The Development Director has primary responsibility for organizing large-scale fundraising initiatives, developing and managing a comprehensive fund development plan that ensures a diverse and sustainable funding base and building relationships with donors, staff and volunteers. The development director will develop and implement major giving and planned giving fundraising strategies. This position works closely and collaboratively with the CEO and members of the executive team, members of the Jefferson Center’s Fund Development Board Committee, department staff and program managers to maintain and expand philanthropic support for the organization to support current and future levels of Jefferson Center programming through corporate, individual, foundation and governmental funding. This position is responsible for overseeing the planning, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding of a portfolio of corporate, individual and prospective donors, and for promoting good will and positive relationships with community partners, individuals and diverse groups across our region. Responsible for soliciting, managing and stewarding government, corporate, foundation and other grant-based funding programs and for developing and maintaining positive relationships with donors and grant makers . The Development Director is also responsible for managing the grant writing and grants management process within the Center by supervising all grant staff and ensuring all grants meet Center standards.
- Develops and monitors a strategic fund development plan which supports the Jefferson Center Strategic Plan, working in collaboration with the Executive team members and members of the Center’s Fund Development Board Committee.
- Develops strategies, manages activities and achieves fundraising goals related to corporate and individual giving including the cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition of existing donors and prospective donors and supporters; involves staff and board members as appropriate.
- Builds and maintains successful relationships with corporations and foundations. Serves as the senior point of contact with corporations, foundations and governmental grant funders
- Achieves major fundraising goals for corporate support as outlined in the fund development plan. Oversees cultivation and supervises securing corporate sponsorships and in kind donations to contribute to the overall fundraising goal of each event.
- Manages daily activities to support gift solicitation efforts; ensures that all donor reports and renewals are submitted to donors in a timely manner. Manages a donor information system that ensures accurate and timely recording of gifts and ensures the confidentiality and privacy of donors.
- Oversees fundraising and community events as outlined in the fund development plan.
- Achieves fundraising goals for grant support from foundations and governmental sources as outlined in the fund development plan. Manages the grants writing team and writes as appropriate grant proposals and reports to foundation and government funders and ensures that grants are submitted in a professional and timely manner. Assists with the preparation of budget requests to counties and municipalities as requested.
- Manages the implementation of all grant contracts to ensure all reporting requirements are met on a timely basis. Proactively monitors the progress of grant performance and serves as strategic consultant to program directors and managers on programmatic goals, objectives, outcome measurements, and budget design.
- Supervises and supports prioritization, research, preparation and submission of grant proposals, contract applications, and grant calendar.
- Works in partnership with other department staff to integrate communications, development and marketing strategies and activities that support fund development objectives
- Keeps current on policies, legislation, rules and regulations involving grants and fund-raising activities and monitors current and developing trends in philanthropy; regularly communicates to staff and board as appropriate.
- Serves as a member of the Jefferson Center Senior Leadership Team.
- Participates on the Jefferson Center Fund Development Committee.
- Performs other job-related duties as requested or assigned by the Executive Leadership Team;
- Represents the Center at community events as requested; attends all mandatory center-wide meetings and actively participates in team meetings.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
- Minimum Bachelors Degree, Masters Degree preferred
- Minimum five years of experience in professional corporate and individual fundraising, experience with foundation or governmental grants and related experience in marketing/ public relations
- Must embrace the mission of Jefferson Center
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Requires a ”self-starter” and goal driven individual with a positive attitude who shows concern for people and community, demonstrates presence, self-confidence and an outgoing personality to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls;
- Strong conceptual as well as analytical skills
- Superior oral & written communication skills with demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively and ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships; must use discretion with donor information.
- Strong management/supervisory and problem solving skills, including strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task; ability to prioritize deadlines and manage workflow efficiently
- Experience working with senior level managers and members of Board of Directors
- Attendance at some evening meetings and events required.
- Must have reliable transportation to attend meeting and events.