STATE OF COLORADO RESIDENCY REQUIRED
We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
The Department of Health Care Policy & Financing (HCPF) oversees and operates Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program), Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+), and other state public health programs for qualified Coloradans. As part of the State of Colorado, HCPF offers a competitive benefits package:
PERA retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan, PERA Defined Contribution Plan, plus 401K and 457 plans
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) job protection and State of Colorado Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML)
Accrued Sick Leave for State of Colorado Temporary Employees
Flexplace and Flextime work arrangements
Variety of discounts on services and products available through the State of Colorado's Work-Life Employment Discount Program.
- Discounted RTD EcoPass.
- Reduced college tuition through CSU Global.
Can you help us make a difference in the lives of millions of Coloradoans while impacting the health care landscape and driving value for our state?
Are you passionate about translating complex health care policy, regulations, and strategy into meaningful messaging for a variety of audiences and stakeholders?
HCPF is looking for a seasoned communications and public relations professional to join our Policy, Communications and Administration (PCA) team as our Director of Communications. Our mission is to improve health care equity, access and outcomes for the people we serve while saving Coloradans money on health care and driving value for Colorado. This role will manage the communication team and will provide leadership and advice to optimize external communications, enhance public relations, and work with HCPF managers and leadership on high-profile matters to benefit the citizens of Colorado and the Department.
Our Communications Team manages the nature, timing and scope of the Department's external communication activities and works with subject matter experts to craft messages to members, providers, media partners and other stakeholders that are in plain language and reflect HCPF's overall mission, vision and accomplishments. This team also works closely with our Legislative Liaison on any legislative communications, and County Liaison on county and commissioner communications. This team provides executive messaging support including talking points; speeches and stakeholder presentations; directs communications planning; social media strategy; publications, graphic, and multimedia design; message development, and impact evaluation to support all our Department programs; and is responsible for brand management of HCPF, Health First Colorado, and CHP+.
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has impacted how and where we do our work. We currently work remotely but in the future, we anticipate this position will work from the office on certain days or possibly full-time.
Description of Job
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Manage communications, content management & design, media relations, social media, and other staff with a focus on streamlining, simplifying and standardizing member, provider, partner and stakeholder communications.
- Supervisory duties such as planning & monitoring workflow, establishing work schedules, making hiring decisions and resolving problems.
- Provide communication and messaging expertise across the entire Department/Agency for strategic initiatives and, in addition to direct report staff, provide guidance to a team of communication liaisons and deployed communications professionals to ensure office communication plans alignment with Department and brand standards.
- Develop and oversee processes and procedures that standardize communication and design planning, tracking and evaluation of communication effectiveness across Department programs.
- Serve as the media relations back up when the Public Information Officer is unavailable.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO HAVE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Communications, Journalism, English, Business Administration or related field AND
- Five years of professional experience working with health care communications which may include communicating about public health insurance plans & the exchange: Medicaid, Child Health Plan Plus and Connect for Health Colorado
- Experience must include:
- At least two years' of recent supervisory experience that included hiring, performance planning, evaluations, coaching and mentoring, and conflict resolution
- Development, oversight, and execution of communication plans and programs to support organizational goals
- Social media strategy & campaign experience
- Graphic & multimedia design experience
- Exemplary communication skills to simplify complex information for a variety of audiences and writing a variety of communication pieces for multiple stakeholders
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Google Suite, Adobe, and other systems/tools
- Work experience in health care communications or related field which provided the same kind, amount, and level of knowledge acquired in the required education, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the bachelor's degree
- There is no substitute for the supervisory experience
- A master's or doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in Public Policy, English, Marketing, Communication, Business or a field of study related to the work assignment may substitute for the bachelor's degree and, one or two years of general experience respectively.
WHAT WE'D LIKE YOU TO HAVE:
- Experience working with Executive Leadership
- Plain language writing experience
- Experience with communication planning and tracking tools
- Demonstrated understanding of how design can improve communications across platforms
- Experience creating culturally appropriate messaging to address health equity
- Experience working for the State of Colorado in health care, health policy or health insurance communications.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and state laws impacting health care.
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines and be adaptable to changing assignments
- Dynamic, detailed-oriented, and self-directed with problem solving skills
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Communications, Journalism, English, Business Administration or related field
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All positions at HCPF are security sensitive positions and require that the individuals undergo a criminal record background check as a condition of employment.
- Employees who have been disciplinarily terminated, resigned in lieu of disciplinary termination, or negotiated their termination from the State of Colorado must disclose this information on the application.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.
Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at spb.colorado.gov.
A standard appeal form is available at: spb.colorado.gov. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
How to Apply (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
Please note that ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed during the initial screening; if you submit a resume and cover letter, they will be reviewed in later stages of the selection process. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all your relevant experience on the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered.
Your application will be reviewed against the minimum qualifications for the position. If your application demonstrates that you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be invited to the comparative analysis process, which is described below.
Comparative Analysis Process: The comparative analysis process will consist primarily of a review of applications against the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position. Applications will be reviewed in comparison to all others in the applicant pool in order to identify a top group of up to 6 candidates who may be invited for a final interview. Depending on the size of the applicant pool, additional selection processes may be utilized to identify a top group of candidates. Applicants will be notified of their status via email. Failure to submit properly completed documents and information by the closing date of this announcement will result in your application being rejected.
ADAAA Accommodations: Any person with a disability as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To request an accommodation, please contact by phone or email at least five business days before the assessment date to allow us to evaluate your request and prepare for the accommodation. You may be asked to provide additional information, including medical documentation, regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed. Please ensure that you have this information available well in advance of the assessment date.
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. The Department of Healthcare Policy and Financing is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Debra Becerra at email@example.com or call 303-866-3887. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
Technical Help: If you experience difficulty in uploading or attaching documents to your online application, call NEOGOV technical support at 877-204-4442 anytime between 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).
THE STATE OF COLORADO AND DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CARE POLICY & FINANCING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER