The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Strategy and Training:
- Develop, refine and implement an integrated communications program that advances Aspen Academy and ensures a strong thought leadership position within the community, as well as among other top independent schools. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Head of School and board of trustees.
- Ensure brand and messaging quality and consistency across all departments, activities and events at the school, in the community, and among professional and volunteer leadership.
- Support and advise on all communications strategies across multiple departments; advise senior leadership and board of trustees on communications issues or scenarios.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the school if the Head of School is unavailable.
- Own and execute the school’s crisis communication plan and reputation management program, both proactively
- Engage actively in professional development in order to remain current in best practices related to independent school communications, emerging social media, and effective marketing and advertising strategies.
- Build communications capacity across departments by offering training, consulting and connecting staff to resources.
- Manage all aspects of the school’s print and electronic communications, ensuring the continuity of the school’s brand, voice and logo. Oversee the work of graphic designers and print vendors in production of printed materials and web visuals.
- Oversee the creative development and placement of general advertising in conjunction with the admissions office.
- In collaboration with the Director of Admissions, design strategies and implement concrete plans to increase student applications and maintain prospective student and family interest.
- In collaboration with the Director of Advancement, design strategies and implement concrete plans to capitalize on increased visibility and clear branding of the school to drive increased contributed revenue.
- Plan for and oversee digital activities: website, online campaigns, email marketing, social media and digital content production. Ensure evaluation systems are in place to gauge effectiveness of these activities.
- Oversee all content for the school website.
- Develop and oversee execution of yearly social media plan.
- Provide staff leadership to the department in all respects, including hiring, day-to-day management and motivation of marketing staff and contractors, ensuring professional development and excellence.
- Create and execute a plan that regularly places the school in local and industry-specific media.
- Update and manage messaging matrix and supporting messaging documents.
- Establish relationships with key reporters, editors, bloggers and influencers, as well as identify and build relationships with new media and influencers in the ever-changing media industry.
- Act as the school’s representative with the media if the Head of School is unable to participate.
- Oversee the production and distribution of the weekly electronic newsletter and monthly, grade-level-specific PCO newsletters to current parent body.
- Oversee the maintenance of the school-wide calendar of communications.
- Develop and manage an effective internal communications strategy to keep teachers, administrators and other staff apprised of relevant school news.
- Develop and implement strategies to optimize engagement of all Aspen Academy stakeholders including students, team members, clients, and donors.
- Develop and implement strategies at the local, state and national level to promote Aspen Academy’s vision.
- Monitor relevant legislation that potentially impacts our school, families and communities and plan Aspen Academy’s strategic response.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with members of the Parent Civic Organization (PCO) and other Aspen parents, as well as key external civic and business constituencies.
- Participate actively in the work and success of the senior leadership team.
Planning and Budgeting:
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for communications and community engagement, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Recommend short- and long-term communications and community engagement goals and objectives to the Head
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the communications and community engagement function.