University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Architecture and Planning
Human Resources Director
Position #641345 – Requisition 14418
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The College of Architecture and Planning has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Human Resources Director.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
As Colorado’s only public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver educates more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and with easy access to the state’s cultural, business and civic hub, our students benefit from immersive classroom and real-world experiences, supplemented by unparalleled internship and networking opportunities. As the most diverse research university in Colorado, our campus attracts top students and offers over more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges, as well as more than 30 online degree programs. Home to over 40 research centers and institutes, CU Denver receives more than $25 million in sponsored research awards annually, allowing us to generate knowledge and create solutions to society’s most complex problems. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
The Human Resources Director for the College of Architecture and Planning (CAP) is responsible for all human resources and payroll functions for faculty, university staff, classified staff, and student employees. This position provides ongoing policy guidance and interpretation to College leadership on human resources functions such as compliance, employment and compensation, job evaluation, recruitment, hiring, onboarding, performance management, employee relations, leave, relocation, promotion, tenure and post-tenure review support, employee training and development, benefits, and employee records. This position serves as the primary liaison for the College of Architecture and Planning to the University of Colorado Denver Human Resources office and CU Employee Services to ensure that all personnel and payroll matters are managed appropriately and comply with Federal, State, and University policies.
Examples of Work Performed:
This position is responsible for all aspects of faculty, staff, and student personnel and payroll administration including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, training, visa acquisition, relocation, termination, employee relations, leave, annual performance evaluation and planning, advising and ensuring compliance with university rules and regulations, managing contracts, compensation, and Human Capital Management system details. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all aspects of personnel administration including recruitment, appointment, termination, performance evaluation, absence records, and workers compensation and risk management claims processing.
- Provide ongoing advice and guidance to managers, department chairs, and members of the executive committee on matters related to human resources and advise supervisors on policies and procedures governing employee groups.
- Provide training and guidance on performance evaluation and planning for all employee types.
- Responsible for evaluating promotional opportunities within the school and developing programs to improve retention, enhance skills, advance individual careers, and generally foster an atmosphere that promotes positive employee morale.
- Oversee recruitment and hiring including job description development, compensation analysis, search committee development and processes, guidance on interviews, references, and offers. Oversee and coordinate all posting, recruitment and hiring functions through applicable systems.
- Coordinate all offers based on university policy and ensure proper training and onboarding for new hires following federal, state, CU, and CAP requirements.
- Serve as the CAP primary point of contact with Human Resources and Employee Services on all matters related to human resources including payroll, benefits, performance management, disciplinary procedures, hiring, and contracts.
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of monthly, bi-weekly, and off-cycle payroll and oversee leave usage for applicable personnel in accordance with university rules and regulations including the coordination of family medical leave.
- Update employee statuses to ensure accuracy in the CU HR system including terminations, short work breaks, leaves of absence, job code changes, promotions, family medical leave, sabbaticals, etc.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration to manage faculty and staff compensation setting including annual update of all information related to the merit review process including new salary and appointment information.
- Oversee Adjunct Faculty and Lecturer hiring utilizing necessary scheduling reports and liaison with department and program leadership to confirm enrollments and teaching assignments for all courses.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- A bachelor’s degree in public administration, public policy, business, higher education administration, social sciences, behavioral sciences or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Five years of experience in human resources management in the areas of recruitment, selection, and/or employee relations.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field.
- Human Resources experience at an institution of higher education.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to evaluate policies and exercise good judgment in the interpretation and application of policies, procedures, and rules.
- Ability to organize and complete complex projects and to work under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the professional standards, concepts, and practices of recruitment and selection, employee relations, organizational development and human resource policy.
- Knowledge of supervisory techniques, management principles, and organizational leadership.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Sheri Kalina Jungman at SHERI.KALINAJUNGMAN@UCDENVER.EDU Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions: Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by August 26, 2018. Those who do not apply by August 26th may or may not be considered. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.