As a team lead and influencer of the Advancement Marketing and Communications unit, the Director of Storytelling and Communications, who also serves as the Editor of the Coloradan alumni magazine, delivers, produces and edits creative, compelling and high-impact communications and initiatives in the magazine and across other platforms, including digital marketing and assets. Leading a team of three storytellers/writers/copyeditors, and student workers, the role is intensively relational and collaborative with external and internal partners, including campus teams and administrators, Advancement teams, faculty, staff, students, donors and alumni. Reporting to the Executive Director of Advancement Marketing and Communications, this position also writes and edits for various publications, manages story collection and ideas, and assists with internal communications and other publications and communications that support CU Boulder’s overarching goals. The Director is passionate about strategic marketing and is eager to work in a creative communications and marketing environment where marketing and communications plans are created purposefully to tell stories and to drive Advancement’s mission to inform, inspire and engage. The position works in an integrated, cross-functionality environment in collaboration with all of the Advancement Marketing and Communications teams.
Who We are
As an integrated and strategic creative powerhouse, the Advancement Marketing and Communications team consists of Strategy and Alignment, Storytelling and Communications, Creative Communications, Digital Marketing and Engagement teams. To create positive change, Advancement Marketing and Communication supports cross-functional strategies, collaboration and connectivity. With an unwavering belief in the power of storytelling, the team understands how to create an authentic brand narrative through a creative process that is always idea-inspired, engaging and grounded in strategy. With a strong entrepreneurial spirit, our work is a testament to our commitment to data-driven strategies, creative excellence and our ability to move nimbly, efficiently and passionately to serve the University of Colorado Boulder and our partners.
What your Key Responsibilities Will Be
With the Advancement Marketing and Communications team, build and coordinate the implementation of strategic, multi-faceted and engaging content and communications offering consistency, cohesion and one voice- for the alumni magazine and other advancement initiatives and projects, including, but not limited to alumni content, proposals, impact reports, information packets, newsletters, etc.
- Establish, lead and continually refine a Coloradan Editorial Advisory Group composed of Advancement and university staff for the purpose of sharing ideas and brainstorm topics quarterly.
- Participate in the advisory board meetings, and in meetings with CU Boulder schools, colleges, units and departments to stay abreast of issues and initiatives.
- Develop story ideas, write and edit copy, manage staff writers and freelancers, and direct designers, printing and mailing vendors and other partners to develop creative content on deadline. Oversee storytelling content and editorial strategy for all publications and communications efforts.
- In concert with the Executive Director, oversee, implement and maintain a Campaign communications plan. Draft internal and external Campaign deliverables to include the development of a campaign case statement, ongoing campaign updates, all print/digital/video materials produced in support of the campaign including website content, printed collateral, brochures, update letters, e-newsletters, social media content, news releases, blog posts, PowerPoints, scripts and other communications and marketing collateral.
- Manage weekly idea/story meetings, publication schedules and idea/story budgets.
- Assist with producing internal communications that support Advancement and the university's brand and critical messaging, and provide regular, significant and consistent information about initiatives and activities across the university and among alumni.
- Work in concert with the Executive Director and campus partners and creative services team to develop, execute and monitor communications plans, programs and campaigns in collaboration with key university offices and departments.
- Work with teams, external and internal, including the Advancement Marketing and Communications Digital Engagement Team, to ensure cohesive content strategy and content creation. Create, maintain, and manage an overall inventory of compelling content to be implemented across all platforms.
- Liaise and solidify relationships with Strategic Communications and System Communications to ensure we are coordinated and in sync with content and initiatives.
- Actively anticipate and recommend communications strategies and messaging that elevate and protect the university's perception and reputation.
- In partnership with Advancement Marketing and Communications team, consider and explore new forms of communications encompassing the latest communications formats, tools and delivery methods, such as enhancing the online and social presence of the magazine.
- Develop goals, establish consistent standards for measurement, and assess progress through quantified and qualified research.
- Ensure all work is done in alignment with the vision and values of CU Boulder and Advancement Marketing and Communications.
- Collaborate with strategic communications team, with other colleagues and other university divisions and departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, and present information.
- Write clear, accurate content for online and print publications.
- Produce high quality final products on tight deadlines.
- Balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ensure adherence to graphic standards and brand consistency.
- Perform other duties as assigned and lead new projects as needed.