Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum is expanding to two sites and looking for a dynamic professional to help lead a growing organization into an exciting future in America’s second leading aerospace state.
The Chief Operating Officer will provide day-to-day management of Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum. The ideal candidate will manage policies, programs and initiatives, advancing a mission to educate and inspire through flight in order to achieve continuing growth, thereby allowing Colorado’s Official Air & Space Museum to enter the highest ranks of America’s aerospace museums.
Areas of Responsibility
• Participate in development and implementation of strategic plan, operating goals, policies, and priorities for the Lowry museum site to fulfill its potential as an aerospace heritage and education center.
• Develop annual program plan and lead staff team to achieve or exceed budget goals through a culture that recognizes a margin of excellence from contributed support.
• Supervise staff team to achieve high performance standards individually and collectively through planning, coordination and resource development.
• Sustain and expand a growing educational mission, to include a future aerospace charter school.
• Maintain impeccable ethics and professional business standards.
• Develop a museum experience that will generate increased visitation, merchandise and membership revenues.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have Four Skill Sets:
• Create, monitor and support plans for each subordinate to align his/her work with museum goals and optimize his/her contributions to the organization.
• Coordinate department activities to complement one another and increase efficiency.
• Communicate effectively to reaffirm organizational goals and optimize collaboration.
• Supervise performance reviews and staff accountabilities.
• In collaboration with Controller, improve budget preparation and monitoring.
• Oversee and optimize volunteer contributions and goodwill.
• Oversee all museum marketing and fundraising interactions to add value with constituencies and instill a culture of giving to achieve mission growth and excellence.
• Responsible for all contributions supporting museum operations, including sponsorships, memberships and annual giving programs; lead development of comprehensive grants program.
• Oversee fundraising events such as the Spreading Wings Gala, B-17 Hangar Dance, Tribute to a Fighter Pilot, and any other events that may be developed.
• Represent the museum at corporate events and appropriate aviation organizations.
• Coordinate with CEO to support his efforts with the Wingspan Campaign.
• Increase museum awareness in community and maintain growth in visitation revenues.
• Develop special event series to attract media, sponsorships and admissions.
• Secure partnership synergies with other organizations’ programs and activities as appropriate.
• Oversee communications plan with museum constituencies.
• Enhance expanding education mission within spectrum of programs that complement one another.
• Optimize Teacher Flight Program potential through appropriate communications networks and integrated program opportunities.
• Lead planning and development of aerospace charter school.
• Lead design of character and leadership activities within education mission.
• Oversee collections management policies.
• Develop exhibit development plan and oversee new exhibits and exhibit upgrades.
• Develop a compelling, inter-active visitor experience with policies, procedures and training as appropriate.
• Enhance museum store revenues and efficiencies.
• Coordinate corporate events with museum activities to optimize both.
• Oversee planned entrance and infrastructure improvements.
• Monitor facility maintenance and infrastructure issues.
- Minimum ten years’ experience in advancing levels of managerial capacities in professional environment.
- Experience in nonprofit organizations, preferably museums, is highly desired.
- Strong understanding of organizational finance and management.
- Ability to manage professional, volunteer and administrative staff members in an environment that promotes teamwork, dedication and results.
- Experience and/or longstanding interest in aviation, space and education.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- High energy level.
- Personal integrity.
Compensation and benefits are commensurate with experience and a track record of progress and potential.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and salary history via email only to: