Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports To: Managing Director of Risk and Policy
Revised: May 2017
Department: Human Resources
Division: Risk and Policy
The director of human resources is directly responsible for the overall management, administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resources function involving professional staff, related facility employees and volunteers.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Develop and administer various human resources plans and procedures for all organizational staff and volunteers; plan and control all activities of the department.
• Manage the human resources liaison relationship and responsibilities with Gamma Phi Beta’s professional employment organization (PEO).
• Perform biweekly payroll functions.
• Collaborate with professional staff and volunteers on the creation and revision of all job descriptions; manage the annual review process of all job descriptions.
• Develop, recommend and implement workforce policies and procedures; prepare and maintain handbook on policies and procedures; execute annual re-evaluation of policies for legal compliance and necessary updates.
• Establish and maintain department records and reports.
• Facilitate and participate in operations meetings.
• Create and execute annual workforce performance review strategies and documents.
• Implement and annually update the compensation program for professional staff, conduct compensation analysis as needed.
• Conduct recruitment efforts for all exempt and non-exempt employees; write and place advertisements; work with hiring managers to screen and interview candidates; conduct reference checks; extend job offers; conduct new employee orientation; monitor career-path and employee relations counseling; conduct exit interviews.
• Collaborate with International Headquarters leadership team to develop and manage regular professional staff development programs and activities.
• Supervise the volunteer human resources team, focusing on the volunteer hiring process, onboarding and orientation and overall volunteer engagement and retention.
• Direct recruitment efforts for all volunteers; manage online job posting and applications; partner with hiring managers to screen and interview candidates; coordinate the processing of mail votes and execute the official volunteer appointment procedure.
• Collaborate with the advisor and volunteer training manager to manage the initial and ongoing training components for volunteers.
• Develop, implement and evaluate strategies for retaining talent in both professional staff and volunteer roles using talent selection education, onboarding, training, performance management, recognition programs, accurate feedback reporting (i.e., exit interviews, job satisfaction surveys) and succession planning.
• Develop and evaluate decisions and results of department initiatives in relation to the organization’s strategic plan.
• Collaborate with professional staff and volunteers to ensure effective and efficient practices throughout the organization’s reorganization/restructuring project.
Additional Job Functions
• Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications department to create and maintain regular professional staff and volunteer communications.
• Partner with the director of Marketing and Communications to update and maintain all HR-related communications on the organization’s website.
• Work with the director of Administration to develop and maintain an online volunteer management system.
• Monitor and maintain the human resources and staff payroll budget.
• Assess current practices in the volunteer structure and suggest relevant changes.
• Plan and execute regular staff events to promote a fun, inviting company culture.
• Serve as a morale builder to promote Gamma Phi Beta pride internally and perpetuate a positive culture/environment for all employee and volunteers.
Directly supervises employees in the volunteer human resources department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and onboarding employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising and recognizing performance; performance management; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; and/or six to 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in human resources, business administration or related field preferred. PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification preferred.
• Human resources job-related experience.
• Cultural awareness with the ability to manage relationships.
• Ethical business practices with the ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Communication and consultation skills.
• Leadership, navigation and critical evaluation skills.
• Proven computer software expertise.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to prioritize projects and adjust to changing prioritization.
• High level of organization.
• Accurate and efficient; attention to detail.
• Proven follow-through.
• Team player and effective work practices under pressure while meeting all applicable deadlines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have advanced knowledge of Internet software, electronic mail software (Outlook), word processing software (Word), membership database software (such as iMIS), presentation software (PowerPoint), human resources-related software as well as the ability and interest to quickly learn Sorority’s proprietary reporting, training and volunteer management software programs.
Business Related Contacts
International Headquarters staff, International Council, Gamma Phi Beta Facilities Management Company Board of Managers, ADP TotalSource, Sorority volunteers, Sorority members and external partners, as applicable.
This position is based at Gamma Phi Beta Sorority Headquarters in Centennial, Colorado. Remote employment will not be considered.