About Colorado Succeeds
We are the business leaders of Colorado, who have joined forces to make sure the education system works better and smarter for all the people of Colorado.
We believe Colorado is the best place to live and work, and we want it to stay that way. This great state can only continue its tradition of excellence when all of our children are educated to their greatest potential, and all of our businesses have the talented and innovative homegrown workforce they need.
Education is the key—it unlocks success for everyone. It’s every child’s right, and every business’s most precious resource. We believe great schools are good business. We know when Colorado schools improve, everybody wins.
The roles and responsibilities of the position include:
Early Childhood Education
• Lead policy analysis and research efforts focused on early childhood education, including tracking early childhood education legislation and rulemaking.
• Represent the organization at early childhood education convenings with policymakers and key stakeholders ensuring the perspective of the business community is communicated.
• Support key strategic relationships with the Governor, legislature, state agencies, and the State Board of Education.
• Identify ways the organization can engage in early childhood education with a focus on policy opportunities, but also tracking opportunities for member engagement and philanthropy.
Communications and Advocacy
• Lead policy writing projects under the direction of Vice President of Government Affairs related to the full policy agenda, implementation of key priorities, and update existing policy briefs.
• Support the development and implementation of advocacy campaigns that successfully engage our members and other key education stakeholders to drive policy agenda forward.
• Lead advocacy strategies that utilize the organization’s statewide network of chambers of commerce and other business associations.
• Support the development of policy briefing materials, including testimonies, factsheets, and blogs promoting policy wins.
• Support communications efforts through content development for the website, newsletter and social media posts.
• Support the development of briefing materials for the quarterly Succeeds policy committee meetings, including successful communication of meeting take-aways to the full board of directors.
• Lead efforts to share policy content with national and state stakeholders, including conference submissions.
• Assist with legislative tracking, managing databases that track interactions with public officials, and lobbying disclosures.
• Strong writing skills including experience with writing short factsheets or policy briefs that summarize difficult information in a concise manner.
• Experience navigating federal or state education policy, including an understanding of the agency rulemaking process.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills with experience in navigating complex relationships across multiple stakeholders with varied interests.
• Commitment to Colorado Succeeds’ mission and goals for improving the education system.
• Experience in Colorado and familiarity with Colorado’s early childhood education system.
• Experience as an effective coalition builder with the ability to connect key stakeholders to accomplish organizational objectives.
• Ability to influence and persuade and sell the Succeeds programmatic agenda to policymakers and members.
• Enjoy working hard and looking for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even when limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance and take unpopular stands when necessary.
• Excellent project management skills, including experience managing multiple large projects at a time: ability to develop strategic goals, set metrics for measuring success, and adjust as needed in the fluid, fast-paced, work managing political change.
• Self-starter who stays well informed on issues/trends in education reform and emerging policy issues.
• Brings a can-do attitude and what-ever-it-takes willingness to achieve goals and support colleagues.
• The ability to critically assess challenges and identify effective solutions.
• An interest in traveling to national conferences and meetings across the state.
• At least 5 – 7 years of policy experience, preferably in a policy and advocacy environment focused on education.
Full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package available.