Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence division provides non-academic services, support resources and opportunities for DU students. With over 130 full-time and part-time staff and 16 departments, we are committed to the growth and development of all students. Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence division serves the public good by creating a dynamic environment that fosters student learning, inspires ethical and caring behavior, champions respect for difference and cultivates self-awareness and wellness.
As part of the Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence division, Housing and Residential Education holds student support as a core value of our residential communities. We strive to offer students a quality and meaningful experience and want students to value and grow from their residential experiences. Responsibility to the community is encouraged through an educational conduct process and involvement in the community. Through educational and social programming, our residents will be exposed to new opportunities, new challenges, new communities, and new ideas that will enhance their education out of the classroom. We have student organizations that are student-led, student-focused and provide leadership opportunities for all residents. Housing and Residential Education believes students are at the core of our work and we seek to actively cultivate a collaborative and caring environment where students lead the way.
The position is responsible for managing and ensuring consistent, useful and timely communication within and outside of the department of Housing and Residential Education. The overall goals of the position are to ensure that everyone who interacts with the department will receive the highest level of customer service, have their questions answered and their needs met. The Manager will accomplish these goals through the creation and implementation of a strategic and efficient communication plan. This position reports directly to the Director of Housing Operations and works closely with other central office staff in the department.
Communication & Customer Services
- Manages all aspects of communication for Housing and Residential Education residents, parents and the general campus community.
- Manages the HRE central office front desk staff and ensures staff appropriately communicate with upset students and families to resolve their issues; problem solve to help customers resolve issues on their first call and provide professional and unsurpassed customer service to each of our member campus community who interact with the HRE department.
- Provides relevant information about HREs services and resources, responds to all customer inquiries, and provides a friendly and encouraging experience to all customers.
- Collaborates with Office of Admissions on variety projects (e.g. training Tour Guides, perspective overnight visits).
- Prepares and hosts HRE table during Pioneer Days, Parents Weekend and other community events.
- Manages HRE website, social media and all HRE digital presence including Facebook, Snapchat and twitter functions to foster a sense of community.
- Oversees the creation of, and ongoing updating of HRE collateral materials to meet University of Denver communication standards and reflect the University's values of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Manages HRE Central Office front desk operations including 1) correspondences such as calls, emails and faxes, 2) maintaining office equipment and systems needed for communications such as copier, fax machine, phones, internet, etc.
- Meets the performance goals established for the position in the areas of: efficiency, call quality, customer satisfaction, first call resolution and attendance.
- Greets each member of the campus community with courtesy and professionalism.
- Works in collaboration with the Assistant Director for Occupancy in training and maintaining communication efforts with incoming students and their room assignments.
Supervision & Training
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates HRE Central Office front desk staff.
- Creates and implements effective new employee training and ongoing professional development for student staff to ensure: 1) customers gain resolution for issues on their first call, 2) staff are able to provide relevant information about HREs services, policies and resources, 3) they are able to manage challenging customer interactions, 4) and serve as encouraging and supportive resource at the Front Desk of every residence halls.
- Ensures all student staff receive appropriate training and support to effectively carry out their duties utilizing the values associated with creating a welcoming environment for customers from diverse backgrounds.
- Oversees development of appropriate messaging to educate faculty, parents, staff and students about the fundamentals and benefits of residential living.
- Assists Graduate Assistant of Housing in maintaining all front desks areas clean and organized, ensuring that professional and student staff provide high quality student support. Participates in additional training courses when needed.
- Creates and implements surveys focused on measuring the campus community satisfaction and targeting its increases.
- Utilizes multiple databases (e.g. StarRez, Banner, Qualtrics, others) to research complex student issues and works with support resources across campus to resolve customer issues and/or partner with others to resolve escalated issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid mathematical skills and general familiarity with accounting methods.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Excel, Access and Word.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of Inclusive Excellence (diversity, equity and inclusion) through participation in and development of university/division-wide projects and initiatives.
- Thrives as a team player in a fast-paced, high-energy, change-oriented environment.
- Bachelor's degree in communications or marketing and/or equivalent work experience in other industries including training while serving in the US military.
- 1-2 years of professional customer service experience in a similar high touch customer setting. Passion to find the right solution for the customer or the path to resolution.
- Demonstrated success using multiple social media platforms as a business tool to effectively deliver time-sensitive, meaningful messages to engage and help foster a sense of community.
- Experience creating messages to a wide range of individuals utilizing cultural competency principles.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds on a college campus.
- Fluent in Arabic, Mandarin Chinese or Spanish to reach out to students and families whose English is not their native language.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.