Special Education Director
Glenwood Springs, Carbondale and Basalt Colorado
The Roaring Fork School District is seeking applications for an experienced, self-directed, innovative leader to serve as the Special Education Director. RFSD serves a diverse student population of 5588 PreK-12th grade students and the Special Education Director is responsible for the leadership, coordination, and implementation of the District’s special education services to ensure that every student develops the enduring knowledge, skills and character to thrive in a changing world. RFSD is in the process of evaluating and potentially reorganizing the service delivery model for special education; the new director would be a key leader in developing a new vision for special education in the Roaring Fork schools and for implementing that vision in collaboration with a team of 20 direct reports and 12 schools.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate significant skill and experience in:
- Developing and implementing the vision, mission, values, expectations and goals of a special education program
- Leading a diverse team of special service providers and special education teachers
- Creating trust and working collaboratively in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment
- Identifying and promoting effective instructional practices
- Knowledge and experience with best practices in delivery of special education services
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and rules governing special education services
- Applying top-notch interpersonal skills, including public speaking
- Managing and organizing complex, multi-phase processes and projects
- Recruiting, hiring, coaching, and evaluating a wide range of personnel
- Developing and applying strategic plans, and employing data-driven analyses and decision-making
- Creating an atmosphere that reflects student ownership of academic and character development
- Participating as a team member while also leading
- Understanding and leading the student success process (RtI, MTSS)
Candidates should have a minimum of five years experience in special education with additional leadership or supervision experience. Requires the ability to obtain and maintain an appropriate license through CDE for the position of Special Education Director.
Start Date: July 1, 2017
Salary: Commensurate with experience and education
To apply, visit www.rfschools.com
Please apply by February 10, 2017
RFSD is located in the Roaring Fork Valley on the western slope of Colorado amidst the majestic Elk Mountain Range, the waters of the Roaring Fork, Crystal and Colorado rivers, and the commanding presence of Mount Sopris. We are 13 schools with over 5,500 students in the communities of Glenwood Springs, Basalt and Carbondale.