The Department of Health Care Policy & Financing (HCPF) oversees and operates Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program), Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+), and other state public health programs for qualified Coloradans. Our mission is to improve health care equity, access and outcomes for the people we serve while saving Coloradans money on health care and driving value for Colorado.
We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
We are looking for a talented Hospital Relations & Communications Manager to join our Special Financing Division in the Finance Office.
As part of the State of Colorado, HCPF offers a competitive benefits package:
- PERA retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan, PERA Defined Contribution Plan, plus 401K and 457 plans
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance coverage
- Automatic Short-Term and Optional Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) job protection and State of Colorado Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML)
- 10 Paid Holidays Annually and Accrued Annual and Sick Leave
- Accrued Sick Leave for State of Colorado Temporary Employees
- Flexplace and Flextime work arrangements
- Variety of discounts on services and products available through the State of Colorado's Work-Life Employment Discount Program.
- Discounted RTD EcoPass
- Reduced college tuition through CSU Global
The Finance Office consists of the Chief Financial Officer, the Budget Division,
Controller Division, which includes the Procurement Division, Payment Reform
Section, Special Financing Division, and Audits Division. The Chief Financial Officer
(CFO) is accountable for the financial and risk management operations of the
Department and oversees control systems that report financial results and maintain
The Special Financing Division administers, allocates and establishes funding to qualified medical providers who serve the indigent population. This includes the administration of the Colorado Indigent Care Program established by the Reform Act for the Provision of Health Care for the Medically Indigent, Section 25.5-3-101, et seq., C.R.S.; the administration of the Primary Care Fund, established through Section 21 of Article X of the State Constitution and Section 25.5-3-301, et seq., C.R.S.; the administration of the Old Age Pension Health and Medical Care Fund established through Article XXIV of the Colorado Constitution and Section 25.5-2-101, et seq., C.R.S; the administration of the Medicaid School Health Services Program established by Section 25.5-5-315, et seq., C.R.S.; the administration of the Hospital Provider Fee Model and the Hospital Provider Fee Advisory and Oversight Board established by the Colorado Health Care Affordability Act, Section 25.5-4-402.3, et seq., C.R.S.; the administration of the Nursing Facility Provider Fee Model established by Section 25.5-6-202, et seq., C.R.S.; the administration of the Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID) provider fee established by Section 25.5-6-204, et seq., C.R.S.; and administration of the Colorado Dental Health Care Program for Low-Income Seniors established by Section 25.5-3-401, et seq., C.R.S. In addition, the work unit researches methods for leveraging federal funds, and funds from other sources, to offset the expenditure of State General Funds to maintain or increase reimbursement levels to qualified medical providers.
Description of Job
This is what you'll be doing:
Do the values and mission of where you work matter? Do you like finding innovative solutions to problems? Do you want your work to benefit every person in the State? If you answered yes to these questions this role might be great for you.
Here are more specifics about what you will do:
This position serves as communications subject matter expert for Colorado Healthcare Affordability and Sustainability Enterprise (CHASE) related work including but not limited to: CHASE Board and subcommittees, Hospital Transformation Program, Hospital Quality Incentive Payments, hospital financial and community benefit transparency and analysis, hospital policy and payment reform, and related Finance Office communication efforts.
This position is the communication liaison between the Finance Office and the Policy & Communications Office and develops, executes, and tracks communication plans prioritized by the Finance Office in coordination with the Department’s Communication Director. Position Actively contributes communications subject matter expertise in external meetings for CHASE related work.
This position identifies opportunities for stakeholder and speaking engagements related to CHASE related work in consultation with division and office leadership and Finance Office staff. This position drafts, revises and reviews stakeholder meeting materials.
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has impacted how and where we do our work. During this pandemic, we are onboarding new employees using a hybrid approach. The Department supports flexible work arrangements. Depending on the business need and description of the position, we have options that range from fully remote, hybrid, to full-time in the office. Specific discussions about the schedule will be discussed during the offer stage
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Here is the stuff we need you to have:
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Communications, Marketing, public Relations, Journalism, English, or a closely related field;
Two (2) years of professional experience in professional communications, marketing, social media, and/or web design, or closely related experience.
Additional appropriate related experience will substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Additional appropriate related education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis. (1 Year for Masters, 2 Years for JD, PhD.)
Here is the stuff we would like you to have:
Preferred Qualifications and Essential Competencies:
- Education, training or communications experience in health care, public health, or
other relevant fields.
- Outstanding skills and abilities in verbal and written communications.
- Experience developing communication plans.
- Experience writing in a variety of styles and communicating complex technical or
health care information for audiences with a range of education attainment, from
those with limited literacy to highly educated professionals.
- Experience updating web site content and managing web content platforms and/or
- Excellent organizational skills; demonstrated ability to set, track, and accomplish
priorities, goals, and timetables to achieve maximum productivity, knowing the
status of activities at all times.
- Tech savvy and well-versed with software and web-based applications, including
Microsoft Suite and Google Suite.
- Knowledge of AP Style Guide.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and to exercise tact, discretion, and
- Credibility and confidence; strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated proficiency
working collaboratively with internal teams, technical and community partners, and
diverse public stakeholders.
- High level of emotional intelligence that facilitates the ability to sense others’
reactions, views and goals, and actively manages own reactions and behavior
based on that information.
- Critical thinking; ability and motivation to develop creative solutions to complex,
interpersonal, process, and systemic challenges.
- Self-efficacy, flexibility and adaptability; high tolerance for ambiguity and ability to
perform research to identify appropriate courses of action.
- Initiative and self-management; the passion and ability to dive into the work and
accomplish tasks within established time frames.
- Strong sense of professionalism, including a strong work ethic and reliability.
DEFINITION OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: Work that involves exercising discretion, analytical skill, judgment, personal accountability, and responsibility for creating, developing, integrating, applying, and sharing an organized body of knowledge that characteristically is uniquely acquired through an intense education or training regimen at a recognized college or university; equivalent to the curriculum requirements for a bachelor's or higher degree with major study in or pertinent to the specialized field; and continuously studied to explore, extend, and use additional discoveries, interpretations, and application and to improve data, materials, equipment, applications and methods.
More stuff we need you to know:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
All positions at HCPF are security sensitive positions and require that the individuals undergo a criminal record background check as a condition of employment.
Employees who have been disciplinary terminated, resigned in lieu of disciplinary termination, or negotiated their termination from the State of Colorado must disclose this information on the application.
- Effective September 20, 2021, employees will be required to attest to and verify that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated will be required to submit to twice-weekly serial testing. Testing details will be provided during the onboarding process. Upon hire, new employees will have three (3) business days to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination, or begin twice-weekly serial testing for COVID-19.
Testing will take place in-person/at home/TBD and will be considered paid work time.
Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for this position, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board or request a review by the State Personnel Director.
An appeal or review must be submitted on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative. This form must be delivered to the State Personnel Board by email (email@example.com), postmarked in US Mail or hand delivered (1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver CO 80203), or faxed (303.866.5038) within ten (10) calendar days from your receipt of notice or acknowledgement of the department’s action.
For more information about the appeals process, the official appeal form, and how to deliver it to the State Personnel Board; go to spb.colorado.gov; contact the State Personnel Board for assistance at (303) 866-3300; or refer to 4 Colorado Code of Regulations (CCR) 801-1, State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, Chapter 8, Resolution of Appeals and Disputes, at spb.colorado.gov under Rules.
How to Apply (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
Please note that ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed during the initial screening; if you submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample, they will be reviewed in later stages of the selection process. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all your relevant experience on the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered.
A complete application packet must include:
- A completed State of Colorado application.
- Cover letter describing your interest in Hospital Relations & Communications and why you are qualified for this position.
Writing sample – please provide a recent press release or similar public communication.
- Response to supplemental questionnaire.
The Selection Process
- All applications that are received by the closing of this announcement will be reviewed against the Minimum Qualifications in this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications proceed to the next step.
- Colorado Revised Statutes require that state employees are hired and promoted based on merit and fitness through a comparative analysis process.
- Part of, or all of, the comparative analysis for this position may be a structured application review, which involves a review of the information you submit in your application materials by Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) against the preferred qualifications.
- A top group, up to six candidates, will be invited to schedule an interview with the hiring manager.
ADAAA Accommodations: The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
The Department of Health Care Policy & Financing is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Debra Becerra, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-866-4438.
The Department of Health Care Policy & Financing does not offer sponsored visas for employment purposes.