Summit Daily News seeks A&E and magazine editor
Here at the Summit Daily News, we punch above our weight, producing award-winning, impactful journalism that seeks to hold authority accountable and strengthen the bonds of our communities.
We live to tell the story of Summit County, where people from across the country come to explore the outdoors. We're looking for an adventurous spirit with a love for mountain towns.
This position is a hybrid role that is responsible for supporting the editor in a variety of newsroom functions with a main focus on covering the arts and entertainment beat for the daily newspaper. This position is also in charge of our magazine and special section publications, with duties including editing copy, providing assignments and guidance to reporters and freelancers, and coordinating layout with designers.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Writing four to eight stories about arts and entertainment for the daily newspaper.
- Managing the calendar of events for the daily newspaper and magazines.
- Proofreading, editing, writing headlines and sending the newspaper to print as needed.
- Reviewing stories for clarity, accuracy, readability and content.
- Editing, requesting revisions and rewriting stories.
- Checking facts through extensive and meticulous research.
- Providing feedback to reporters on performance and making suggestions on sources or additional facts needed for stories.
- Coordinating with the copy desk on layout by providing additional materials such as graphs, charts, photos or videos so the reader can better understand story concepts.
- Creating content plans for all magazines and distributing assignments to in-house reporters and freelance photographers.
- Maintaining production schedules and updating editor on progress or issues.
- Participating in content planning to decide on direction, design and future trends of publications.
- Assisting in the planning of series and feature stories.
- Posting stories online and to social media.
- Leading one-on-one and group sessions to coach, guide and direct staff work assignments.
- Interacting with all editorial, advertising, business office, design and production staff.
- Participating in community events and company functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree in journalism, communications, English or related field.
- Prior magazine or newspaper editing experience.
- Excellent people and leadership skills.
- Ability to work on deadline and handle pressure.
- Outstanding organization and communication skills.
Those interested in applying should send a resume, cover letter and published writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.