PSIA-AASI is an internationally recognized education association serving the snowsports industry, with a national membership of more than 32,000 ski and snowboard instructors. The Public Relations Intern is responsible for assisting the marketing department with day-to-day activities such as copywriting, digital marketing, education marketing, media relations, public relations, and more.
This position is unpaid and applicants must work with their college or university for class credit, however, upon completion, intern will amass quality writing samples and learn the inner workings of the snowsports and association industry. Candidates must be available for at least 16 hours per week, although scheduling is flexible between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. The internship term is a 12 – 16-week program that consists of the first 4 weeks, the intern immerses him/herself in a specific department (which he/she interviewed); then, during the next 8 – 12 weeks, the intern actively works on projects giving him/her a better understanding of how each work independently.
- Assist as needed with creation of concise, accurate and informative email blasts that contain key messages and engage audiences.
- Propose SEO key words and phrases for website news articles and social media posts.
- Add SEO key words and phrases to each web news article to drive growth for organic search.
- Manage maintenance and updating of SEO key words for news articles, using content management system.
- As needed, assist with some social media efforts including writing and posting updates on various outlets.
- Update, create and compile media contact lists.
- Create editorial schedule for monthly press releases.
- Develop, write, and distribute keyword rich press releases about company and industry news.
- Draft basic public relations materials including media alerts, fact sheets, and other materials as needed.
- Write pitches and assist with media correspondence.
- Pitch story ideas to print, broadcast and digital media.
- Assist with planning of consumer expos and provide support for events.
- Assist with tracking and analyzing results and organizing news coverage.
- Monitor third-party industry news and social media sites.
- Assist program areas with writing copy for member benefits sections as needed.
- Assist with administrative duties, such as author agreements.
- Help organize and manage photography archives.
- Assist with monitoring and updating inventories for printed materials.
- Junior or Senior-level students enrolled in a four-year degree program in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Business or related degree. Degree must be in-progress.
- Preferred coursework in Public Relations, Communications, Digital and/or Social Media.
- Some experience working at an organization in a journalism, marketing, communications, public relations position helpful.
- High-level understanding and interest in networking and communications technology, its societal impact and relevance in consumer and business markets.
- Must have excellent oral communication and writing skills, attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Must be able to work independently and collaborate cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to interact professionally with internal stakeholders and demonstrate good judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in team-oriented environment.
- High level of energy, confidence, tenacity, adaptability and a desire to learn.
- Good understanding of how key words and phrases tie into organic search and into Google Ad Words.
- Good understanding of the communications strategies of social networking sites and ability and willingness to learn new software and programs as required.
- Intermediate PC-based systems proficiency, including Microsoft Office applications, content management systems, and ability and willingness to learn new software and programs as required.