Principal duties and responsibilities:
- As Editor of the Docket, fact check and edit volunteer authors writing with an eye to both style and content; propose and solicit content from members; lead monthly Docket Committee meetings; work with the Graphic Designer to create the publication layout.
- Draft a variety of written communications content, including but not limited to: internal and external communications; Tweets and Facebook posts; news releases; blog posts; content for the website; email action alerts; op-eds; speeches and talking points; newsletter and annual report content, and publication articles.
- When requested, ghostwrite for bar leadership for publications, and internal and external communications.
- Identify engaging and professional content and visuals that reflect the bar’s mission on social media pages (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn).
- Ensure that all written communications are consistent with our organizations’ values and brand identity.
- Learn how to use and manage various technologies, including our membership database.
- Assist the team with the selling of print and digital ads for the Associations’ publications.
- Represent the organization when appropriate at meetings and events. Some evenings and weekends are required.
- Handle ad hoc copyediting, writing, reporting, and administrative requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and knowledge:
- A fast, precise, and persuasive writer and editor with strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with an ability to master organizational style guides.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills to work with BAR staff across departments and external stakeholders, including member volunteers, and other content contributors and reviewers.
- Demonstrated ability to practice sound judgment and problem solve issues when they arise.
- Able to quickly craft messaging and identify best methods of delivery to advance the Bars’ missions.
- Ability to work within a highly collaborative team environment while also knowing how and when to take initiative.
- Ability to keep relevant stakeholders informed of projects at the appropriate stages to ensure seamless knowledge-sharing and collaboration.
- Proficient in WordPress, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Comfortable taking photos at events and shooting video.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about public legal issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in English, Creative Writing, Journalism or related field.
- 1+ years of professional experience writing and editing content across a variety of digital and print channels.
- Typically, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- For best consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume by 8 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017. Position will remain open until filled.