As one of the nation’s top public research universities, Colorado State University is a land-grant institution, with enrollment of more than 33,000 students. CSU offers 76 undergraduate degree programs, 114 graduate degree programs, 21 professional master’s degree programs, and a Professional Veterinary Medicine program. CSU’s world-class research and scholarship attract more than $370 million in research funding every year, ranking second nationally in federal research funding for universities without a medical school. Fort Collins is an attractive community of approximately 170,000 located along the Colorado Front Range at the base of the Rocky Mountains, 65 miles north of Denver. The city is routinely recognized as one of the most desirable places to live in the United States. It consistently ranks high on quality of life measures by numerous publications; see https://www.fcgov.com/visitor/awards for the complete list. The Front Range has developed into a high-tech hub with companies such as Woodward, Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, IBM, Intel, Keysight Technologies, Broadcomm, AMD, Xilinx, Ball Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and Northrop Grumman located in or near Fort Collins. The city offers a pleasant climate with excellent schools and abundant cultural and recreational opportunities nearby. For more information on Fort Collins, check out the City’s website: www.visitftcollins.com.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME) at Colorado State University (CSU) offers a curriculum that integrates exceptional classroom learning and in-depth engineering practice for an unparalleled educational experience. Made up of 34 faculty members, 8 staff members, 1,000 undergraduate students, and 125 graduate students, ME is one of the largest departments on CSU’s campus. State-of-the-art labs provide unmatched, hands-on experience to help undergraduate students conceptualize industry environments, and $7.5M in annual research funding provide groundbreaking opportunities focusing on health, materials, and energy, for graduate students to enhance their educational concentrations. Award-winning faculty offer industry and academic perspective, and equip each graduate with the tools needed to obtain leading positions in advanced technology fields. The Mechanical Engineering program at CSU includes majors in both Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering-Mechanical Engineering; both curriculum combine classroom learning with engineering practice. Our goal is to give our graduates the engineering skills they need to obtain leading positions in advanced technology fields. Our students are integral members of our research groups and their thesis and dissertation topics focus on cutting-edge research. Further information about the Department can be found at www.engr.colostate.edu/me/.
The individual in this position will have been trained and specializes in communications, outreach, and marketing. The individual will be responsible for maintaining the Department’s website, reporting on the Department’s significant events and disseminating news, targeted recruitment efforts, and upkeep of engagement with current students and alumni through social media and other channels. This individual must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment with the ability to set priorities under pressure. Must possess strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines. Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills; commitment to diversity and inclusion; demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of people and the ability to manage office workflow and work successfully both individually and in a team-based environment. Occasional local and in-state travel will be required.
Required Job Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Communication, Public Relations, Marketing, or related field.
• Minimum two years’ experience creating content for at least one of the following mediums: websites, social media, and blogs.
• Experience and ability to produce and edit copy for multiple audiences and across multiple platforms.
• Experience and ability to write and edit press releases, feature stories, web content, and business letters.
• Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment with the ability to set priorities under pressure.
• Must possess strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
• Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills; commitment to diversity and inclusion and demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of people.
• Must have the ability to manage office workflow and work successfully both individually and in a team-based environment.
• Must be able to understand, assess, and address the marketing needs of faculty and staff members.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Experience working on multiple media platforms such as digital, print, video and social media.
• Experience with technical and science writing.
• Experience with graphic design, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Media Encoder, Adobe Premier, iMovie, and Windows MovieMaker.
• Experience with photography and/or video editing.
• Experience using WordPress or similar content management systems and some familiarity with HTML or CSS for web maintenance.
• Experience and proficiency with creating and delivering presentations and public speaking.
• Knowledge of marketing principles, best practices, and techniques relevant to non-traditional graduate student recruitment.
Demonstrated knowledge of, and relevant ability with, culturally diverse communities among potential target and constituent populations.
Job Duty Category Communications
• Promote news, events, and accomplishments involving the faculty, staff, students, alumni, and other partners.
• Coordinate a wide range of projects including, but not limited to, copywriting, graphic design, website development, social media management, and logistical support related to project development and production.
• Work in collaboration with the College and University communications and marketing groups and other stakeholders.
• Archive and track projects.
• Generate online content that ensures a dynamic, relevant and mission-driven online presence and maintain website design and content to reflect University branding.
• Maintain department-level social media platforms and assist in the planning and execution of publicity and social media campaigns.
• Assist in the management of effective communications with partners/corporate sponsors and support donor stewardship and cultivation strategies.
• Participate in and/or lead initiatives to increase communication and community-building/networking with distance student population.
Percentage Of Time 50%
Job Duty Category Marketing / Outreach
• Create and print digital marketing materials including fliers, brochures, posters, postcards, PowerPoint presentations, and branded items.
• Write and edit copy for department marketing materials, website, newsletters, and other pieces as assigned.
• Photograph college events and activities for use in marketing and public relations as needed; record, edit, and produce videos for the department as needed.
• Identify and market to new populations of potential students, drawing them in to the point of application. Research, initiate, develop, promote and implement plans for marketing and recruiting purposes.
• Support graduate student recruitment events. Along with department faculty or staff, attend such events as a presenter and representative on behalf of the Department. Events and presentations may happen in or around the Denver and Fort Collins areas, or in other Colorado locations, at the campus of industry partners or within communities.
Percentage Of Time 40%
Job Duty Category Department Support
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned or directed
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter which addresses how professional experiences align with identified required and preferred qualifications of the position, a current resume, and a portfolio of sample work, including an article. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact Ellen Plese, firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Acting Title IX Coordinator is the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, 201 Administration Building, Fort Collins, CO. 80523-8004, (970) 491-5312.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.