About Our Job
Who We Are
Denver International Airport (DEN) is the third-busiest airport in the United States and one of the top ten busiest airports in the world, connecting our community globally through flight and business. DEN is the primary economic engine for the state of Colorado, generating more than $36.4 billion for the region annually and employing nearly 37,000 people. At DEN, we are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We celebrate individuality and uplift all races, ethnicities, gender identities, national origins, ages, abilities, religion, and LGBTQIA+ communities. We know that our diversity makes us stronger, and we strive to keep diversity, equity and inclusion at the center of all that we do.
What We Offer
The City and County of Denver offers a competitive salary commensurate with education and experience. The salary range for this position is $170,301.00 – $289,512.00. We also offer generous benefits for full-time employees which includes but is not limited to:
- A guaranteed life-long monthly pension
- 457B Retirement plan
- 140 hours of PTO earned within first year + 13 Paid Holidays per year
- Competitive medical, dental and vision plans effective within 1 month of start date
What You’ll Do
Denver International Airport is seeking a Chief of Staff to lead and implement the CEO’s Vision and Strategy. The Chief of Staff is a member of Denver International Airport’s executive body and is responsible for operationalizing the broader vision, strategy, and goals.
The Chief of Staff for the Denver International Airport is a senior executive leadership role responsible for providing strategic counsel and operational support to the CEO. Serving as a trusted advisor, the Chief of Staff plays a critical role in systems integration, coordinating and aligning the efforts of city and DEN departments, managing special projects, and facilitating effective communication within the administration and amongst our many stakeholders. This position requires exceptional leadership, strategic thinking, and relationship-building skills to advance the CEO’s priorities and drive positive outcomes for the local and regional community. This includes the small and minority business community and labor partners.
As the Chief of Staff, you will operationalize the strategic direction and vision of the CEO and lead the fiscal and operational strategy of the executive office, to drive high impact, equitable outcomes for the Denver International Airport.
Additionally, as the Chief of Staff, you will be responsible for:
- Systems Integration: examining and ensuring the work of capital/program management, operations, maintenance, and customer service are properly tied together, as in “integrated” into a single ecosystem that coordinates and anticipates overall system impacts and/or challenges.
- Strategic Planning and Execution: Collaborate closely with the CEO to develop and execute strategic plans and initiatives aligned with the administration’s vision and priorities. Provide analysis, recommendations, and decision support on complex policy, operational, and organizational matters. Drive cross-departmental collaboration and coordination to ensure the successful implementation of key initiatives and projects, i.e., Center of Equity & Excellence in Aviation, space planning, etc. Monitor progress, track performance metrics, and provide regular updates to the CEO on strategic goals and objectives.
- Executive Support and Representation: Serve as a senior advisor to the CEO, providing counsel on a broad range of issues, including policy, legislation, and community engagement. Represent the CEO in meetings, negotiations, and public events, ensuring consistent messaging and effective stakeholder management. Build and maintain positive relationships with elected officials, community leaders, and partner organizations to advance the airport’s goals. Prepare/review briefing materials, speeches, and presentations for the CEO, ensuring accuracy and alignment with strategic objectives and values.
- Interdepartmental Coordination: Foster effective communication and collaboration among city and DEN departments and divisions, promoting a culture of teamwork and shared accountability. Facilitate cross-functional initiatives and projects, coordinating resources, timelines, and deliverables to ensure successful outcomes. Identify and address DEN interdepartmental challenges or conflicts, working proactively to find resolution and maintain operational efficiency. Support the implementation of performance measurement and continuous improvement practices across DEN departments.
- Special Projects and Initiatives: Manage and oversee special projects and initiatives assigned by the CEO, providing leadership and ensuring timely and successful completion. Conduct research, gather data, and perform analysis to support decision-making and project planning. Develop project plans, establish milestones, and monitor progress to ensure projects stay on track and meet established goals. Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to gather input, build consensus, and drive project outcomes.
- Internal Operations and Administration: Oversee the efficient functioning of the executive office, ensuring effective administrative processes and procedures. Assist in managing staff within the office, providing guidance, mentoring, and professional development opportunities. Develop and manage the office's budget, ensuring responsible allocation of resources to support operational needs. Foster a positive and inclusive work environment within the office, promoting teamwork, collaboration, and high-performance standards.
- Other duties as assigned/needed.
We are looking for candidates that demonstrate experience in the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of systems/program integration; bringing together component subsystems into a whole and ensuring that those subsystems function together.
- Knowledge of infrastructure operations and security sufficient to be able to determine/implement priorities, goals and objectives of the organization.
- Exceptional strategic thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills, with the ability to navigate complex issues and provide actionable recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain positive relationships with diverse stakeholders, including elected officials, community leaders, minority and small business community, Labor, and department/division heads.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, projects, and deadlines while maintaining attention to detail and quality.
- Proven leadership and management skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire staff, promote collaboration, and drive results.
- High level of integrity, discretion, and confidentiality in handling sensitive information and matters.
- Cultural Competency and Equity Awareness: Given Denver's diverse community, the candidate should possess cultural competency and awareness of equity issues. They should be able to develop communication strategies that resonate with diverse populations, promote inclusivity, and address equity considerations in messaging and engagement efforts.
- Working in a complex matrix organization
- Education requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or a related field based on a specific position(s).
- Experience Requirement: Five (5) years of experience directing and managing a division, agency, or operation to include managing human capital (people), fiscal, operational, and strategic decisions.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
About Everything Else
GA2862 Deputy Executive Director of Aviation
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$170,301.00 – $289,512.00