Program: Head Start – Early Childhood Education
The Lead Teacher is responsible for the planning, organizing, implementation and delivery of the preschool program (ages 3-5) based on the individual and group’s educational, intellectual, physical, social and emotional potential of the children enrolled utilizing an ecological model that focuses on the child and family. Service modalities include Trauma Informed Care, Conscious Discipline, Motivational Interviewing, utilizing the domains of CLASS (Classroom Assessment Scoring System), Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework, Creative Curriculum, and Teaching Strategies Gold (TSG). Job Duties include the responsibility for working alongside the Teacher Associate, Teacher Assistant, and Foster Grandparents in managing the classroom’s physical and educational environment, partnering with families to support whole child development, collaborating with all team members and partners to consistently improve individual, team, and children’s learning outcomes, preparing and maintaining documentation in compliance with federal, state, and agency performance standards, creating a positive classroom climate to benefit the social-emotional and academic development of students and welcomes families.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Ensures that the family’s voice is heard, and their ideas play a prominent role in programming.
• Plans and implements high-quality, trauma-informed, large group and individualized lessons that align with Head Start, CLASS, and TSG performance standards.
• Organizes classroom environment to support top ECERS-R (Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale-Revised) and CLASS ratings and creates a welcoming and warm environment for all students and their families.
• Utilizes lessons and studies from the Creative Curriculum and Conscience Discipline to guide children’s education.
• Engages in consistent data gathering, documentation, assessment, and analysis of student’s performance. Plans lessons to support growth in all areas. Maintains a portfolio of children’s growth and assessments using the Teachings Strategies GOLD platform.
• In conjunction with the Teacher Associate, conducts two Home Visits and at least two conferences with families in order to build relationships and helps guardians learn they are always the child’s first teacher.
• Ensures that children with disabilities are identified early and served in an inclusive environment.
• Discusses children’s ongoing development in collaboration with the Education Coordinator, School Nurse, Mental Health and Developmental consultants. Provides thorough documentation when referrals are made for students in need of further evaluation.
• Maintains accurate records of students’ daily and hourly attendance and Meal Counts.
• Aides in the organization and maintenance of the classroom, kitchen, and other school-related materials.
• Creates and maintains a predictable schedule and routine for the classroom, including arriving to work on time and refraining from frequent absences.
• Regularly maintains classrooms sanitization practices in accordance to licensing and best practices.
• Attends orientations, trainings, education programs, staff meetings, community meetings, conferences and workshops as requested and applicable to meet the needs of the position. May provide training and mentorship to team members and community stakeholders regarding best practices in relevant service models and practices.
• Completes a minimum of 15 credit hours of continued education per licensing requirements.
• Performs all duties in a professional manner, adhering to the NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) Code of Ethics, and maintaining confidentiality of all information.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Models core culture attributes of VOACO that include “AIRS” (Accountability, Integrity, Respect and Service).
• Models and VOACO’s three critical virtues of HHS (Hungry, Humble, People Smart).
• Colorado Early Childhood Licensing requirements
• Head Start Performance Standards
• Teaching Strategies GOLD
• CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program)
• CCAP (Child Care Assistance Program)
• Ensures equitable and inclusive services.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OF POSITION
• Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or closely related field; or Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education or closely related field and 2 years of related experience with verifiable hours of eligibility letter.
• Two years of teaching in a classroom environment with verified hours of eligibility letter.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS OF POSITION
• Experience working with individuals and families from diverse backgrounds.
• Bilingual (English and Spanish)
• Previous Lead Teacher Experience
• Experience with Teaching Strategies GOLD, CLASS, ECERS-R, Trauma-Informed care, and Creative Curriculum.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and through writing to families, coworkers, consultants, volunteers and community partners.
• Good organizational skills.
• Basic computer and tablet skills to input data and documentation.
• Knowledge about human development.
• Ability to use standard classroom office technology: I-Pad, copier, computer.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Teaching Early Childhood is a physically demanding job with frequent standing, walking, squatting, bending, sitting on the floor and in small chairs, running, lifting, and reaching.
• Physical demands require constant movement for up to 6 hours daily.
• The classroom environment or outside and gym play can get noisy.
• Teachers must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to respond quickly and appropriately during emergency situations.
• Ability to work indoors and outdoors during all seasons and weather conditions.
• Emotional/mental stability and ability to auditorily and visually supervise students in care.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
Full Time: Monday through Friday: 8am to 4:30pm or 7am to 3:30pm or 9am to 6pm. (Occasional weekends: Saturdays).
321 S. Yates St. Denver, CO 80219
Salary: Commensurate with experience, expertise, proficiency and market bench marking.
Benefit eligibility is based on job type/status
Paid Time Off
Pension and 403b Retirement Plan
Health, Dental, Vision, Pet Insurances
Life Insurance (Including Accidental Death & Dismemberment)
Short Term & Long Term Disability
Employee Assistance/Work Life Balance Program
Employee Discount Program
LifeLock with Norton