Reporting to the Director of Advancement and working with constituents across the leadership team, the Director of Marketing and Communications will lead, plan, direct and implement the school’s marketing and communications strategy and programs which are critical to generating new enrollment, maximizing student retention, enabling successful fundraising, and engaging all stakeholders. This position is responsible for raising the school’s visibility, advancing its brand, and articulating clear messaging to internal and external constituencies. The primary objective of the Director of Marketing and Communications is to create and communicate a compelling story about FVS.
This is a tremendous opportunity for a creative and innovative person who is driven to enhance brand investments, develop strategic partnerships and facilitate relationships with all constituencies. The Director of Marketing and Communications will oversee and collaborate with others focused on school communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Marketing and Communications will be expected to:
- Design, create and implement a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that incorporates and assesses ROI on all audiences and stakeholders. Develop a work plan, based on the data-driven strategy, for each school year that includes a calendar of events, activities, communications, and publications. Oversee the production of a variety of materials meant to increase the school’s visibility and competitive positioning and enhance the public’s perception of the school.
- Identify emerging marketing opportunities, design effective targeting strategies, and report on results.
- Partner with leadership and all academic departments to ensure brand and message quality and consistency across all media, programs, and channels, including the promulgation of press releases to local, regional, and national media outlets.
- Partner with the Director of Enrollment Management to develop and execute an outreach strategy to engage prospective families, increase student applications, and support student recruitment.
- Partner with the Director of Development to design donor communications, solicitations and engagement opportunities to promote fundraising revenue.
- Develop meaningful relationships with local and state-wide media. Develop a portfolio of news and feature stories to place on a regular basis. Manage all messaging on behalf of the school in the media.
- Manage the department budget to maximize the investments in marketing and communications. Gather competitive bids for all contracted work. Oversee the work of graphic designers, print vendors and other external partners in the production of materials.
- Review and revise an effective crisis communications plan and ensure understanding across all departments and stakeholders.
- Oversee the physical representation of the brand inside the school facility.
- Manage market research initiatives and oversee all surveys and feedback initiatives.
- Engage in professional development in order to remain current in best practices of independent and boarding school communications, emerging social media technologies, and effective marketing strategies, as well as the changing interests of prospective audiences and the changing competitive landscape.
- Provide staff leadership within the department including the hiring, management and motivation of marketing and communications staff.
- Participate actively in the work and success of the leadership team and advancement department to provide support for all school events and activities as appropriate.
- Outstanding organizational and presentation skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively lead, manage, and inspire a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment with multiple creative projects
- Creative and artistic vision and direction
- Experience in desktop publishing design and management of design production
- Demonstrated experience in photography, videography, website content management, and design, and social media marketing
- Demonstrated success as a confident problem solver
- Proven track record as an independent and goal-oriented manager with a dedication to being organized and meeting deadlines
- Deep knowledge of the principles of marketing and communications and fluency using digital marketing channels and social media effectively.
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple projects with shifting priorities and competing deadlines, demonstrating quantifiable results.
- Ability to demonstrate the return on investment of key marketing programs.
- Cultural competency, ability to interact and work effectively with diverse students and colleagues, to communicate across cultures; an open, inclusive approach to the workplace
- Ability to develop, monitor and adhere to budgets and production schedules.
- Actively participate in the life of the School by being a visible presence at meals, meetings, events, productions, and games.
- Possible weekend, weeknight duties; advisees; Interim and on-call emergency
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong use of Google and Microsoft Office products
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent analytical, communication and social skills
- Commitment to customer service
- Requires a strong attention to detail
- Team player with a strong capacity for initiative
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, public relations, communications, or marketing
- 7+ years of experience in marketing and communications with independent schools or nonprofit organizations
- Personnel management experience required
Environment: Office working with high school students
Physical Demands: Able to sit, stand and lift up to 30 lbs for eight hours per day, occasional weekend and/or weeknight obligations
Working Relationships: Students, parents, admission personnel, and all other FVS employees
FVS’ Core Values are courage, open mindedness, self-reliance, curiosity, and compassion. FVS supports a culture of communication and collaboration with the intent of creating an environment of predictability and support for our students, parents, and colleagues. FVS employees celebrate diversity, participate fully in the school community, embrace the power of the prairie, the peaks, and the history of the School. FVS teaching faculty challenge students, create opportunities for learning and growth beyond the academic day, employ innovative teaching methods, and pursue professional and personal development through lifelong learning.
Fountain Valley School of Colorado provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious and compassionate.
Send letter of application, resume and list of three professional references to:
Fountain Valley School of Colorado
Colorado Springs, CO 80911