The Director of Brand Communications will be a key member of the Marketing Leadership Team who collectively is responsible for driving the 360 degree strategic marketing plan & campaigns to drive market share dominance, improve new and return traffic to our stores and drive consumer engagement. The Director of Brand and Communications will be accountable for developing and directing how our brand is represented to all audiences including customers, partners, media, employees and the public. The ideal candidate will drive brand positioning and management as well as creative strategy and messaging for the Shane Co. brand and will influence all marketing channels. A master of positioning and brand, you will lead our communications strategy to build Shane Co. into our next phase of growth.
The Director of Brand Communications is responsible for Content Strategy, Direct Mail, PR, Organic Social Media, Video Content Development, Brand and Industry Partnerships, Influencer Relationships and overall Marketing Process Leadership. Additional responsibilities include inspiring and facilitating the development of big, integrated creative ideas across all channels through integrative creative brief authorship incorporating consumer insights, brand positioning, marketing, and product strategies. Key relationships include Marketing Channel Leads, Product Merchants and Planners, Data and Insights Team, Store Operations and Management and has substantial exposure to the executive team.
Strategy and Planning
- Partner with CMO to understand the business and product trends and deliver annual marketing and messaging strategies to improve traffic and revenue
- Drive evergreen messaging and content strategies and constantly evaluates performance for continual improvement
- Develop and implement customer communications in line with merchandising strategies
- Lead PR strategic initiatives that deliver on brand positioning, expand awareness and drive traffic
- Lead effective organic social media strategy including all relevant social networks.
- Lead the company’s philanthropic program. Develop strategy and lead execution for the Shane Co. Foundation.
- Develop a partnership strategy and manage partner and industry relations creating strong partnerships that elevate the Shane Co. reputation and credibility through positive associations
- Act as the corporate brand monitor to all external/internal teams including sales, marketing, eComm and creative partners to ensure that our brand messaging is consistent across all sales materials, marketing collateral and web properties
- Deliver effective leadership for projects that fall outside a season but align with brand objectives: product naming (if needed), product launches, brand partnerships, influencers, brand videos, recruitment efforts, etc.
- Build and develop senior relationships needed for team’s success: merchants, planners, Store Ops, Data & Analytics, Finance, MLT, Creative, Channel Leads, eComm
- Identify new and innovative ways to drive business
Seasonal Campaign Direction and Execution
- Drive strong seasonal messaging and activation ideas grounded in data and innovation
- Partner with Merchandising teams and Creative Director to align creative approach with brand fashion POV, merchandise strategies and customer needs
- Develop an integrated seasonal big idea brief based on brand and product objectives, competitive landscape, relevant customer learnings and marketing hindsight
- Oversee and direct complex integrated marketing process across all marketing channels from hindsight to brief creation through execution.
- Lead the strategic development and execution of all cross functional marketing activations each season
- Facilitate and own content integration across channels and disciplines
- Oversee the monthly competitive analysis and provide executive team with insights for action based on learnings
- Seasonal deliverables include: Hindsight, Competitive Analysis, Integrated Seasonal Brief, Story Briefs, Organic Social Content Calendar, Marketing Activation Calendar, Seasonal PR strategies and plans
People and Leadership
- Act as marketing ambassador to a group of stores and host monthly marketing / store manager calls for stronger education and communication with owned store group
- Foster a culture of creativity by leading collaborative efforts and inspiring the marketing team to deliver the best brand experiences.
- Set the team up for success by defining roles and responsibilities and communicating them externally
- Empower the team by providing clear direction and pushing project leadership and decision making down
- Promote risk taking and innovation through inspiring leadership and creating a safe environment to make mistakes
- Manage the career development of BC team – 3 direct reports
WHAT SETS YOU APART
- Proven track record developing effective marketing strategies and communication plans
- Strong retail business acumen
- Ability to interact effectively with and influence executives and business leaders
- Ability to effectively present and facilitate to/with a diverse audience with confidence
- Ability to exercise strategic thinking, mature judgment, and creative problem solving
- Proactive and driven in style
- Ability to learn quickly and easily adapt to a dynamic environment
- Ability to challenge the status quo and drive new ways of thinking of driving communications internally and externally
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- A non-political team player that can quickly establish him/herself as a valued member of the Company team
- Collaborates well across all areas of the organization
- A master storyteller and communicator as well as strategic leader
- Proven ability to manage complexity and ambiguity
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Willingness to roll up sleeves alongside the team while also providing higher level vision and direction
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 10+ years of experience in Brand Strategy, Marketing, Advertising, PR and management of leading integrated teams
- Experience with media strategy and creative development acumen. 4+ years of leadership and management, 2-3 years working with internal or external agencies
- Experience in fashion retail marketing is a plus
- Thorough knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Excellent presentation skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required
The primary environment for this role is an open office. Considerable business is conducted using the telephone and computer technology. Travel may be required 10% of the