The Strategic Communication faculty member will direct a new program in Strategic Communication and teach courses within it on the Lakewood, CO campus starting Fall 2020. The faculty member will also work collaboratively with other department and school faculty, lead the development, implementation, and proliferation of a Digital Media Center within the new Armstrong Center, and assist the Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences in program and course development. This faculty member will specialize in Strategic Communication, Digital Media, and Strategic Public Relations.
Faculty members of Colorado Christian University (CCU) teach assigned courses for which they are highly qualified within the College of Undergraduate Studies (CUS). Each faculty member uses effective instruction techniques as a subject matter expert, but their primary responsibility is to integrate field-specific pedagogies with the Holy Bible and their personal experience with Jesus Christ. They are also expected to integrate and teach CCU’s spiritual, academic, and cultural Strategic Priorities.
Other duties are to support the mission and vision of CCU. This may include actively participating in committee/task force/team meetings, writing curriculum, reporting on assessments/outcomes, advancing scholarship, engaging with the community, supporting colleagues, or doing other work assigned by the Dean. Faculty members are expected to keep regular office hours to engage with students and assist them with their academics or other activities that support the University’s holistic approach.
The standard teaching load is 24 credit hours of undergraduate courses per year or four courses per semester. Faculty rank is open based upon prior rank, qualifications, and experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach assigned undergraduate courses within the College of Undergraduate Studies (CUS) Department of Communication in accord with all standard policies and procedures using a variety of best-practice teaching and learning strategies, including classroom and online technology, to enhance instruction. A typical load is 24 credit hours of in-seat communication (or related discipline) undergraduate courses during the academic year.
- Serve as Director of the new program in Strategic Communication. In collaboration with the Department Chair, develop new courses, recruit adjunct faculty, coordinate assessment, and serve as point person for the recruitment, enrollment, and retention of students in the program. Typically 3-6 teaching units per academic year will be reassigned for program leadership duties, depending on the nature of those duties.
- Advocate for CCU’s mission, traditional Christian beliefs, and the Strategic Priorities.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate course curriculum, teaching-learning practices, and assess student learning outcomes.
- Engage students; maintain established office hours and be available to individual students for questions, coursework, consultations, and informal mentoring.
- Demonstrate a proven track record and ongoing experience in their field. Faculty members are also expected to engage in professional organization activities and scholarly work including, but not limited to, publications and presentations.
- Provide strategic thinking in fulfilling the goals of CUS in support of the University Strategic Priorities as well as contribute effectively to the University community, ministry partners, corporate partners, and general audiences. Strong participation in faculty, committee, or other meetings is an integral part of this position.
- Add to the development of a Christ-centered community of learners and scholars within the College of Undergraduate Studies. Continue to grow in personal commitment to and effectiveness in the integration of Christian faith and learning and provide effective servant/shepherd leadership among faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
- Participate in the mission of the University beyond the classroom through activities such as committee/task force/team work, community development, or similar activities internally and externally, which enhance and advance exemplary academics, personal spiritual growth, and engagement with the world. Work effectively and positively with administrators, other faculty colleagues, and support staff to establish and maintain effective positive working relationships.
- Participate in extracurricular activities to support and encourage students, colleagues and staff.
- Assist the dean with other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- M.A. in Communication or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus significant Strategic Communication/Public Relations industry experience, required. Ph.D. in related discipline preferred. Each faculty member must be considered highly qualified as outlined by the University’s accreditation and academic standards.
- Experience leading strategic communication agencies, programs, and campaigns required. Skills in video and audio production and digital media, and experience leading a student public relations agency strongly preferred.
- Three or more years of successful teaching experience in a college or university is preferred, with a proven track record of student learning and engagement through previous classroom evaluations by students, faculty, and administration.
- Superior oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Passionate about Christ-centered higher education and dedicated to the integration of faith and learning in their field. Deeply committed to student success.
- Proficient in appropriate Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to use appropriate software/technology (Blackboard) in the learning environment.
- Committed to learning new ideas for classroom presentations and dynamic class interactions to engage student learning in a meaningful way consistent with the University’s mission.
Nature of Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to walk, stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, speak with clarity, and have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee may work occasional irregular hours, including some nights and weekends. Regular public presentations to students, parents, and external constituents required. Colorado Christian University expects all faculty and staff to become a part of the University community by participating in activities and events that occur on the campus throughout the year, which may occur during evenings and weekends.
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ, who believes there is no salvation apart from faith in his atonement on the cross, by grace alone becoming "born again" thus beginning a personal relationship with Christ, the Son of God.
- Able to effectively communicate personal faith and apply biblical principles and convictions in the workplace. Must have a strong sense of calling to the ministry of Colorado Christian University.
- Regularly attend and be engaged in meaningful involvement in a Bible-believing evangelical local church. Knowledgeable about the Word of God and passionate about Christian education.
- Must be a traditional evangelical Christian whose lifestyle is in consonance with sound Christian principles, is compatible with CCU’s Statement of Faith, and is in agreement with the Strategic Priorities promulgated by the University.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Colorado Christian University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status. CCU is committed to an environment free from discrimination and harassment and calls on every member of the university community to be vigilant in deterring and reporting all violations. CCU does reserve the right to exercise preference on the basis of religion in all of its employment practices. All employees who work at CCU must demonstrate a spiritual testimony consistent with our evangelical mission and follow our lifestyle expectations.