Executive Director: Museums of Western Colorado
The Executive Director is the chief executive of the Museums of Western Colorado and is responsible for managing the three satellite facilities: Museums of the West; Dinosaur Journey; and Cross Orchards Historic Site. As such, the Executive Director is responsible for the general and fiscal leadership and management of the entire organization, including programs, partnerships, fundraising, budgets, and external relations. Above all, the Executive Director is charged with delivering on the mission and goals of the organization in a fiscally sound manner. This person plays a principal role in the success of the Museums of Western Colorado, working closely with the Board of Directors, staff and volunteers, and developing and articulating the strategic direction of the Museums while implementing strategies and initiatives to achieve desired results.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors. The Director will meet with the Board and committees on a regular basis.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: This position Requires:
- An advanced degree from a regionally accredited institution with major course work in Museum Studies, Business Administration or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years progressively responsible management /business administration in the museum, cultural or related non-profit field
- 4 years’ experience in direct supervision and management of staff and volunteers including experience in management of Human Resources related issues, understanding and following proper H/R protocols and procedures
- Experience in the preparation of the annual financial budget for submission to the full Board of Directors and demonstrated financial ability to organize and manage a budget and to monitor ongoing financial performance
- A demonstrated track record in successful fundraising (to include but not limited to earned income, membership, annual and planned giving)
- Demonstrated success in preparing grant applications and securing funding from a wide variety of sources and the proven ability to monitor and report grant compliance
- Effective communicator with proven ability to work with individuals or diversified groups such as staff, board, government, community and business leaders, donors, and volunteers
- Proven administrative, management analytical, and strategic planning skills.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- A demonstrated ability to implement museum policies and procedures
- A dynamic management style to inspire and motivate staff and volunteers
- A knowledge of marketing and social media
- The ability to manage internal database
MUSEUMS OF WESTERN COLORADO
Thanks to the past support from our community, the Museums of Western Colorado (MWC) has become the largest multi-disciplinary museum complex between Salt Lake City and Denver. It includes three major museum facilities — the Cross Orchards Historic Site, Dinosaur Journey Museum, and the Museum of the West; it also encompasses the Loyd Files Research Library, and four outdoor paleontology sites. We offer a multitude of programs and services including dinosaur expeditions and gift shops. Annually, over 100,000 people visit the museum facilities and participate in our programs. The MWC is one of the most significant cultural institutions on the Western Slope and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Mesa County.
Hiring Range: $60,000 – $70,000 per year dependent on qualifications. Benefits: Health/Vision/Dental, Vacation/Sick, Retirement Plan.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by June 21, 2019.
Submit a cover letter describing qualifications and experiences as they relate to the specific requirements, responsibilities and preferences of this position, current resume/CV, copies of transcripts for all degrees completed (official transcripts will need to be submitted upon hire), and the names, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references. If offered the position a thorough background check (personal, motor vehicle, and financial) will be conducted before official hire.
Send to: Museums of Western Colorado Executive Director Search Committee
Museums of Western Colorado
PO Box 20000
Grand Junction, CO 81502
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year
- Management: 4 years (Preferred)
- Multiple locations