About Our Job
The Denver Public Library is looking for a Communications Specialist to work in our Communications and Community Engagement Department (CCE). CCE consists of communications, marketing, partnerships, outreach, and community engagement. The department supports all 26 locations and works across all departments. This position will create, coordinate, execute and monitor internal and external communications and public relations plans for the Denver Public Library. This may include awareness campaigns and media and communications tactics to promote the library’s many services and programs as well as executing communications plans in support of departmental or organizational strategic needs for internal and external communications.
This position will establish and maintain good working relationships with media representatives, arrange press coverage for a variety of public events and community outreach efforts, respond to media inquiries in a timely and urgent manner, assist with media events, and coordinate the production and distribution of public information and announcements.
This position will write copy, both technical and promotional, including messaging, talking points, media releases/advisories/statements, executive remarks, blogs, brand journalism, reports to the community, newsletter copy, collateral, and more; edit copy and print materials for multiple departments.
They will collaborate with other professional staff members engaged in the design, preparation, and production of public information materials, marketing and public involvement programs, sponsorships, fundraising, grants, and other activities.
When needed, they will assist with crisis communications in conjunction with Manager and Director. This may include responding to critical or sensitive public information/CORA requests from the public, media, elected/appointed officials, and/or others, and assures legal compliance in areas affecting public access to information.
They will develop an understanding of library services and programs, represent the department in internal and external meetings and/or committees. It will be critical to establish and maintain collaborative and productive relationships with various internal stakeholders. They will have the opportunity to work collaboratively and inclusive of multiple perspectives to effectively meet deadlines and manage projects through to completion, and solve underlying problems.
Our ideal candidate has a strong writing background and is dedicated to reaching our under-resourced communities. Through their work, they will demonstrate a commitment to the mission, vision, and values of the Denver Public Library. In addition, they have:
- An unparalleled attention to detail, strong copywriting skills, the ability to establish and manage multiple priorities at a time and the ability to pivot when necessary with a sense of urgency.
- A strong track record of developing relationships with a diverse group of people and thriving in a collaborative work environment.
- A desire to give and receive feedback.
- Knowledge of integrated marketing and public relations strategies.
- Knowledge of media production, communication and dissemination techniques including working with social media.
- Knowledge of alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral and visual media.
- Knowledge reaching multicultural audiences using a variety of communication tools.
- Skill in the practice of effective, persuasive communication, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in checking information for accuracy and completeness and correcting errors.
- Skill in effectively expressing ideas and facts to individuals or groups both orally and in writing.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to model a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Ability to create and maintain positive staff and partner relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both individuals and groups.
- Previous agency experience (preferred, not required).
- Spanish language fluency (preferred, not required).
We realize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you have at least the following minimum qualifications:
- Three (3) years of professional experience at the type and level of a Marketing/Communications Specialist in communications, public relations, and/or marketing.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications or a related field.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
CLICK HERE to apply
Please include a cover letter connecting your experience to this role as well as one sample of work you have implemented in the past. Samples can include:
- Communications plan for a campaign, company, product line, service, etc
- Print Campaign (include any materials you wrote/developed)
- Media Kit you created
- Your choice!