Manager of Communications
DSST Public Schools (DSST) seeks a Manager of Communications to join one of the leading charter school organizations in the country. DSST Public Schools mission is to transform urban public education by eliminating educational inequity and preparing all students for success in college and the 21stcentury.
Overview of Position:
The Manager of Communications will be responsible for internal and external communication among our growing network. Specifically:
- Ensure that the entire DSST team is working collaboratively towards a common goal
- Ensure DSST employees know what is happening in the organization and that they feel engaged with their workplace and give their best by listening to their opinions and concerns
- Develop communication plans to keep various stakeholders (Board, elected officials, staff, press, community, donors) engaged and informed about DSST priorities, events and opportunities
- Manage systems that facilitate communication, including parts of our CRM/Marketing automation system as well as social media channels and the communications portion of our Intranet
- Facilitate cooperation with education advocates, press and other parties to present a favorable image of DSST and its benefit to society at large.
Strategy and Planning
- Develop communications strategies for a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including staff, media, Board of Directors and community members
- Develop protocols for network communications to help make our internal and external communication more effective and efficient
- Ensure internal and external communications messages are consistent across all mediums and for different departments of the organization
- Solicit feedback and input from employees through a variety of channels including town-hall type meetings, surveys and interactive forums.
- Handle the internal communication response to crisis situations which impact organizational perception and reputation
- Advise senior executives of developments throughout the organization, either face to face or through regular written communication
- Ensure organizational initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees and stakeholders
Writing and content development
- Plan, edit and write content for a variety of internal and external communications mediums, such as a staff intranet, monthly newsletter and routine emails, press releases, and other DSST-related stories
- Draft messages or scripts from senior executives for presentation to employees and other stakeholders in written or spoken form
- Create and send out media advisories and announcements
- Manage and keep up to date internal contacts and media contacts within DSST’s CRM system HubSpot
- Manage internal and external email campaigns (in conjunction with Marketing team) using HubSpot
- Manage communication portion of DSST intranet “The Helix”
- Manage and optimize social media platforms to best communicate with all stakeholders, including staff
— You believe that if everyone is actively committed to equitable and inclusive practices aligned to the DSST mission and values, all students and staff will achieve at high levels.
— You believe that by fostering your own growth mindsets then students and fellow staff will develop a commitment to continuous improvement and thus maximize their potential.
— You believe that by strategically developing systems and people with a driven sense of urgency and focus on results, students and staff will achieve ambitious goals.
— You believe that fostering healthy teams, students and staff will achieve a collective success that surpasses that of the individuals.
Experience Required: DSST Public Schools seeks candidates with strong character, passion for excellence and a relentless commitment to student achievement.
- Must have 3+ years professional experience that includes writing as a major component; previous experience in a marketing or communications role is highly preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications: BA or BS required.
Classification: Exempt or Non-Exempt
Reports to: Heather Lamm, Director of Marketing and Communications