The Denver district office of Congresswoman Diana DeGette (CO-1) is seeking a Staff Assistant with superior communication (verbal and writing), customer service and problem-solving skills. The ideal candidate is organized, detail-oriented and resilient in the face of a fast-paced and ever- changing environment. The ideal candidate is proactive and comfortable working with staff, community members and constituents.
The Staff Assistant assists in the overall operation of the Denver district office, greeting visitors, answering the telephone, responding to constituent requests for general information, maintaining the front office and conducting various administrative duties. In addition, the Staff Assistant assists with casework, acting as a liaison between constituents and federal, state, and local agencies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Handles the bulk of incoming phone calls to the District Office; forwards/screens phone calls for the Congresswoman and other staff members; routes calls to appropriate staff/staff message boxes;
- Greets and screens visitors / constituents;
- Opens and distributes mail to appropriate staff members on a daily basis; collects and distributes incoming faxes to appropriate staff members; signs for deliveries and forwards all materials delivered to the District Office to appropriate staff members in a timely manner;
- Records constituent comments and assists constituents as necessary;
- Trains new staff and interns to handle office administrative matters such as logging incoming and outgoing correspondence, handling visitors, telephone calls and computer operations;
- Responds to constituent requests and inquiries; researches legislation and other issues for constituents;
- Manages, inventories and orders supplies for the office;
- Manages office equipment and IT systems;
- Performs general administrative assignments;
- Drives and staffs the Congresswoman for various events, meetings and District Office outreach activities/functions, as needed;
- Meets attendance requirements established by the office; works full time which periodically, may include additional hours, nights, and weekends without overtime pay; works well under pressure and manages stress appropriately;
- Maintains a good working relationship with the Congresswoman, staff and constituents;
- Assists constituents by researching and sharing information on federal issues and directing them to the appropriate state, local governments, or community organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the District Director.
- Answers casework correspondence, meets with constituents and serves as a liaison with federal, state and local agencies in assigned issue areas;
- Reviews and processes constituent correspondence and casework as assigned; determines the best course of action for individual cases;
- Implements district office casework policy using congressional casework tools, programs and resources;
- Screens and refers cases (when appropriate) to other congressional district offices; reviews active cases to ensure that they are handled in a timely manner;
- Maintains files on all cases and collects information of importance to the office;
- Records constituent comments and conducts research on questions relating to federal policy or procedures in their assigned issue areas.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to perform Essential Job Functions referenced herein;
- Good organizational skills, professional manner and appearance;
- Good communications skills (written and verbal); ability to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner;
- Ability to use and troubleshoot problems with photocopier, facsimile machine, telephone, and other office equipment;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; proficiency in word processing and mail-merge;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
- Ability to drive a car – valid driver’s license.
- Work is mainly performed in an office environment. Noise levels are usually moderate;
- Work at a small workstation without an expectation of privacy.
- Must be U.S. citizen; office experience preferred; driver’s license;
- High school or GED required; college degree preferred.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Starting salary of $40,000 annually;
- Healthcare insurance, including medical, dental and vision packages;
- Retirement benefits;
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays; and
- Student Loan Repayment Program.
- Please submit a cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to DeGette.Employment@mail.house.gov with “Denver – Staff Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.