Reports to: Director of Administration
Direct Reports: 0, possibly volunteers or interns
Status: Full-time, exempt
Schedule: 40 hours/week, Mon-Fri, variable
Compensation and Benefits: Foothills Animal Shelter offers a competitive total compensation package. Benefits include 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave, expense reimbursement, and more. Salary is negotiable depending upon experience.
Foothills Animal Shelter, employing 50 staff and serving 9,500 animals annually, is seeking a well-rounded, people-focused human resources visionary who lives to support and develop people to be the best they can be and love what they do. The ideal candidate will be adaptable, strategic, decisive, and focused, while juggling many projects and demands across departments, teams, and functions. The HR & Employee Engagement Manager oversees all employee services and programs including training, payroll, recognition, benefits, and retention.
Position Summary: Working closely with the Director of Administration, the HR & Employee Engagement Manager is responsible for developing and implementing the Shelter’s human resources programs and services.
- Provide leadership and consulting support to management on matters of organizational issues, goal-setting, policy development, employee communication and strategic implementation in support of the Shelter’s mission and strategic plan.
- Maintains a high level of credibility as an effective, responsive, and knowledgeable internal resource.
- Provides and ensures compliant, efficient and customer-focused HR resources, including wages, salaries, and benefits, employment and contractor agreements, workers compensation, and unemployment.
- Interacts with vendors contracted for HR benefits, risk/safety and other HR-related functions.
- Provides and ensures knowledge of and compliance with all laws concerning employee benefits (ERISA, COBRA, etc.) and employment (wage and hour laws, EEO, regulations or requirements of employee versus contractor, etc.).
- Support the Shelter management efforts as they relate to compensation planning, employee performance, performance management, employee relations matters and related training and development.
- With the Director of Administration, develops systems and processes that contribute to optimum performance, and assists the organization in building its capacity for change and growth.
- Develops and implements processes for recruiting, interviewing, hiring, onboarding, performance management, and employee relations/discipline.
- Works within the department’s budget and other financial measures of the Administration Department.
- Leads key initiatives to promote and achieve a culture of service excellence and employee engagement.
- Supports and implements internal communications for communicating critical information to employees.
- Develops employee recognition strategies to include reviewing, evaluating and making recommendations for departmental recognition programs.
- Gathers and evaluates key performance, productivity, and engagement metrics, surveys staff and encourages staff involvement in initiative development, and participates in ongoing analysis of key data identifying trends.
- Strategically collaborates with and builds relationships across work groups and teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated high level of project management skills, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, collaboratively when needed, and maintain a high level of professionalism.
- Proven ability to learn, interpret, and comply with various legal requirements affecting Human Resources regulations, methods and procedures.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically about the broad goals of the Shelter while following through on the detail-oriented work required by the position.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, work independently, and respond to changing priorities proficiently.
- Must be able to foster the Shelter’s culture in the ways and means of their service to the team. The Shelter’s culture embraces care, growth, learning and a mentality of work hard, play hard.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Business or similar field required. Advanced degree or SPHR/PHR certification preferred.
- Proficient Microsoft Office Suite skills required. Advanced or Mastery skill level preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in a Human Resources role preferred.
- Experience leading project teams preferred.
- Experience with payroll/HR software and HRIS required.
- Experience maintaining payroll and benefits required.
- Employee program management experience required.
- May be required to work some evenings and weekends.
- Noise and odors are encountered due to animals.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches.
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs. with reasonable accommodation.