The Department of Finance of the City and County of Denver is seeking a highly qualified and motivated individual for the position of City Controller to provide accounting, reporting, payroll and financial services through strong internal controls to a broad community of internal and external customers and partners. The individual chosen to fill this position will become an integral part of the organization by performing functions to ensure the financial integrity of the City and County of Denver.
The Department of Finance unifies the City's accounting and financial functions under the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. The department commits to the citizens of Denver a financial structure that mirrors the best practices of both the public and private sectors. This commitment promotes better service, enhanced performance measures, maximum accountability and improved business procedures to ensure the delivery of effective and efficient City services through sound financial management.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Directing three divisions that are responsible for city-wide accounting and financial reporting, payroll, and financial services
- Developing the City’s financial statements known as the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and Single Audit which are both audited by an external auditor selected by the Independent Audit Committee
- Ensuring sound internal controls framework and the integrity of the city’s financial operations and compliance with all legal requirements and standards
- Interpreting and implementing Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) financial standards and rules
- Establishing the long-term vision and strategic plan for the Controller’s Office
- Overseeing financial technology required to meet the operational needs of the Controller’s Office
- Managing the development and implementation of the organization’s goals, objectives, policies, and priorities that enables employees and the organization to be successful now and in the future
- Providing leadership and direction to directors, managers, and staff members to ensure the continued development and management of an efficient organization
- Representing the Department of Finance or Controller’s Office in meetings with elected and/or appointed officials and other city entities
- Creating and promoting a positive, inclusive work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization’s strategic and operational methods
The Department of Finance anticipates selecting a dynamic and experienced financial leader with a proven track record of successfully leading enterprise-wide financial functions.
The ideal candidate has a degree in Accounting, is a Certified Public Accountant, has experience with Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), has 7 or more years in a Director role and has strong governmental accounting experience. The ideal candidate leads by example through honest and ethical interactions, builds trust with teammates and stakeholders, values relationships with customers, takes pride in public service, is dedicated to transparency, accuracy and accountability in all actions. This person displays strong leadership skills that exudes a strategic mindset, ability to motivate and influence in political environments and builds strong working relationships through collaboration, trust and integrity.
If this sounds like you, we strongly encourage you to pursue this pivotal role!
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply unless you have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or a related field based on a specific position(s).
- Experience: Five (5) years of experience at the type and level of Director.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: Possession of one of the following: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Government Financial Manager, or Certified Public Financial Officer. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.