Development Manager Job Description:
In order to meet the growing scope of revenue needs, Reach Out and Read Colorado has designed the role of Development Manager, which will play an integral role in agency fundraising. This position offers an opportunity to design and lead targeted fundraising opportunities, specifically by leading the management of our core portfolio of grants, managing key funder relationships, and helping to increase overall performance efficiency while centralizing core development efforts.
This position is designed to provide support to fund development in conjunction with growing a $1.3M budget and will report directly to the Director of Development. The Development Manager will work with all facets of fundraising, including support from foundations, individuals, corporations, special events, and government entities as highlighted below.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of grant/funder relationships in assigned portfolio with a revenue potential of $150K+ annually, including prospect research, grant writing and reporting, and other duties as needed
- Create and maintain grants deadline calendar, capturing all key dates for submission, reporting, awards, etc.
- Manage all scheduling logistics of site visits with foundation program officers and representatives in accordance with Director of Development and partner/clinic availability
- Oversee management of the donor database to ensure accuracy and the timely recording, recognition, and acknowledgement of gifts according to company policy and procedure
- With support from the Accounting/Office Manager, perform monthly reconciliations between the donor database and Quickbooks
- Perform gift processing duties for all gifts (does not pertain to accounting or financial processing), including entry into database, generating acknowledgement, and any follow-up activity
- Maintain filing systems and organize overall informational resources to respond in a timely manner to external and internal requests for information (e.g. donor analytic reports)
Social Impact Partners
- Manage all aspects of assigned goal/portfolio, including but not limited to prospecting, soliciting and managing Corporate Site Sponsorship opportunities.
- Serve as primary liaison to Gently Used Books program and in-kind donors; coordinate timely delivery/pick-up, sorting, and acknowledgement of all donated books
- Serve as primary liaison to all ROR CO volunteers
- Responsible for recruiting, training, assigning and managing all volunteer participation
Strategic Planning and Other Support Areas
- Support Director of Development in key fundraising campaigns, including newsletters, Colorado Gives Day, and Annual Appeals
- Assist Director of Development as needed in the preparation of reports for board or staff meetings as regards department progress to date on team goals
- Manage all scheduling logistics of site visits with donors and prospects in accordance with partner/clinic availability
- Collaborate as needed on special projects including but not limited to special events, board-driven fundraising efforts, marketing and communications projects
- Work collaboratively with Director of Development to analyze donor trends to set revenue benchmarks and associated strategies
- Identify fundraising opportunities in conjunction with existing programmatic operations
Other duties as assigned.
Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Reach Out and Read Colorado employees. To ensure adequate staffing, positive employee morale, and to meet expected productivity standards throughout the organization, employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
Personal and Professional Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Two-three years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising/development work or equivalent experience
- Two years’ grant writing experience with a track record of increasingly larger five figure grants
- Experience working independently required. Experience working with low-income families or early literacy programs a plus.
- Strong writing, verbal, and organizational skills are required.
- Experience using Microsoft Office and Google Suite and proven proficiency in database maintenance, management, reporting, and donor segmenting and analysis
- Ability to multi-task and balance multiple projects at once while meeting deadlines
Desirable: Spanish speaking
Some evening and weekend work may be required. Car and proof of insurance required. Must be able to safely lift 40 pounds.
Classification, Benefits, and Compensation:
- This is a full-time, exempt position
- Full benefits, per Employee Handbook, including 100% employer-paid healthcare, bonus plan and generous PTO
- The annual salary range for this full-time position is $42,000 – $48,000