The Greeley Tribune is looking for a proactive, organized quick thinker to serve as our next realtime reporter. Are you plugged into the social media world? Do you have solid writing and news judgment skills? Are you comfortable writing, taking photos and shooting video for breaking and other news events? Would you like to live in Colorful Colorado, at the doorstop of the majestic Rocky Mountains? Then this job is for you. The ideal candidate knows how to work on deadline, and is proactive in seeking out and reporting stories. Our realtime reporter is the first one in the office each morning, and he or she will be asked to analyze website data, manage social media channels and monitor the web and scanner traffic for interesting news or breaking news stories. The position requires strong organizational skills, as well as flexibility.
Please Visit www.swiftcom.com/careers and select job 1734 to apply.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Research, write and report compelling journalism that continuously grows an audience by informing and engaging readers.
- Faithfully execute the publisher/general manager and managing editor’s vision of the newspaper and content plan.
- Cover all breaking news with urgency and accuracy with the goal of always being first to report important developing news on our digital platforms
- Write and file well-written, bylined stories and/or sidebars along with photographs or videos to illustrate*
- Cultivate relationship with community members and leaders by attending community functions and events.
- Post error-free basic stories to our digital platforms, including sending push alerts and pushing content to social media, twitter, and instagram.
- Verify statements and facts by following social media, making phone calls to sources, listening to police scanners, seeking out eyewitnesses, tracking court dockets for key cases and demanding public records.
- Understand and embrace the concepts of readability in crafting stories and developing sidebars as well as providing materials for informational graphics.
- Adhere to the newsroom workflow to meet all deadlines
- Review competitor publications, websites, blogs and social media to research beats and develop story ideas for print, social media, and news websites.
- Attend staff meetings and communicates routinely with editors, designers, and peers within the organization.
- Edit and upload photos and videos to system, creating cut lines for each.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- College degree and/or equivalent experience
- Excellent listening, speaking, and written communication skills.
- Strong computer/digital skills with understanding of various platforms utilized in production of stories and photographs
- Working knowledge of Associated Press style and an understanding of the daily newspaper environment.
- Strong interest in news and the community.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.