendly, and customer service-oriented
- Ability to complete responsibilities under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Respects and values diversity
- Adheres to professional dress code
- Valid driver's license
- Authorized to work in the US
- Interns are responsible for securing local housing, though the Institute will assist in locating opportunities when possible
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Must be enrolled in or recent graduate of an accredited college
- Prior experience with program administration and logistics coordination desired
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software and social media outlets (i.e. Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, etc).
Applications will be accepted online January 4, 2019 through January 31, 2019. The internship starts in late-April/early-May and will end in mid-July/early August 2019 (dates are subject to change and the internship will not exceed 90-days). This position will require 40+ hours per week (may require overtime).
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with city, state and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.