University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center
Communications Coordinator (Part-Time)
Position #766928 – Requisition 17142
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center has an opening for a part-time, University Staff (unclassified) Communications Coordinator (Part-Time) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
The Department of Neurology has an opening for a part-time (0.50 FTE) Communications Coordinator position to support the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center. This role shares responsibilities with the Communications and Outreach Coordinator with coordinating outreach information to the general public about the Center and its activities. The Communications Coordinator’s duties include creating, distributing and managing written materials, both electronic (with the Center’s website, social media platforms, and newsletter) and print (handouts, posters and flyers). The position also manages all communications on the CU Anschutz Campus, including with the University of Colorado Hospital and the Behavioral Neurology Clinic. The Community Outreach Coordinator manages the Center’s participation at community events and establishes partnerships within the community to increase awareness of the Center. The coordinators will share responsibilities and support each other with the production and output of the center’s needs. The position is located at the Anschutz Medical Campus. Hours are usually 8:00 to 5:00 weekdays, but occasionally longer hours are required with weekend work schedules and travel, depending on patient volume, outreach activities and schedules.
We are the premier research university in Colorado, serving more than 30,000 undergraduate, graduate and health professions students in Denver, Aurora and online and awarding nearly 4,000 degrees each year. The renowned researchers and award-winning faculty offer more than 100 degree programs through 13 colleges and schools. In 2008 the University was awarded more than $371 million in research grants and contracts. The Anschutz Medical Campus includes over 5 million square feet of research, educational and clinical space on 227 acres.
- Developing educational materials with the direction of the Director of the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center, including both print and electronic media (examples: brochures and other literature).
- Be responsible for content, technical and management on the Center’s website (http://medschool.ucdenver.edu/alzheimers) and work closely with the university’s OIT in keeping the website and its platform current.
- Collecting, organizing and disseminating information regarding both the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center and available community resources for patients, their families and caregivers.
- Create and support newsletter production, both electronic and hard copy, featuring updated information and articles about the Center, as well as distribution to those interested in the Center’s personnel and activities.
- Create and maintain a social media presence for the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center via available social media networks (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Coordinate with news reporters who are writing and producing stories about dementias, assist them in connecting with personnel at the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center. (examples: the Denver Post and 9News), and suggest stories for newscasts and publication.
- Support related activities and development of the Memory Disorders Clinic and the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center under the direction of the Director of the memory Disorders Clinic or the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center.
- Assist as needed with incoming patient inquiries by directing them to the appropriate personnel UCHealth and the Memory Disorders Clinic.
- Establishes, builds and maintains working relationships with partners and community entities to promote the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center’s objectives.
- Coordinate and plan for increased visibility at outreach events and presentations to the community under the direction of the Director of the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center or other delegates from the research team or Memory Disorders Clinic (example: 9Health Fairs, Walk to End Alzheimer’s).
- Manages scheduling and supporting participation by coordinating with event managers and community volunteers.
- Develops relationships with ethnic cohorts within the community, such as with people of African-American, Latino, and American Indian descent, which are underrepresented in both the patient and research participant bases.
- Strategic planning and execution of projects as well as events working closely with the Communications and Outreach Coordinator.
- Responsible for increasing the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center visibility in the community.
- Participate in government-related activities that generate funding and attention for Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia (examples: Alzheimer’s Impact Movement with the Alzheimer’s Association and lobbying before the Colorado legislature).
- Plan and coordinate events featuring Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center personnel, both on and off campus, including scheduling sites, set up details, event set-up, arranging refreshments and décor, and supplying educational handout materials (example: the annual Research Education Event).
- Cultivates partnerships with internal and external stakeholders through various sources including community events, business organizations and nonprofit organizations.
- Developing mutually helpful relationships and activities with patient / family resource organizations (such as Alzheimer’s Association, Global Down Syndrome Foundation, and Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration) with the direction of the Director of the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center.
- Develop mutually helpful relationships with faculty-sponsored support groups related to atypical forms of dementia (example: Post Cortical Atrophy support group).
- Support fundraising activities as they relate to the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center under the direction of the University fundraising group and the Director of the Rocky Mountain Alzheimer’s Disease Center.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable
The hiring salary for this 0.50 FTE position is $23,471 – $29,784 and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, communications, business administration, business, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- One (1) year of professional level experience working in a PR, marketing, communications or closely related role.
- Public speaking experience.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Master’s degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, communications, business administration, business, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience working with web-based tracking systems and Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access).
- Experience with office administration, community outreach, meeting and conference planning.
- Experience working with aging populations, especially with adults with Down Syndrome or Alzheimer’s disease.
- Website design and implementation experience.
- Media or video experience.
- Experience working in a fast paced clinic or research setting.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Great Attention to detail.
- Ability to work with colleagues and patients in a confidential and professional manner
- Ability to work well within a larger team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.