ARE YOU READY TO TAKE YOUR CAREER TO NEW HEIGHTS? ARE YOU SEEKING A NEW CHALLENGE IN A DYNAMIC SECTOR?
This is a very exciting and highly innovative time here at Outside.
OUR TRUE NORTH:
Outside Interactive, Inc., the premier hub for active lifestyle enthusiasts, offers best-in-class content and experiences to more than 70 million of the world’s most passionate outdoor, wellness, and endurance enthusiasts every month. We inspire a broad and diverse audience to do the activities they love with greater enjoyment, inspiration, and knowledge and are dedicated to making real change in the outdoor and fitness industries.
Outside Interactive, Inc. is searching for a Gear Editorial Director to run our product-focused editorial department. This person will be the face of all things gear at Outside, in charge of the vision and direction of a centralized team that produces product coverage for multiple verticals brands, including Ski, Backpacker, and Outside magazine. The Gear department is responsible for all of our editorial reviews (in both digital and in print) and everything that falls under that umbrella, including all of our testing protocols, editorial affiliate program, our recently announced gear-testing facility, the Outside Lab @ CU Denver, and much more.
The ideal Gear Editorial Director will be a high-level thinker, familiar with creating 30,000-foot strategies, building the structures to support them, and then managing a team on the ground to turn them into a reality. From planning multiple gear-testing trips per year to assigning and editing stories, this is a dynamic role that requires constant shifting of gears to produce compelling and exciting results.
This position is extremely collaborative and you will interface with almost every segment of the company. The Gear Editorial Director will be responsible for their own budget and at least three direct reports, with more roles underneath them. This is a fully remote position, so virtual management experience is a major bonus.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Familiarize yourself with the following key strategy areas: SEO, affiliate editorial, traffic, membership, digital Gear Guides, print Gear Guides, Outside Lab @ CU Denver
- Integrate into the Gear team structure and run their weekly meetings
- Plug into key recurring meetings with stakeholders in the company (SEO; affiliate; sales and marketing)
- Have the keys to all of our analytics tools and use them to inform coverage
- Audit Outside’s Gear strategy and prepare for any necessary changes
- Have access to and familiarize yourself with the annual Gear Guide budget
- Act as the public spokesperson for the Gear team (attend trade shows, answer press inquiries, interface with outdoor brands)
- Begin editing stories for print and digital
Within 6 months, you will:
- Have a full grasp of key strategies via deep dives in each area
- Begins to make any changes that are necessary to those strategies
- Have a full grasp of the budget and how it may need to be adjusted
- Fully integrate into the business and work with stakeholders on important projects across the company
- Help the Gear team meet deadlines across print and digital platforms
- Take ownership of column(s) and have steady editorial output
Within 12 months, you will:
- Execute any necessary strategic changes in key areas, including potential growth opportunities
- Drive measurable, strategic growth in SEO, affiliate editorial, traffic, and membership from the Gear Guide franchises
- Create content stream(s) out of the Outside Lab @ CU Denver
What YOU bring to Outside: (Preferred Qualifications)
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field
- 8+ of experience working for a consumer publication
- 5+ years of management experience
- Experience with various publishing CMS platforms
- Should be organized, able to meet deadlines, and comfortable handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working with multiple teams within an organization (art, marketing, sales)
- Experience interacting with advertising clients and agencies
- Broad range of outdoor gear knowledge
- Experience as a representative for a brand/publication a plus
- Extensive knowledge of the outdoor industry a plus
- Nights, weekends, and travel sometimes required
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
We are unable to sponsor or transfer a VISA for this position
Entirely remote jobs that could be performed in Colorado: Employees can expect to be paid a salary between $100,000 to 130,000. Additional benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more. This salary range is merely an estimate and may vary based on an applicant's location, market data/ranges, an applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors.