The role of External Relations Manager is to advance CSU Global’s reputation and impact through generation of earned media, community engagements, and management of key external stakeholder relationships in the community. The successful candidate will be an experienced media relations professional who has demonstrated the ability to increase media coverage in print, broadcast, and digital media at the national and regional levels and in industry and trade media.This role will also require event attendance at a large number of live and virtual events, utilizing them to make connections between influential stakeholders and the community. The incumbent will assist with the development of communication, community engagement, and outreach strategies to elevate the University’s visibility in and connections within targeted communities, audiences, and associations in Colorado and educate the public on the value of a career-relevant education.
OUR MISSION & VALUES
Colorado State University Global is committed to advancing student academic and professional success in a global society, by providing access to dynamic education characterized by excellence, innovative delivery technologies, industry relevance, and strong stakeholder engagement. We set the standard for quality and innovation in higher education because of our core values. Our values make an impact.
Innovative Thinking: We identify opportunities to facilitate student and CSU Global success through the execution of transformative industry methods and progressive solutions that are effective, efficient, and innovative.
Mission Focused: We drive student success in a global society through education, services, guidance, and experience.
Professional Development: We are a learning organization that is always evolving and are committed to the professional development of our faculty, staff, and students.
Accountability: We take ownership of performance across all levels and functions of the organization creating an excellent stakeholder experience.
Care: We engage with care in all that we do, creating an inclusive environment to ensure that we are treating each person as an individual and respecting the needs and wants of staff, faculty, and students.
Teamwork: We don't just talk about teamwork; we exhibit it in the way that we interact, collaborate, consult each other, resolve issues, and respect each other's contributions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Maintain and enhance relationships with members of national, regional, and higher education media
● Cultivate and foster relationships with media to pitch stories and to arrange interviews with experts
● Manage media requests and respond quickly to incoming inquiries from reporters
● Draft media materials including press releases, key messages, Q&A and fact sheets
● Collaborate closely with content managers, social media managers, visual storytellers, and key stakeholders across campus to identify experts who can address emerging issues in the news
● Proactively mine for original content to uncover compelling and differentiating stories within the university
● Proactively conduct outreach and serve as primary point of contact to journalists, news outlets, and digital media resources
● Stay ahead of current events, higher education news, and trends to identify potential media opportunities
● Fully leverage PR software (Cision or Meltwater) to target media outlets, issue releases, track press coverage, and facilitate analytics and reporting
● Update the university's online news pages and events
● Assist in emergency situations that may require crisis communications support
● Demonstrate the highest level of integrity and professionalism
● Lead and organize the university’s community outreach and engagement efforts, identifying key areas of need and opportunities that align with the University strategic plan and current priorities of executive leadership
● Develop a strategic network of community partnerships, including community organizations, nonprofits/non-profit associations, workforce development organizations, government agencies, business and trade associations, and community organizations to build shared understanding and support, communication flow, and relationship development
● Establish and maintain strong partnerships and meaningful relationships with the CSU system and its system-wide partners, serving on system wide committees where appropriate
● Identify opportunities for the university to be recognized in the community for its work
● Place CSU Global executive leadership and faculty on community boards and workgroups; coordinate all logistics for participation, including coordination of marketing materials, coordination of materials, and calendar invites
● Serve as point person for placing content into stakeholder newsletters, including CSU system Board of Governor’s communications, Chancellor’s newsletter, and channels owned by partners and regional associations
● Connect with key university partners to ensure CSU Global regional brand awareness is achieved through activities such as event partnerships, newsletter submissions, and social media sharing/tagging, among other tactics
● Report out on community topics to senior leadership on matters of areas of opportunity for strategic partnerships and community engagement
● Represent CSU Global at community meetings, public events, and on committees and task forces as identified as important for CSU Global, invite CSU Global leadership and/or faculty to key community events
● Build and manage annual sponsorship, event attendance, and memberships budget, ensuring engagement is mutually beneficial
● Serve as a member of the crisis communications team, updating the CSU system reps, chancellor, community stakeholders in a liaison role
● Develop a communications strategy for affiliate and partner communications, including content creation, development of collateral, and presentation materials to engage stakeholders in University initiatives
● Develop a public relations strategy, capitalizing on opportunities to connect with community groups, issues, and needs and leveraging university resources, and building communications to support public awareness
● Maintain responsiveness in all communications, responding to inquiries within 24-hour SLAs
● Ensure CRM is updated with communications and agreements between the University and the external organization or stakeholder
● Other duties as assigned
● This position supervises one outreach specialist
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
● Excellent news judgment
● Excellent interpersonal communication skills
● Excellent writing, research and editing skills, with proficient knowledge of Associated Press style
● Strong planning and organizational skills
● Team player; ability to move quickly, take initiative, multi-task, and work cross-functionally
● Excellent attention to detail
● Familiar with various tools, technologies, and delivery methods for virtual events such as video conferencing tools and virtual event platforms
● Demonstrated ability to take direction and coaching
● Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented with strong organization, project management, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills
● Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and multi-task to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
● Demonstrated interpersonal communications and time management skills.
● Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and proactive
● Demonstrated experience to connect the needs and goals of functional teams with marketing activities and solutions
● Successfully completes regulatory and job training requirements
● Various social media, marketing, and customer resource management systems
● Enter data into the computer using software applications for data entry and word processing
● Work and be proficient with e-mail systems
● Ability to perform repetitive tasks while maintaining the speed of work and attention to detail without loss to productivity
● Ability to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and directions and is able to monitor and assess performance of themselve, other individuals to make improvements or corrective action.
● Knowledge of management of personnel resources and the ability to motivate, develop and direct people as they work.
● Ability to perform under stress in cases of emergency, critical or hazardous situations
● Ability to work with others in a team environment
● Familiarity with PR management software such as Cision, Meltwater, or other similar tool
● This position will require up to 20% travel within the state of Colorado for external events, mostly occurring in the Denver-Metro and Aurora region. This individual will have the flexibility to work partially remote but must be available to travel for on-campus or Denver-Metro activities that may account for 2 – 3 times per week, depending on business demands.
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to touch, handle or feel, and talk or hear.
● The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms.
● Ability to spend long durations of the workday in front of a computer monitor.
● Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
● The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
● Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, Political Science, Communications, Public Relations, or related degree.
● At least three years of experience in media relations and media pitching.
● Preferred one year of experience managing client relations for a PR firm or managing an employee.
● Experience with education or non-profit industry is desirable.
● Extensive experience working with media in print, broadcast, and other platforms.
● Strong network of media contacts including regional and national reporters desired.
CSU Global offers employer contributions to medical, dental, group life, AD&D coverage, Wellness benefit and training & development opportunities. Additional employee-paid benefits are available for vision, FSA/HSA, voluntary life, and voluntary AD&D coverage, critical illness and accident insurance. CSU Global also offers a 401a retirement account with a generous employer match, 100% tuition assistance for CSU Global programs (Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees), paid sick time, paid vacation time, and 10 holidays per year. CSU Global employees are state employees and have access to the Colorado State Employee Assistance Program (C-SEAP) resources. Discounted pet insurance is also available.
Salary:$65,000 – $70,000
Applicants who advance through the hiring process will be asked to participate in the following: a pre-recorded video, job skills demonstration, and live interview(s) through video or in-person. The candidate appointed to the role(s)will be asked to complete and pass a background check. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the American with Disabilities Act and certain state and local laws. If you require an accommodation to CSU Global’s hiring process, please respond email StaffRecruiting@csuglobal.edu or call us at 303-515-6164.
Colorado State University System is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding affirmative action requirements. In order to assist Colorado State University System in meeting its affirmative action responsibilities, ethnic minorities, women, and other protected class members are encouraged to apply and to also identify themselves.