Legislative and Policy Director
The Colorado AFL-CIO is a federation comprised of over 170 affiliate unions in a variety of industries. We assist our affiliates in running strategic internal and external campaigns, running aggressive statewide and local electoral field campaigns, cultivating the development of pro-worker policies, lobbying for passage of legislation to benefit working families, and playa key role in a wide range of coalitions to support the growth of the labor movement and the rights of working people. We are seeking a Legislative and Policy Director to begin working with us in late July 2018.
The ideal candidate is an experienced lobbyist with a proven ability to rapidly prioritize threats and leverage opportunities, and who is committed to growing the strength of the labor movement. This is a full-time position that often requires a flexible schedule, particularly during peak seasons.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director in developing and implementing a public campaign to advance the organization’s legislative strategy and objectives.
- Draft, analyze, monitor, and respond to legislation and administrative decisions pertaining to union issues, including state budget matters.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with legislators and allies outside of the legislative session.
- Support and advise Central Labor Council leaders in municipal advocacy work.
- Compile bi-monthly policy and legislative reports to present to the Executive Director, President, and the Executive Council & Board.
- Play an advisory role to union leaders appointed to boards and commissions.
- Coordinate with affiliate political leads on a year-round strategy to highlight priority policy issues in electoral and internal organizing plans.
- Advise coalition partners on legislative strategy and help build capacity at the legislature.
- Develop member leaders and guide affiliated locals through the legislative and lobbying process.
- Dynamically defend Colorado’s unions against corporate and anti-union threats from the local to the federal levels.
- Expand and implement Labor Lobby Corps program where rank and file union members spend three days at the capitol to receive training, lobby on legislation, participate in committees, and hear from their elected officials.
- Conduct weekly labor legislative caucus meetings with affiliates and leadership during legislative session.
- Conduct bi-weekly House and Senate Labor Caucus meetings during legislative session.
- A minimum of 5 years of direct lobbying experience at the state level or above and a mastery of legislative procedure. (May substitute similar relevant experience)
- A deep understanding of the greatest threats and opportunities to Colorado’s unions and a proactive, solutions-based mindset.
- An ability to meet quick deadlines, effectively multitask, and calmly lead in a high-pressure environment.
- Attention to detail, spelling, and presentation. Highly organized and communicative with affiliates, Executive Board, Executive Council, and Executive Director.
- A commitment to knowledge- and skills-sharing to develop a policy leadership pipeline in the labor network and a movement-oriented mindset.
- Confidence in building a program independently, meeting high-level goals, and effectively delegating on projects.
- Demonstrated success in volunteer engagement, training and leadership development.
- Strong strategic, analytic, organization, and communication skills.
- Proven leadership and conflict-management abilities.
- A background in the labor movement (union membership a plus).
- Strong relationships in Colorado’s political and grassroots communities.
- A background in electoral power-building and grassroots activism.
- Ability to make public presentations to audiences in a range of venues including digital and social media.
- An advanced degree in Public Policy, Labor Studies, or Law is preferred but not required.
- Experience with database management.
- Spanish language proficiency.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefit package includes health, dental, vision, and reitrement program.