Communications Writer and Project Manager – Joint Office of Energy and Transportation
CO – Golden
Hours Per Week
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
Employment at NREL is contingent upon your compliance with all NREL and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) safety protocols and mitigation efforts directed at the COVID-19 pandemic.
Working at NREL
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the nation's primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
From day one at NREL, you’ll connect with coworkers driven by the same mission to save the planet. By joining an organization that values a supportive, inclusive, and flexible work environment, you’ll have the opportunity to engage through our eight employee resource groups, numerous employee-driven clubs, and learning and professional development classes.
NREL supports inclusive, diverse, and unbiased hiring practices that promote creativity and innovation. By collaborating with organizations that focus on diverse talent pools, reaching out to underrepresented demographics, and providing an inclusive application and interview process, our Talent Acquisition team aims to hear all voices equally. We strive to attract a highly diverse workforce and create a culture where every employee feels welcomed and respected and they can be their authentic selves.
Our planet needs us! Learn about NREL’s critical objectives, and see how NREL is focused on saving the planet.
Note: Research suggests that potential job seekers may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who is interested in this opportunity to apply. We seek dedicated people who believe they have the skills and ambition to succeed at NREL to apply for this role.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory’s (NREL) Communications Office has an opening for an energetic and collaborative communications professional to support communications for the Joint Office of Energy and Transportation (Joint Office). Created to facilitate collaboration between the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the Joint Office provides support and expertise to a multitude of programs that seek to deploy a network of electric vehicle chargers, zero-emission fueling infrastructure, and zero-emission transit and school buses. The successful candidate will help tell the story about Joint Office efforts through a variety of communication channels, as well as manage multiple moderately complex communications projects under supervision and in a collaborative environment using established procedures. The ideal candidate will possess foundational communications and writing skills, demonstrate meticulous attention to detail and quality, and exhibit project management experience.
The selected candidate will work under supervision as part of our dedicated communications team, which is structured in an agency-like setting and includes project managers, writers, editors, web developers, and designers. You will develop and execute multiple digital and traditional communications tactics in parallel, while delivering superior client service. We’re looking for a self-motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is comfortable interacting directly with DOE and DOT senior staff as well as Communications Office colleagues.
The NREL Communications Office comprises communications experts in a variety of disciplines focused on raising awareness about the lab and DOE programs. This position resides in the Communications Office Science and Technology Communications Group, which includes teams representing NREL’s wide-ranging research areas. Your success will depend on your adaptability, flexibility, and willingness to learn; can-do attitude and collaborative work style; and the ability to react positively to rapidly changing circumstances.
In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and your specific qualifications related to this role. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Duties will include:
- Writing to communicate Joint Office work through news stories, outreach materials, social media, newsletters, and presentation materials
- Managing development, design, editing, and publication of presentations and other outreach materials that follow style guidelines
- Developing, editing, and publishing web content, following web standards and best practices
- Coordinating internal processes to support clients and communication project leads
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with teams, peers, and clients.
Successful candidates will have:
- Attention to detail and quality
- Ability to distill technical information into understandable and engaging content
- Nimbleness needed to multitask in a fast-paced communications agency-like setting
- Strong client service mindset
- Good project management skills, including leading tasks and developing budgets and schedules
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- General knowledge of web and digital media best practices
- Experience coordinating projects such as newsletters, websites, social media, webinars, and print materials
- Ability to react positively to rapidly changing circumstances
- Can-do attitude and collaborative work style
- Eight or more years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or related field, preferably in an area of science.
Relevant Bachelor's Degree and 5 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Master's Degree and 3 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant PhD or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant JD or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
Considerable knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field. Strong leadership, project management and problem solving skills. Ability to use various computer software programs.
* Must meet educational requirements prior to employment start date.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Ability to work under guidance to complete moderately complex communications assignments including research, writing, and editing for a variety of products, including both print and electronic media
- Adhering to budgets and schedules to meet deadlines for deadline-oriented projects, such as multi-channel communications campaigns
- Experience with emerging digital communications and marketing concepts and practices
- Exceptional writing skills to express compelling stories from technical research information
- Experience working with teams and customers
- Experience with writing basic web content
- Experience coordinating and hosting webinars and events.
- Previous science-, transportation-, energy-sector, government-, technology-, or research-related communications experience
- Experience creating internal or corporate communications strategies and content
- Experience adhering to an in-house style guide, AP style, and/or Chicago Manual of Style
- Experience with project management and collaboration platforms, such as Microsoft Teams and Asana
- Experience working in a content management system
- Prior roles in a communication/public relations/advertising agency or similar corporate/organization department
- Familiarity with transportation, renewable energy, and energy efficiency technologies, and/or other technical subject matter.
*Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, or marketing.
*Experience with emerging digital communications and social media technologies and practices.
*At least five years of relevant work experience.
*Direct proven experience with transportation, fuels, or hydrogen technologies.
*Experience with local, state or federal government.
*Familiarity with renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
Annual Salary Range (based on full-time 40 hours per week)
Job Profile: Professional III / Annual Salary Range: $71,300 – $117,600
NREL takes into consideration a candidate’s education, training, and experience, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, a potential new employee’s salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; short*- and long-term disability insurance; pension benefits*; 403(b) Employee Savings Plan with employer match*; life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance; personal time off (PTO) and sick leave; paid holidays; and tuition reimbursement*. NREL employees may be eligible for, but are not guaranteed, performance-, merit-, and achievement- based awards that include a monetary component. Some positions may be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement. Limited-term positions are not eligible for long-term disability or tuition reimbursement.
* Based on eligibility rules
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
EEO is the Law | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination | Reasonable Accommodations
E-Verify www.dhs.gov/E-Verify|For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.