Outward Bound is the leading wilderness-based nonprofit experiential education organization in the United States. Outward Bound has a worldwide presence and remains strongly connected to its founding philosophy of emphasizing the development of individual wisdom and courage through adventure-based experiential education in a safe and supportive environment. Outward Bound USA has more than 1,000,000 alumni and serves more than 50,000 young people and adults each year.
The Outward Bound Services Group (OBSG) was formed in 2012 as a member-managed organization providing shared marketing services in support of the national network of regional Outward Bound schools in the U.S. The purpose of OBSG is:
- To increase enrollments of national Open Enrollment programs in the regional schools and build equity in the Outward Bound brand
- To design, direct and implement national sales and marketing services for wilderness-based programs delivered by its members. This includes: National website; National social media; National catalog and any collateral in support of targeted marketing programs
- To lead and coordinate course inventory planning, optimization and management
- To effectively operate a national admissions office to answer inquires and initiate enrollments
- To manage the national course inventory database, alumni and CRM programs
- To coordinate with national scholarship partners to enroll their participants
- To coordinate national – regional sales and marketing activities
The Director of Sales is responsible for leading sales activities to fill Outward Bound Open Enrollment (OE) courses for Member Schools. The Director of Sales will report to the Executive Director of OBSG and will lead sales and admissions activities to fill Open Enrollment courses for OBSG Member Schools. This position will be the OBSG point of contact for Member School Outreach & Admissions staff. The successful candidate will bring strong sales and sales management expertise, experience working in a service organization and matrixed organization; and strong interpersonal communication skills. Experience in the Education Industry is a strong plus.
Functions & Responsibilities
National Sales Plan
- Develop annual OE national sales plan to achieve sales/enrollment targets; working in partnership with Marketing Director, Operations Director and Executive Director
- Integrate annual sales plan and process with annual OE Inventory planning process
- Develop and manage an effective national sales/enrollment strategy that supports Regional OBSG member school’s admissions and outreach efforts
- Establish and track progress of sales goals on a weekly, monthly, annual basis
- Support annual planning process and development of OBSG’s national marketing and sales plan
- Coordinate National events and conferences working with member school sales teams
- Strategic and functional leadership for; lead management, lead follow up processes and systems generation strategies and programs
- Continually improve sales process and conversion at the point of sale
- Monitor, review and report on all sales activity with sufficient frequency to assure results and/or corrective action on variances
- Lead meetings focused on tracking daily/weekly progress toward sales goals; take actions where needed
- Respond to and manage enrollment issues from member schools during enrollment season(s)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential. Interacting and updating school Executive Directors and the OBSG Board on progress against plan is a key responsibility
- OBSG point of contact for the Admissions & Outreach staff at the eight Regional OBSG member schools
Admissions, Outreach & Sales
- Provide leadership in a collaborative environment to assure seamless integration throughout the network of regional schools
- Provide effective sales/outreach mentorship and consultative support to OBSG member Regional school sales and outreach staff
- Provide Weekly/Monthly reports on admission, outreach and enrollment performance
- Manage/develop reporting systems and processes
National Admissions and Outreach Team
- Oversee Admissions and Outreach sales staff
- Recruit, hire, train and develop OBSG Admissions and Outreach sales staff
- Provide effective sales/outreach mentorship, consultative support, and training to OBSG Admissions and Outreach teams
- Oversee operations of the National Admissions Office (NAO)
- The successful candidate will have a track record of successfully developing and managing sales programs and teams. The ideal candidate will possess strong skills and previous experience with inbound and outbound call center strategies and operations, on-line and off-line media.
- A proven ability to manage a sales team and really “move the needle” on sales growth
- Record of sales growth particularly using internet-based initiatives; particularly targeting the 14 – 22-year-old age group; understanding and experience marketing/selling to a range of highly targeted age groups essential
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with customers and products in an on-line sales environment
- Demonstrated experience with developing strategies for applying technology and new media in the sales process
- Demonstrated experience setting and maintaining excellence in communication and collaboration
- Strong financial, administrative and management experience with technology and database systems
- Track record of confronting and creatively solving challenging situations; self-directed and solution-oriented
- Familiarity with Outward Bound and passion for its mission and programs
Additional Skills & Personal Attributes
- Support creating a highly professional, energetic and proactive environment that ensures high mutual regard across member schools
- Leadership: Ability to provide strategic thinking as well as strong behavioral models setting positive example for OBSG staff and the network
- Communication: Strong peer level communication skills are essential. Also, highly valued is the ability to prepare and present Board level communications in written and oral form; and helping to establish and maintain an effective system of communication throughout the organization
- Minimum ten years of progressive responsibility developing and managing sales programs and teams.
- Strong executional skills; operationally sound; detail oriented
- Strong people skills and team oriented approach to leadership and problem-solving
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills; Board Level, C-Suite, Peer to Peer, Distributed staff
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of CRM platforms and business intelligence tools
- Experience leveraging technology to create efficiency, improve customer experience and improve sales performance
- Bachelor’s Degree required
Compensation & Benefits
- Full time benefit eligible position; benefits include medical, dental, vision and paid vacation and sick time.
- Starting annual salary range between $80,000 and $95,000, commensurate with experience.
- Annual Employee Bonus Plan.
- Opportunities for professional development and training.
- Outward Bound course tuition benefit.
- Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by Friday, September 28th to LaRae Marsik at email@example.com. No phone calls please.