Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado Denver – Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for an Events Coordinator. This full-time University Staff position that will support the Kempe Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect.
Kempe is a world leader in the prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect. We bring together leading research and treatment professionals, educators, policy makers, advocates and community members to make sure every child has the opportunity to develop and grow in a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment.
The Kempe Center Event Coordinator oversees the coordination and execution of numerous virtual and in-person academic, educational and training events and programs (herein, events). Each event is grounded in the pursuit of academic study. As an academic institution, the Kempe Center is committed to academic freedom. As a publicly funded university, the Kempe Center is also committed to upholding free speech. Many of these events intend to create spaces in which academics, professionals, those with lived experience, and other experts can engage with one another in the difficult topic of how best to support children and families affected by allegations of abuse or neglect. We expect dialogues to be bold, but respectful–grounded in both the rigors of academic study and the pain of lived experience that together can inform a better future. The events are also intended to drive connection with the Kempe community and stakeholders and expand awareness of Kempe’s mission, vision and values, expressed through our Core activities.
The events that require coordination are diverse and are led by different faculty within the Kempe Center, and some in collaboration with other Centers on the CU Anschutz Medical Campus. They include but are not limited in the future to:
- An International Virtual Conference: A Call to Action to Change Child Welfare. This is a 1700+ (and growing) participant event that occurs annually the first week of October.
- Continuing the Call to Action Monthly Series. It includes three components: a replay of a conference session; a podcast; and a conversation circle.
- The Kempe Interdisciplinary Institute. The Kempe Center has developed a series of child abuse research and evaluation courses to expand the researchers and evidence-supported programs in this field.
- Approximately 40 individuals participate in this program annually, whether we return to an in-event in the summer of each year, maintain a virtual approach or a combination of both.
- Virtual Village and its components
- Center Trainings
- CARE Network Convenings
- Gary P. Melton Visiting Professorship Series
- Partners in Prevention Webinar Series. This is a monthly webinar series in combination with the University of Colorado School of Public Health.
The position requires someone who is committed to an appreciative inquiry approach, building a learning culture, and striving to help shape a positive, affirmative organizational culture.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Work with the CORE Directors and program/project leads and internal team members to identify and develop event strategy and procedures.
- Maintain project timelines, meetings, agendas and status reports. Provide regular updates to the academic lead of each specific event, along with their internal teams.
- Provide periodic updates to appropriate parties on registration status for events with recommendations on how to expand reach and increase attendance.
- Maintain all event records and catalog resources such as documents and videos for future use.
Coordinate production of handouts and presentation materials, nametags, signage, gifts, etc.
- Organize and supervise Kempe staffing needs for events, and recommend needed staffing support levels.
- Build and maintain event-specific websites, in coordination with other Center shared resources for consistency and brand identity.
- These sites for instance include, Call to Action Conference and Kempe Institute.
- Build and maintain registration platforms for all events using Cvent, which is the University sponsored Event Management, Marketing & Registration platform.
- In addition, work with other campus partners like Colorado School of Public Health where there is a dual registration role.
- Build and leverage on-campus relationships to access additional resources and supports to successfully execute the events.
- Coordinate with Kempe’s IT professional and the University’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) to ensure events are set up using technology most effectively and appropriately.
- Coordinate with Kempe finance team who is responsible for managing event billing and other vendor invoices. Processing travel reimbursements, SOWs and honoraria as needed.
- Manage communications with all speakers for events (including keynoters, lecturers, visiting professors) to ensure that they have necessary information, logistical, travel or technical support.
- Coordinate and maintain continuing education credits for eligible events with external providers and attendees.
- Coordinate scholarship opportunities and application process for eligible events.
- Post event coordination around evaluation support to help develop course specific or event evaluations and on-going mentoring sessions.
- Point person for all event communications, including internal collaborators and external stakeholders such as potential attendees/registrants, vendors, and others.
- Virtual events — provide technical assistance and organization of virtual event platforms including but not limited to Cvent (Event Management, Marketing & Registration platform), CrowdCompass (mobile event app and platform), Zoom, Etc.
- In-person events — research and negotiate with venues, hotels, caterers, and other vendors for discounted rates, all while adhering to CU Anschutz, financial policies.
- Provide on-site/virtual event management and customer service for participants during events.
- Develop and implement marketing for events, in collaboration with other team members. This may include but is not limited to email announcements, social posts, web banners, digital advertising opportunities and targeted outreach.
- Research on potential event exhibition / sponsorship opportunities (virtual and in-person) to raise awareness about the Kempe Center.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality, Event Planning, or related fields
- 3 years of event planning or special events experience.
- 2 years of project coordination and management experience.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- 2 years of planning and executing successful events
- 2 years of contract negotiation and vendor management skills.
- 1 year of experience in higher education
Conditions of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a 10-panel drug test through Children’s Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex-offender background check
- Self-starter who works well in a fast-paced, team-oriented and deadline-oriented environment.
Detail-oriented with strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to prioritize workload, work independently, and complete tasks under time pressure as necessary.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and attention to detail; strong work ethic; and poise and professionalism when interacting with internal and external contacts.
Flexibility and creativity to respond productively to individualized needs of faculty and react to difficult situations appropriately.
- Strong computer skills including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Zoom and other virtual platform experience a plus (Cvent, CrowdCompass, Constant Contact).
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $47,500 to $60,500.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at email@example.com.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions: Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.