About the Colorado Springs Chamber & EDC
The Colorado Springs Chamber & EDC is the largest economic development, chamber of commerce and business advocacy organization in southern Colorado. We work with industry leaders, educational institutions, military personnel, government and community agencies and a wide array of community professionals dedicated to developing economic prosperity for our region.
As the nation’s most desirable place to live (U.S. News & World Report) and the fastest-growing city for millennials (Brookings Institution), Colorado Springs is experiencing a wave of business and industry development, new residents and high-quality job growth. Competitively affordable, Colorado’s second-largest city is rich with investment, talent and experience, and embodies quintessential Colorado living, with elevated access to people, amenities and adventure.
The Chief Defense Development Officer (Chief) manages the military relations and community outreach, as they relate to the defense sector. In this context, the defense sector comprises military bases and missions, private sector companies and organizations, and the organizations that support them. The Chief shares responsibility for cultivating and maintaining relationships with members, with primary focus on military installations and defense companies.
The Chief works with the Chief Economic Development Officer on local, state and national levels to enhance and strengthen the defense industry in our region and regularly interacts with military leaders, electeds, and industry leaders. The position also supports other programs within the organization. The Chief is responsible for managing staff, budgets and resources in the Defense division.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In consultation with the CEO, recommend strategic objectives and tactical actions pertaining to the Chamber & EDC’s engagement of the defense sector.
- Advise the CEO, senior staff, Board of Directors, and volunteer councils on defense industry issues.
- Maintain regular communication with Chamber & EDC members on important defense industry news and events.
- Manage and lead volunteers, including those serving on the Military Affairs Council and Defense Mission Task Force, to achieve Chamber & EDC objectives.
- In coordination with Chamber & EDC Government Affairs staff, participate regularly in Government Affairs Council meetings to represent defense-related subjects.
- Plan, develop, advance and implement complex strategic goals, policies and program initiatives that require managing financial, human and capital resources over short and long periods.
- Participate in Chamber & EDC programs, events and activities.
- Work a weekly schedule that regularly exceeds 40 hours, including meetings and events before 8am and after 5pm, and on weekends.
- Travel frequently to meetings outside of office, including to other cities and states, and able to travel occasionally and infrequently to other countries.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Military service is required.
- Experience working with senior-level leaders in the Department of Defense is required.
- Strong working knowledge of military protocol is required.
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally and diplomatically with the public, media and peers is required.
- Experience in public policy preferred, including the ability to interact with local, state and federal elected and appointed officials.
- Experience in private sector business preferred, including the ability to interact with senior-level company executives.
- Represent the Chamber & EDC in public forums on critical military and business issues with the ability to develop and deliver the communications effectively and honestly.
- Perform well in high-pressure, time-constrained situations.
- Possess high energy, strong organizational skills, and time management skills to handle competing priorities and multiple concurrent projects.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required.
Note: Exceptional candidates with unique experience and background outside these requirements may be considered.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in military and/or business organizations with leadership or management responsibilities.
- Competitive salary
- Robust benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off (with floating holiday), annual performance review with merit pay
- 401k plan with employer matching
- Flexible work environment
- Budget for professional training and advancement
- Regular teambuilding activities
- Collaborative, performance-driven, community-centric culture in Colorado Springs’ growing downtown
Typical office environment for daily operations.
Applications must be received by January 21, 2019.