Position: Development Manager
Reports to: Director of Development & Strategic Partnerships
Location: STRIVE Prep Central Office
Salary: $50,000-$65,000 based on years of experience
Application Deadline: July 31, 2021
Start Date: September 2021 (Flexible)
STRIVE Prep is a Denver-based community of 10 public charter schools that challenges every student to strive for college and thrive throughout life by helping them to discover and develop the knowledge, skills and confidence necessary to succeed in college, career and beyond. We encourage you to read our 2020 Impact Report and learn more about what a career at STRIVE Prep is like here.
We seek dedicated educators and professionals that live STRIVE Prep’s core values of achievement, justice, & perseverance every day and help our organization achieve its vision of becoming the premier anti-racist education organization in Colorado.
DAY IN THE LIFE
Development is part of External Affairs (EA) at STRIVE Prep; the EA team you will join is a high capacity, efficient team that gets a lot done while having a lot of fun. The development department oversees:
- Corporate partnerships & sponsorships
- Grant prospecting, writing and reporting, including program needs assessments
- Individual donor prospecting, cultivation and stewardship
- Planning and executing fundraising and stewardship events
- Fundraising campaigns
- Donor e-newsletter and Annual Report
- Developing and executing annual signature volunteer events and school tours
- Professionals Board and Board of Trustees Development Committee
- Annual network-wide philanthropy, as well as school-based fundraising for 10 schools
The development department is striving to build a culture of philanthropy at every level. Our development efforts are relationship-based, data and strategy-driven, beautifully orchestrated, and reflects the definition of philanthropy: “A love of humankind and a voluntary joining of resources and action for the public good.” In order to be effective advocates for STRIVE Prep, the development department stays up-to-date on all key happenings and maintains good communication and relationships with each central office team, campus and board. We also provide certain supports, resources and partnerships to ensure the key strategic initiatives and programs we assist financially are successful.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Strong communication skills, both written and orally
- 3.5+ years experience with development/fundraising, including:
- Planning and executing fundraising events
- Fundraising campaign management experience
- Donor database management experience
- Experience crafting a variety of development communications
- Demonstrated interest in K-12 education and an awareness of education funding opportunities
- Grant prospecting, proposal writing and reporting experience
- Personally responsible for raising $250,000+ annually in previous/current roles; demonstrated success in meeting/exceeding fundraising goals
- Portfolio management and donor stewardship experience
- Experience developing and maintaining numerous corporate/community partnerships
- Contributed to development strategic planning processes
- Secretary experience for governing, advisory and/or professional boards
THE MUST HAVES
Do the following must haves resonate with how you are wired and demonstrable in your unique talents and experiences? If so, we invite you to apply and can’t wait to learn more about you!
- Project management & systems expert- you create thoughtful project plans, are extremely proactive and ensure all deadlines are met with the development projects you own; whether it’s leading a fundraising event, Colorado Gives Day campaign, corporate volunteer day, Annual Report, or other. Able to prioritize your time wisely and manage multiple projects that overlap, in addition to ongoing responsibilities. Overall, you have strong attention to detail and 100% follow through.
- Adaptability & persistence- Push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as development needs change and/or support needs change for the Director of Development & Strategic Partnerships. Be ready to take advantage of unexpected opportunities and address new needs that arise. You will remain relentless in your pursuit to give our teachers and students the resources they deserve.
- Relationship builder- you are enthusiastic about facilitating purposeful and joyful asks that enable donors to find higher fulfillment while enacting their values. You love meeting new people and finding strategic areas of alignment. You have the ability to influence and inspire others to get involved in philanthropy, internally and externally.
- Goal-oriented- you thrive when given clear expectations and Objective and Key Results. You are data-driven, results-oriented and are not intimidated by ambitious goals – you just always ensure we have the strategies in place to be successful. You are excited to track ongoing progress and assist STRIVE Prep in diversifying funding sources and securing multi-year investments.
With the must haves driving your daily approach to the work, the successful Development Manager must perform the following essential functions of the role in order to support our overall development goal of $1.5-2+ million raised in network-wide private fundraising annually (not including school-based fundraising goals):
Donor Prospecting, Cultivation & Acknowledgment
- Supports appropriate donor/prospect research, outreach, and special recognition, including organizing thank-a-thons.
- Manages a personal portfolio of donors and helps other colleagues keep track of their respective portfolios, ensuring thoughtful touchpoints are achieved.
- Tracks and contributes to donor retention, acquisition of new donors and year-over-year gift increases.
- Ensures proper recognition of donors and volunteers; writes and sends acknowledgment letters and follow-up with donors following meetings and donations received, adhering to our stewardship plan.
- Helps maintain strong partnerships to ensure effective individual, foundation, corporate, and community relationships.
- Collaborates with the communications team for quarterly newsletters and to create fundraising marketing materials.
- Leads project planning and supports the creation of our Annual Report.
- Orders and maintains development materials, as needed.
Event & Campaign Management
- Responsible for raising $250,000+ through our annual Shine On! fundraising event and Colorado Gives Day campaign.
- Leads annual fundraising event planning for Shine On!, and an annual donor stewardship event.
- Secures auction prizes and sponsorships for Shine On! and ensures in-kind and sponsor benefits are provided, in addition to leading all event logistics and promotion.
- Establishes and manages a school tour system and schedule, logistics and communication with potential and current donors, while coordinating with campus staff.
- Develops and coordinates quarterly signature volunteer events and invites our corporate partners.
- Oversees school-based fundraising efforts to ensure protocols and procedures are followed and fundraising plans are approved by a school principal and the Director of Development & Strategic Partnerships.
- Curates and shares grant opportunities appropriate for school-based fundraising efforts, which do not compete with network-wide grant interests (Director is focused on network-wide fundraising).
- Edits and submits all school-based grant applications and reports, ensuring our writing standards are met.
- Additionally, helps the Director of Development & Strategic Partnerships compile grant report information for her awarded grants.
- Consults on school-based fundraising events and other fundraising ideas; supports schools in creating fundraising project plans and ensures that fundraising projects are aligned with each school’s selected 1-3 fundraising priorities for the year.
- Supports schools in utilizing Givebutter for online campaign purposes, our approved platform.
- Creates and delivers fundraising training to school-based staff and updates our School-Based Fundraising Guide on an annual basis.
- Provides customized training for school Assistant Principals of Operations regarding post-grant award management, in partnership with our Controller.
Database & Board Administration
- Manages and updates the donor database to ensure accuracy of records for individual, foundation, and corporate relationships.
- Inputs contact information and notes for new prospects and partners.
- Manages newsletter contact lists & appeal mailing lists.
- Performs regular analysis on fundraising data to generate information useful for supporter engagement, development strategies, and quarterly internal progress reports.
- Records pledges and donations received on an ongoing basis and ensures grant requests and decisions are filed properly in the database; assists with the collection of pledged funds via follow ups and creating invoices, as needed.
- Meets on a monthly basis with the Finance team to review and reconcile funds received; provides requested materials needed for successful audit completion.
- Secretary for our Board of Trustees Development Committee and Professionals Board: creates agendas with the Director, records meeting minutes, manages to schedule and follow ups, food orders, rosters, social events, and more.
- Updates Professionals Board materials annually and assists with member recruitment, engagement, and retention efforts.
- Has a growth mindset and commits to creating and executing an annual professional development (PD) plan to increase skill sets, with the support of the Director of Development & Strategic Partnerships.
- Attends network PD days and identifies and participates in annual learning opportunities, such as webinars and workshops, on relevant development topics.
- Sets high expectations for oneself and others and is willing to hold oneself and others accountable to those expectations on a regular basis. Assumes the best in others and is willing to have courageous conversations in order to do what is best for the team.
- Along with the entire Central Office staff, learns new skills to assist schools with select annual projects such as student registration, scholarship mock interviews, test proctoring, setting up for Graduation/Senior Signing Day, being a Verbals assessment judge, etc.
- Committed to personal development aligned with STRIVE Prep’s anti-racist vision and modeling a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
APPLICATION & INTERVIEW EXPECTATIONS
Please submit your application by July 31, 2021. There are three steps in our process. Selected applicants will be invited for a 30 minute phone interview in early August with a member of our Talent Team. Applicants who are asked to move forward will complete a short performance task as well as submit work samples. The final step will be a 2-3 hour interview. You can read more about our process as well as get tips on preparing for an interview here!
- Competitive Compensation and benefits including paying 100% of individual benefits.
- On average, our network provides a 4% annual salary increase which is one of the highest in the Denver education market.
- STRIVE Prep 5 Year Club: After 5 years of continual employment, all employees are eligible for your choice of a 3 weeks paid Sabbatical or a pay out.
- Industry high 6+ weeks of annual vacation/PTO. Hard work is rewarded with ample time to refresh.
- Participation in the Colorado PERA retirement program, including a PERA 401k option.
- Opportunity to work with passionate, mission-driven colleagues who are invested in your personal and professional growth.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
STRIVE Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. STRIVE Prep works to make a college preparatory education for all students in our community the norm, rather than the exception. To achieve this we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse team by maintaining hiring and recruiting processes that are free from bias.
Not interested but know someone who would be a great fit? Refer them here and earn $200 for each successful hire! You can also connect directly with a member of our Talent Team here with questions: calendly.com/amanda-jackson-striveprep