Join a thriving online tech media startup!
Online media company covering the software industry is seeking a full-time Associate Editor with a journalism degree for its growing online news, analysis, and research site. Responsibilities include supporting senior reporters with tasks such as putting together the daily newsletter, creating “roundup-type” stories, and cultivating an audience for the publication on social media. The associate editor will also gain experience writing stories and working a beat. This job is located in Denver, Colorado.
SDxCentral is not a traditional media site, but one that is constantly innovating to bring new, relevant content, data, and community services to the next generation of networking users and vendors. Creativity and originality will be encouraged.
We aren’t shy about asking the hard questions even if they are not popular with some of our sponsors and/or advertisers. Readers and sponsors respect this practice, and it is core to our credibility.
- Format the daily newsletter using Mailchimp and make sure it gets distributed to readers every day. You will work closely with the managing editor on this task.
- Oversee social media efforts via Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook and find new ways to engage with readers.
- Research and write engaging “list” features that help establish us as a leader in this space.
- Write five to seven news articles per week. Regularly talk to sources in your beat, monitor news wires, and competitors to make sure you are aware of the latest developments.
- Compile and write the weekly News Roundup.
- Compile and write a monthly column on people in the industry.
- Oversee the Guest Columns and Contributed Content.
- Manage the company style guide – keep it updated and enforce the style guidelines.
- Copyedit articles from other writers as necessary. Make sure they follow style guidelines and conform to our content management system.
- Assist the editor in chief in any other miscellaneous tasks including corresponding with readers, answering questions from public relations members looking for coverage, or working with potential contributing writers that need extra guidance.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism and two years of experience working at an online publication or media company. Candidate must understand online news industry and how to craft compelling news articles.
- Strong copyediting skills–editing test will be administered to all qualified candidates.
- Experience in social media and knowledge of content management systems.
- Interest in the networking/enterprise or telecom industries preferred.
- Must be able to work independently to achieve deadlines.
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic.