Employment Requirement: City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A for additional information.
Denver International Airport (DEN) is the third-busiest airport in the United States and one of the top ten busiest airports in the world, connecting our community globally through flight and business. DEN is the primary economic engine for the state of Colorado, generating more than $33 billion for the region annually and employing nearly 30,000 people. At DEN, we are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We celebrate individuality and uplift all races, ethnicities, gender identities, national origins, ages, abilities, religion, and LGBTQIA+ communities. We know that our diversity makes us stronger, and we strive to keep diversity, equity and inclusion at the center of all that we do.
Denver International Airport is seeking a Director of Federal Affairs to join our government affairs team. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a highly motivated and effective communicator who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects ranging from persuasive writing, strategic planning, outreach coordination, coalition building and high-level administrative functions. This position is based in Denver, but the Director of Federal Affairs should anticipate business travel to Washington D.C. to support the airport’s federal initiatives and business needs.
As direct report to the Senior Director of Government Affairs you will advance the federal initiatives of an enterprise recognized as a thought leader in the aviation industry. You will coordinate national strategies with DEN’s lobbyist and airport associations and serve as the relationship manager for Colorado’s delegation, relevant Congressional committee members and federal agencies. You will provide strategic expertise to the CEO, Chief of Staff and DEN leadership on all federal issues, and you will monitor and interpret legislative and regulatory action for potential impact and opportunities. Experience with relevant aviation/transportation committees or agencies is a plus.
Job responsibilities include:
- Solve problems and seek opportunities in order to advance DEN’s mission
- Develop strategies, outreach plans and communications as needed to advance initiatives
- Monitor federal legislation and regulatory actions for impact and opportunities at DEN
- Manage and develop relationships among our delegation, relevant committee members, staff and federal agencies
- Coordinate federal efforts with DEN’s lobbyist and airport member associations
- Support the airport’s efforts to obtain funding opportunities at the federal level
- Keep CEO, Chief of Staff, DEN leadership and staff informed and involved on federal initiatives
- Model DEN’s values and ethics on issues of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, team building and change management
- Drafts position statements on behalf of the Airport; drafts legislation and legislative amendments, as appropriate
- Navigate DEN’s nonpartisan mission in a hyper-partisan political climate
We are looking for candidates with some or all the following experience:
- Capitol Hill and/or federal agency experience
- Existing relationships with the Colorado delegation, relevant federal agencies and/or Congressional members
- Knowledge of the aviation industry and the issues facing airports
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to communicate complex issues to a variety of stakeholders (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated experience developing and successfully executing strategic plans
- Experience developing effective and interesting presentations
- Previous experience working with elected officials, advancing issues through a legislative process or other advocacy work
- Previous experience supporting C-Suite executives within a large corporate or governmental organization that is as complex and dynamic as Denver International Airport
- Strong research skills
- Strong organizational skills
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in a related field based on a specific position(s)
- Experience: Seven (7) years’ experience performing full performance professional level duties within a specialized, functional area. (This does not include clerical experience.)
- Licensures/Certification(s): None
- Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education; Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
Snow / Emergency Duties: Denver International Airport is a 24/7/365 team operation. If weather conditions warrant or an emergency crisis occurs, all DEN employees can be required to work extended hours and/or shifts.