Celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2017, the University of Denver Sturm College of Law (Denver Law) is a national leader in experiential legal education, a recognized innovator in legal pedagogy, and the home of multiple nationally ranked programs. Located in one of the nation’s most dynamic and beautiful cities, Denver Law features an internationally recognized faculty, an outstanding and diverse student body, a motivated and highly professional staff, and a group of roughly 17,000 alumni who have achieved careers of distinction in law, business, government, public interest, and other professional domains. Consistent with the University of Denver’s IMPACT 2025 strategic plan, Denver Law seeks to enhance the visibility and impact of its research and programs, engage strategically with multiple external stakeholders to advance legal education and the public good, and magnify the comprehensive strengths of Denver Law and the University of Denver.
Reporting directly to the Dean, working closely with Denver Laws faculty and staff, and collaborating with the University’s marketing and communications team, the Assistant Dean of Communications creates, leads, and manages the law school’s strategic communications plan, including branding, marketing, media relations, web-based communications, and social media. The Assistant Dean manages a talented and creative staff, works closely with key constituents across the city, state, nation, and world, and forms part of the senior leadership team at Denver Law.
- Create, lead, and manage a comprehensive strategic communications program designed to enhance the visibility of Denver Law at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Lead the creative design of Denver Laws website, with the goal of best-in-class format and functionality.
- Work with internal departments at Denver Law (e.g., admissions, career development, graduate legal studies) to develop innovative and effective marketing materials.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with external media outlets.
- Serve as Denver Laws chief branding officer.
- Participate in the writing and editing of key communications pieces.
- Manage and collaborate with Denver Laws talented communications team.
- Partner with the University’s marketing and communications department to advance the University’s internal and external communications efforts.
- Steward internal resources and manage external vendors in a manner consistent with University policy and Denver Laws mission.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Capacity to solve complex problems with creative solutions.
- Experience in planning, organizing, and managing processes that bring about the successful completion of specific deliverables.
- Ability to coordinate multiple activities while maintaining focus on details and outcomes.
- Ability to function in a high-paced, collaborative work environment.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year university or college.
- At least five years of progressive work experience in marketing, communications, branding, or media relations.
- At least three years of management/supervisory experience.
- Experience working in high-performing teams, including the ability to collaborate and delegate.
- Ability to understand industry trends and data and to translate them into strategic action plans.
- Proven ability to forge mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Monday, December 4, 2017. Position will remain open until filled.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact Rachel Copeland, Assistant Dean of Business & Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please include the following documents with your application:
- A Cover Letter is required to be fully considered for this position.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.