Western Union (WU) is a company on the move! We believe that when money moves, better things can happen. From small businesses and global corporations, to families near and far, or NGO’s in the most remote communities on Earth, WU helps people and business move money globally. We have a rich legacy of innovation, and are continuing to develop new and more convenient ways for our customers to send and receive money through digital, mobile and retail channels. We have a combined digital and retail network that spans over 200 countries and territories. Some companies specialize in cash-based retail money transfer and others play only in digital. We are leaders in both!
Being on the Western Union team means being tenacious and goal-oriented. It means taking risks and quickly finding the path to success. It means having integrity, and finding ways to make things work. It means thriving as part of a diverse, global team of over 10,000 people who are committed to moving money for better. It means being driven to win, and to do work that makes a difference… on a global stage. Sound like you? Apply now!
The responsibilities of the Director, Corporate Communications include:
- Leader of the day-to-day media relations activities of Western Union, serving as a ready and available spokesperson on a wide range of topics and initiatives;
- Works closely with the outside external agency to influence news stories about the company and relevant issues, identifying proactive opportunities to elevate the company’s positioning;
- Manages a small team, and works collaboratively with colleagues around the world to ensure timely and thorough responses to the news media, as appropriate;
- Overseeing development of all corporate press releases, talking points, and related materials; Primary liaison to IR team, and leads growth strategy media planning.
- Develops an especially close daily working relationship with the company’s Investor Relations, Government Relations, and Foundation teams to effectively manage an ongoing speaker’s platform for the company;
- Managing preparation of the Company’s Annual Report and shareholder meeting presentations;
- Guides the development and execution of a thought leadership platform that solidifies the company as the leader in global, cross-border money transfer.
- Evaluates and manages all requests for external speaking opportunities for executives, as well as requests for interviews for books and other periodicals.
- Oversees the weekly editorial calendar for the company, directing the strategic positioning of announcements.
- Managing the creation and dissemination of the content that tells this story, through channels including media relations, new media platforms and public and community affairs both in the US and internationally.
- Key spokesperson and strategist on crisis communications,
- Partnering with the Company’s Investor Relations unit to manage financial communications for quarterly earnings releases and investor presentations involving senior executives.
- Advising internal business partners to help ensure the alignment of business and consumer public relations strategies.
- Developing strategy for external speaking engagements for senior executives and managing a speakers’ bureau.
- Managing outside agency and consulting relationships, as necessary.
- Demonstrated Customer-centric Service-oriented Team Player and Creative storyteller
- Drive for results
- History of strategic agility
- Developing direct reports
- Demonstrated success working with business reporters and editors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven organizational, management and technical skills; and the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to work with the Company’s top executives, including the CFO.
- Ability to understand and communicate the Company’s balance sheet, financial performance and business strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, motivating and mentoring a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage crisis situations.
- Experience with consumer brands preferred.
- Capability to travel is required.
- Proven track record (minimum of 10 years) in the field of corporate communications or agency experience, including direct experience working with a variety of news organizations, bloggers and media outlets.
- Bachelor’s degree required as a minimum educational level
Western Union is proud to be an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or related medical conditions), national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or other protected category. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org