Graphic Designer/Art Director
Welcome to the Denver Art Museum, where we believe that art can make a difference in peoples’ lives by celebrating & stimulating creativity and inspiring greater understanding & connection with our world. The DAM aspires to be a beloved anchor in Denver’s cultural & creative ecosystem and a national beacon for the ingenuity & boldness of our community. Are you ready to join a dynamic team of creative, motivated people who are passionate about delivering world-class experiences? If so, please proceed! In turn, the Denver Art Museum delivers competitive wages and benefits in a work environment that promotes excellence and rewards dedication and commitment.
Work directly with the Design Manager in the design and production of graphics to create marketing materials that best reflect and elevate the DAM brand in the marketplace. Provide thoughtful design solutions that best reach intended audiences and that represent the creativity and caliber of the museum.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (items which constitute approximately 80% of responsibilities)
- Participate in the design and production for a variety of graphic projects, working in collaboration with both marketing and cross-departmental team members and colleagues.
- Develop design concepts including logos, advertising creative, on-site/environmental graphics, a variety of print projects, and branding for new and on-going initiatives and projects.
- Produce new and revised versions of advertisements in a variety of media, as requested and desired, including dynamic online executions
- Format images for digital communications projects including online ads, the Denver Art Museum website, social media applications, and on-site digital signs.
- Design of the bi-monthly member magazine, working closely with the editor to create a premium print publication that meets the goals of the museum and best merchandises the exhibitions and programs
- Design the annual report
- Provide design counsel and review to internal clients at the museum (other departments, support groups), as needed and requested. Ability to proactively offer and develop appropriate design solutions in response to business needs.
- Active participation in discussions and brainstorms for creative development and optimization, as needed
- Play a role in the ongoing visual management and evolution of the Denver Art Museum website design , ensuring the website look and feel is representative of the on-site museum experience and furthers the visual identity of the brand.
- Understanding of visual brand standards, and the willingness to adhere to and protect the quality and integrity of the museum’s brand through high-quality, consistent design practices.
- Assist in optimizing the creative development process for the institution, communicating with internal clients to create a creative process that allows collaboration and discussion and results in the best creative outcome for the museum.
- Provide art direction for photography and video shoots, as assigned.
- Coordinate the production and delivery of creative projects, as needed. This may include preparing written specifications for outside vendors, securing bids, and revising specifications to accommodate budgets or change in project parameters.
- Maintain accurate and retrievable files on all projects.
- Manage the production and design work of contract designers, agencies or interns.
Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Excellent sense of design, layout and typography combined with solid production skills in In-Design, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and MS Office.
- Ability to proactively develop and communicate design concepts, clearly present design rationale and coordinate delivery with project managers and to clients.
- Enthusiasm and interest in the design process from initial concept to finished product.
- Strong desire to always find the best design solution for each project and a commitment to excellence for projects of all types and sizes
- Ability to work within established guidelines and project parameters.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines and budgetary needs for each.
- Skill in establishing effective working relationships with other staff, team members and vendors.
- Experience in developing production specifications for outside vendors, reviewing and comparing vendor bids.
- Experience selecting and preparing images for online use a plus.
- Ability and desire to mentor and coach younger designers and interns.
Additional Skills (desired, but not necessary)
- Experience in large scale environmental graphic design projects.
- Experience in the design, development and software in motion graphics.
- Experience in video production and video editing software.
- Experience with shooting original photography.
Education or Formal Training
- Minimum 2-year degree in graphic design or art (B.A. or B.F.A. Preferred)
- Minimum 3 years graphic design experience.
Working Environment/Physical Activities (lifting, coordination, temperature, hazards, interruptions, etc.)
- Sitting, working with hands, working with fingers, talking, hearing, vision
- Some lifting and moving
- Subject to interruptions
This is full-time position with benefits. If you are interested in this position, please use the online application process at: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/index.php?/jobs&clientkey=6F0CCA38B9135DC3CC20883865902788&jpt=
Deadline for application is July 31, 2017.
It is the policy of the Denver Art Museum to prohibit discrimination against any person or organization based on age, race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, marital status, gender, veteran status, political service, affiliation or disability.