Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
Sustainability & External Relations works to obtain and strengthen broad social acceptance before, during and beyond the life of a mine. The Communications sub-function connects people to Newmont through transparent, engaging and compelling communications.
The intern will have an opportunity to join members of the Communications group during strategy and planning sessions. This experience will provide an environment to learn how a Corporate Communications group manages:
- Strategic thinking and planning
- Day-to-day proactive and reactive communications
- Campaigns and content development and execution
- Crisis management and rapid response planning
- Employee communications planning
- Global communications collaboration with teams around the world
Scope and Responsibilities
The internship will ideally be from May 2019 – October 2019. The exact dates are flexible depending on the student’s availability. It is assumed that the internship will be full time (40 hours/week) during the summer and part time (12-20 hours/week) during the school year. Interns will receive a stipend.
The work will be designed to execute with basic supervision at the Corporate Headquarters located in Greenwood Village, CO, and may include travel to one or more of Newmont’s offices and sites. The internship program provides ample opportunity for internal networking with other functions and interns around the company.
The intern will be responsible for implementing specific Communication related projects during the course of his or her internship, as well as supporting the day-to-day activities of the department. The exact projects will be determined according to the intern’s availability, interest, skills, and experience.
Possible projects include:
- Employee communications (intranet management, corporate announcements, digital signage, etc.)
- Content marketing (campaign development, blog and content creation, online advertising campaigns, etc.)
- Social media (management, content, monitoring and analysis)
- Event management (strategy, planning and execution of internal and external events)
- Brand management
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Juniors or Seniors pursuing their Bachelor’s degree or graduate students only, graduating in December 2019 or later – Marketing, Communications, Advertising or Journalism degrees preferred
- Women and students with experiences of different and diverse cultures are strongly encouraged to apply
- Experience in mining and/or passion to learn about the mining industry, corporate communications and sustainability
- Organized and efficient time manager and ability to work unsupervised
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and comfort with speaking to global internal stakeholders
- Excellent writing and PowerPoint skills
- Spanish language skills is a plus
- At least a 3.0 GPA or equivalent
This position will be located at Newmont's Corporate Office located in Greenwood Village, CO
To learn more about Newmont visit us at:
- Newmont website: http://www.newmont.com/home/default.aspx
- Lifecycle of a Mine microsite (educational site that explains what happens during each phase of a mine's life): http://lifecycle.newmont.com/
- Newmont's blog site (weekly stories highlighting work being done in Newmont's regions and our employees): http://ourvoice.newmont.com/
- Newmont's annual sustainability report: http://sustainabilityreport.newmont.com/
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com.