Founded in 1988, Urban Peak is the only non-profit organization in Denver that provides a full convergence of services for youth ages 15 through 24 experiencing homelessness or at imminent risk of becoming homeless. Our goal is to meet youth where they are and to provide them with the assistance and support they need to become self-sufficient or obtain the necessary services they need to exit a life on the streets. Urban Peak provides numerous programs and services that are founded on the principles of trauma-informed care and Positive Youth Development to assist youth in reaching their potential and living a successful life off of the streets. Services include street outreach, a 40-bed shelter for youth ages 15 through 20, a daytime drop-in center, supportive housing, education and employment services, case management, life skills courses, behavioral health evaluations, meals and more.
The youth served at the shelter come from a variety of backgrounds, and we strive to be a safe community for all youth, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, class, educational background, sexual orientation, gender identity, or ability status.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in Human Resources, or Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or a related field with two (2) to three (3) years related experience
- Experience in full cycle recruiting – applicant tracking, onboarding, offer letters, benefits knowledge
- Ability to maintain high–degree of confidentiality
- General knowledge of various employment Federal, State, City and County laws mandates and practices
- Excellent organization skills and detail oriented
- Basic knowledge of non-profit HR practices preferred
- Ability to quickly learn and maintain in-depth knowledge of new software such as e-signature and sign up platforms
- Experience with ATS software – ADP platform strongly preferred
- Strong communication skills; both written and verbal
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively under pressure with attention to detail
- Must be computer proficient and possess experience of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel); ADP software experience highly desirable
- Understanding of the provision of and commitment to trauma informed care and positive youth development
- Lived experience reflective of the youth we serve encouraged but not required
- Must be insurable as a driver on Urban Peak’s auto liability policy in order to conduct business on behalf of the agency
- Must pass both federal and state background checks
- Must pass pre-employment TB screening
- Must show proof of COVID-19 vaccine
This is a full-time position. The typical work schedule is Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Staff Recruitment & Hiring
- Recruiting efforts should aim to seek diverse candidates that are reflective of the youth we serve. Focus recruiting efforts on increasing organizational capacity to deliver and evaluate culturally competent programming.
- Maintaining a lens of diversity, equity and inclusion in all recruiting and hiring activities
- Partnering with hiring managers to determine staffing needs
- Creating and maintaining job descriptions as well as job postings
- Screening resumes
- Performing in-person and phone interviews with candidates
- Administering appropriate agency assessments
- Performing reference and background checks per Licensing Regs.
- Making recommendations to agency hiring managers
- Coordinating interviews with hiring managers
- Following up on the interview process status
- Communicating agency information and benefits during screening process
- Staying current on the agency’s organization structure, personnel policy, and federal and state laws regarding employment practices
- Serving as a liaison with area employment agencies, colleges, and industry associations
- Completing timely reports on employment activity
- Ensuring hiring pre-requisites are met throughout the onboarding process
- Coordinating staff training schedule with appropriate staff members
- Conducting Staff Orientation
- Preparing new hire paperwork, ensuring that proper documentation is provided and filed appropriately in accordance with state and federal laws
- Compiling and updating employee records (hard and soft copies)
- Conducting file audits
- Working in collaboration with Denver Department of Public Health and Urban Peak Senior Leadership to ensure all staff are tested regularly for COVID-19; manage PPE supply and distribution for agency
- Working with staff across the agency on the Wellness and Engagement Committee to plan and execute staff events and wellness activities throughout the year
- Managing performance review system
- Acting as the HR representative on the Training Committee to ensure HR trainings are well rounded and fit the needs of the agency
- Assisting or leading regular HR trainings both in person and lunch and learn video trainings
- Conducting follow-up exit interviews on separating employees as needed
- Assisting HR Manager with compensation delivery to payroll
- Assisting HR Manager by fielding benefits questions during hiring/terminations as well as during open enrollment
- Coordinating HR meetings, trainings, etc.
- Assisting in documenting and managing workers comp claims
- Assisting in tracking and managing Unemployment Claims, I-9 compliance
- Assisting with day to day operations of the HR functions and duties
General Administrative Support
- General administration duties
- Sorting and delivering mail to administrative departments daily
- Ordering supplies for Administrative departments
- Organizing and assigning shared Administrative staff office responsibilities
- Providing clerical and administrative support to the Administration team as needed
- Other duties as assigned
See full job description here
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
$23.08 to $25.48 per hour
Our benefits package includes:
100% of base Medical and Dental plans provided by employer (buy-up plans available) · Matching 403(b) Retirement Plan · Vision Plan · Accident Coverage · Critical Care and Hospital Extended Stay Plans · Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Medical and Dependent Care · Employee Assistance Program · RTD Eco Pass · 10 Paid Holidays · Paid Sick and 120 hours Vacation time starting Basic Life and AD&D provided by employer (buy-up plans available) · Short-Term and Long-Term Disability provided by employer · Tele-health and Dispatch Health included in medical plan · Fantastic work culture with room for growth through internal training and mentoring.
Please use our web portal to apply for this position.
Please include submit cover letter, resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three (3) professional and/or academic references.
You may also submit resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org or
ATTN: Human Resources
2100 Stout Street
Denver, CO 80205
Fax: (303) 295-6116
All attachements should be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or portal document format (.pdf). In the subject field of the email include job title, and your first and last name. (Example: 012345 – HR Specialist – Doe, Jane).
Urban Peak is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of applicants.