Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) uses a portion of state lottery proceeds to preserve, protect, and enhance Colorado’s trails, parks, wildlife, open space, river corridors, playgrounds, and youth corps in all 64 counties. It awards competitive grants to local governments and land trusts and makes investments through Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW). Created by voters in 1992, it is governed by a 17-member board that is appointed by the Governor and uses no tax dollars. Its current staff is 16 people. GOCO's work is guided by a strategic plan with three primary goals:
- PROTECT more land and wildlife habitat, notably large-scale landscapes
- CONNECT people to the outdoors and connect trails, parks and open spaces
- INSPIRE more Coloradans, especially children, to get outside more and take care of our great outdoors.
For more information, please visit www.goco.org.
The communications intern will join the communications coordinator, director of communications, and full GOCO staff at the organization’s downtown Denver office. The communications intern will roll up their sleeves and assist the communications team with a variety of activities that amplify GOCO’s storytelling and outreach efforts, and help support the smooth launch of the organization’s major communications program in May. This position reports to GOCO’s communications coordinator.
- Assist with content creation for interactive map project and annual report
- Make website updates
- Help pitch grant award stories to the media and update media list
- Organize image/photo assets
- Assist with social media content creation
- Secure sponsors for social media contests and other communications program efforts
- Provide program materials to grantees and partners
- Provide event support and attend various events
- And perform clerical work such as shipping materials, file scanning, file archiving, letter writing, and transcribing video content
- Current enrollment in a university/college with a focus in communication, journalism, English, PR, or a related area
- Interest in a career in communications or marketing and advertising
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of organizational and time management skills
- Efficiency within Microsoft Office products
- The ability to work both independently and effectively with others in a small team setting
- Positive attitude and proactive approach to work
- A passion for GOCO’s mission and an ability to articulate why
- Social media management experience
Salary & Benefits
This is a part-time (roughly 15-20 hours/week), summer internship position earning $15/hour. The exact schedule is flexible within normal work hours and will be discussed during the interview process.
The internship will begin in May/June and go through August/September, with the potential to be extended into the fall. The position is not eligible for benefits.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, letter of interest, and one writing sample to email@example.com, including “Communications Intern” in the subject line.
No calls, please.
GOCO is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.