Director of Business Analytics
The Director of Business Analytics at the University of Colorado Foundation provides project planning, business requirements & analysis, testing, information quality assurance, research/evaluation, documentation of policies/standards/procedures, and training to Foundation staff and stakeholders in the university. The Director of Business Analytics analyzes, designs, develops, and tests reports for business operations/applications using client/server databases. Manages data gathering, queries, and report writing for various projects and provides documentation and data analysis on request. Recommends information technology solutions to meet business needs and coordinates the planning, development, and implementation of these solutions. Experience with IBM Cognos Report Studio / Analytics is strongly preferred.
- Responsible, in collaboration with the Foundation’s leadership team and IT counterparts at CU, for developing and coordinating the execution of Foundation’s IT strategy and technology roadmap.
- Manage and enhance the Foundation’s IT and reporting infrastructure, including databases, analytics applications (IBM Cognos Report Studio), data warehouse (IBM Cognos), and other organizational technologies.
- Serve as a liaison for Foundation to University stakeholders (including IT and reporting teams) and third-party technology providers (e.g., Blackbaud, Concourse Hosting, Manage Engine), advocating for the IT and analytics needs of Foundation and developing effective partnerships to drive the execution of Foundation initiatives.
- Develop accessible, sustainable, and meaningful reports, dashboards, and visualizations that synthesize raw data into actionable information and provide analytical insight to Foundation staff and University stakeholders, informing business decisions and assisting in the achievement of organizational goals. (IBM Congos)
- Proactively drive process improvement through enhanced data collection, appropriately structured data architectures, centralized data storage, practical reporting, and innovative software solutions.
- Design, manage, and execute Foundation special projects as directed, with an emphasis on supporting project success through defined timelines, clear milestones, measurable results, and acting as a technical resource for all project stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of developments, trends, practices, and new technologies in the areas related to IT and analytics, assessing relevance and potential impact to Foundation. Evaluate and procure appropriate IT and analytics solutions to streamline business operations and support best practices.
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong grasp of ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) methodologies.
- Mapping out the conceptual design for planned databases and new data structures.
- Experience working in a team-based, fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- High level of comfort with learning, building and applying skills in technical areas.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service and communication skills, with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical language and concepts to end-user language and comprehension.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate successfully across departments.
- Ability to be innovative and creative in solving problems and work logically when troubleshooting and resolving issues.
- Ability to work independently and manage certain tasks with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of four (4) years business analytics or related experience required.
- Experience with IBM Cognos Report Studio / Analytics is strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with SQL, writing stored procedures & complex queries.
- Microsoft Office Products, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Outlook; accounting vendor software; software for generating text reports, donor vendor software. Must be highly proficient in Excel and Access.
- Familiarity with university development databases and operations preferred.
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge, Ellucian’s Advance, or similar software preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience development experience in SSRS/SSIS/SSAS strongly preferred.