Position TitleAssociate Vice President for University Advancement
Salary for Announcement
The anticipated hiring range for this role is $101,500- $135,500. The full salary range for this position is $101,500- $169,500. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
For more information on MSU Denver’s compensation structure, please visit https://www.msudenver.edu/hr/compensation/professionalexecutivestaff/compensationstructureandguidelines/
DepartmentVP of University Advancement
EClass CodeFull Time Professional Staff
The Associate Vice President of University Advancement (AVP) reports to the Vice President of University Advancement (VPUA) who also serves as the Executive Director of the MSU Denver Foundation. This position serves on the UA Senior Leadership Team and is a leader in driving and overseeing the transformational, major, and planned gift activities of the Development Department within University Advancement (UA). This position also oversees the donor relations and prospect management teams and plays a lead role in campaign planning and management.
The AVP of UA will manage a team of gift officers, donor relations and prospect management professionals while building and maintaining a portfolio of high-level donors. The AVP assists the team in developing donor and campaign strategies, reviewing agreements/proposals, and assigning/managing relationships. He/she also serves as a key liaison with board members and University partners, including deans and senior leadership to ensure that UA is integrating effectively with other parts of the system. As a member of UA’s Senior Leadership Team, the AVP assists the VPUA in overall departmental leadership and establishing and maintaining the strategic direction for the division.
40% Management and Team Leadership
· Lead, train, support, and supervise a team that includes major, lead annual and planned gift fundraisers as well as donor relations, prospect management, and administrative professionals
· Coach team of fundraisers on effective strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors, including planned giving
· Develop and monitor team goals and metrics related to donor visits, solicitations, and gifts and pledges closed
· Support efforts to engage Foundation Board members in identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors to the University, including compiling board member metrics
· Plan and facilitate regular fundraiser meetings to drive strategy needed to accomplish fundraising goals
· Provide guidance and strategy to stewardship programs and fund management
· Provide direction and leadership for prospect management and research, setting measurable goals that ensure fundraising staff have the information needed to target their work with donors
· Create, advise on and review donor agreements
· Manage a portfolio of 30-50 major donors
· Until planned giving staff is hired, lead planned giving strategy, manage key legacy donors, and assist other team members on planned gifts
· Lead and/or advise on fundraising efforts related to major initiatives and campaigns, including developing implementation strategies and benchmarks
· Collaborate with and support volunteers, university leaders, faculty, and staff in strategies to identify, cultivate and/or solicit major donors; provide training or coaching, as needed
· Collaborate with Advancement colleagues in strategic efforts to build a culture of philanthropy campus-wide
25% – Leadership
· Serve as principal advisor to the VPUA
· Provide updates to the VPUA and other administrative staff on the status of fundraising performance, staff-related matters, and campus updates
· Represent UA and/or the VP at meetings, community events and on committees/ task forces, as assigned
· Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team for UA, including attending meetings and working collaboratively with colleagues on shared projects
· Develop systems and processes that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of fundraising operations
· Ensure that advancement policies and procedures are faithfully implemented by UA staff
· In coordination with the VPUA and UA Senior Leadership Team, oversee the development and implementation of both long- and short-term division strategic plans
· Manage the budget for the development department and assist with leadership for overall UA budgeting process
· Attend University events, donor functions, and meetings of the Foundation Board
5% other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
· Five years of professional fundraising experience in higher education or other non-profits with demonstrated success in personally soliciting and closing major gifts
· Experience building, motivating, and leading a team of fundraising professionals and partners in achieving measurable results
· Supervisory experience with fundraisers, including a track record of leading a metrics-driven fundraising team
· Expertise in planned gifts
Please ensure resume clearly demonstrates how these qualifications are met.
· Master’s degree or other advanced degree
· Experience leading a comprehensive campaign, including capital projects
· Knowledge of Donor Relations best practices
· Knowledge of Prospect Management best practices[BK1]
· Competency with Raiser’s Edge database system
· Knowledge of Denver’s philanthropic community
· Ability to engage, build and influence relationships
· Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as an integral member of a team
· Understand and be motivated by the mission and core values of MSU Denver
Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm, but hours may vary.
Closing InstructionsOpen Until Filled
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT)11/30/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
“References” refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
The health and safety of students, faculty, staff and our prospective teammates are our highest priority and as an institution, we are required to have proof of vaccination on file for all employees.
MSU Denver is requiring all employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated for Covid-19, or to submit an exemption and be subject to following the Covid-19 safety protocols. As an employee of MSU Denver, an exemption or lack of proof of vaccination will require you to submit to weekly Covid-19 testing starting the week of August 23, 2021.
Additionally, all institutions on campus are requiring that masks be worn indoors regardless of your vaccinations status.
MSU Denver is pleased to offer our current and potential employees a wide array of benefit options. To learn more, please visit the following link:
Employee Benefits Offerings
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a unique, access-oriented campus community that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. Our student population consists of nearly 50% first generation students and over 45% students of color. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution located in downtown Denver.
We create an equitable learning and working environment in concert with individuals who consistently demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusion. We greatly value the diverse identities and perspectives of our students, faculty, and staff and recognize that in order to achieve a just and equitable society, diversity must go beyond simple representation. It requires critical inquiry and dialogue and a commitment to action. We strive to provide a culture of belonging for all community members to achieve personal and professional success.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).