Reach Out and Read Colorado (ROR CO) is a twenty-year-old nonprofit organization dedicated to making literacy promotion a standard part of the provision of pediatric primary care. By taking advantage of the existing infrastructure and relationships between health care providers, their young patients, and their families, ROR CO is taking steps so that ultimately, all children in Colorado will grow up with books and a love of reading.
The Development Director is a senior level position responsible for leading the organization’s efforts to secure $1.3 million+ annually from individuals, foundations, corporations, and events. The Development Director plays a critical role in fulfilling Reach Out and Read Colorado’s mission, program implementation, and expansion. This position also provides leadership and management for the Development department, consisting of a Development Manager and a Special Events Manager.
In this role, you’ll be joining a dedicated and passionate team of experts who have built a culture of collaboration and support. As a key member of the leadership team, you’ll contribute your point of view and expertise as we work toward strategic expansion, program innovation, and long-term sustainability goals.
You’ll develop relationships, strengthen engagement and stewardship strategies, and build a strong pipeline for long term sustainability and growth. This is a tremendous opportunity for an experienced fundraiser who relishes the chance to build a robust and diverse fundraising strategy upon a solid foundation in support of a well-established organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Individual Giving: 50%
- Grow and develop ROR CO’s individual giving program through a combination of major gifts and small donor strategies.
- Clearly and effectively communicate the organization’s needs and priorities to donors to inspire them and motivate their giving.
- Craft new cultivation and stewardship strategies for donors and prospects to ensure successful moves management and increase rates of renewed and increased giving.
- Plan and manage effective prospect qualification, donor acquisition, and cultivation strategies to maintain a healthy pipeline.
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors and prospects, making direct, face-to-face solicitations.
- Explore opportunity for development of planned giving program strategy
- Support our passionate Board of Directors in their fundraising priorities
- Leverage the Executive Director’s time in support of strategic relationship development and major gifts fundraising
Foundation Relations: 20%
- With the support of the Development Manager, align efforts to manage foundation relationships, proposals, and grant reports
- Uncover new opportunities in health equity and social emotional health funding
Corporate Partnerships: 10%
- Expand on corporate giving strategy; refining and implementing site-based sponsorship strategy.
- Explore additional opportunities for corporate support of our work at a statewide scale.
- With the support of the Events Manager, lead and manage fundraising event efforts, including annual gala, to raise at least $175,000.
- Explore opportunities for smaller events
Leadership and Collaboration: 10%
- Develop and manage a comprehensive development strategy, building upon the organization’s demonstrated success.
- Work with Marketing & Communications department to develop unified messaging strategies for engaging materials, campaigns and stories across all platforms.
- Join an energetic leadership team in solving the challenges and opportunities of a stellar state affiliate as we advance the goals of our strategic plan
- Represent the goals and priorities of the Development department at leadership and board meetings
- Prepare and present as requested monthly budget to goals reporting
- Provide supervision and leadership to Development Manager and Event Manager positions
Skills and Experience Required:
- Strong commitment to Reach Out and Read Colorado’s mission
- B.S./B.A. degree
- Seven or more years fundraising or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated success in securing major gifts of at least five figures
- Demonstrated success in donor acquisition strategies
- Leadership and cross-functional collaboration experience
- Three or more years supervisory experience
- Computer proficiency required
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to multi-task, handle competing priorities, manage time efficiently and meet deadlines
Skills and Experience Preferred:
- Experience working with low-income families, early literacy programs and/or in a medical setting preferred
- Experience working with Civi CRM Fundraising Software (or similar)
- Certified Fundraising Executive
Competitive benefits, including retirement with employer match and generous PTO
Less than 20% Evening and weekend work may be required. Car/proof of insurance
2019 Annual Salary Range:
$70,000 – $75,000, plus bonus