Position: Manager, The Commons on Champa
Department: Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Economic Development
The Commons on Champa
Entrepreneurs create the future. At The Commons, the future belongs to everyone.
The Commons on Champa was founded in 2015 as a charitable organization of the Downtown Denver Partnership in its vision to build a powerful, inclusive local economy. A first of its kind public-private partnership, The Commons bolsters Denver’s economic future by providing direct support to an increasingly diverse community of people who are moving entrepreneurial ideas forward.
Our public facility serves as a hub for entrepreneurship and a home to a blend of programs designed to help entrepreneurs of all kinds find a straightforward path to starting businesses that will transform the future. The impact of the barrier-busting programs, innovative partnerships and inclusive community The Commons has created can be seen and felt throughout the metro area, across all industries and stages of business. We focus on serving women, people of color, military veterans, new American citizens and others often underrepresented in entrepreneurship.
The Commons is a nationally-recognized integrated resource for entrepreneurs and a profound catalyst for economic growth in Denver. We are making it happen, together.
The Downtown Denver Partnership
Cities are built by people. The creators of industry, makers of place. Visionaries—for what’s next.
At the Downtown Denver Partnership, we are building with vision.
We believe the horizon of a great city is always growing, always improving. We believe our city is only as strong as the center. And we know that a thriving, strategic evolution only happens when every voice steps up to the mic. When access allows for unbridled opportunity.
But to make the most of it, to make meaningful impact, we must plan with purpose. With a bias for action, we invest for tomorrow, execute for today. Creating an impactful culture and business community that will support each and every citizen, giving us all a seat at the table.
Building our center city, making our place.
About the Position
The Manager, The Commons on Champa creates, builds and fosters our entrepreneurship community and keeps our facility running smoothly. This integral role serves as a primary connection for entrepreneurs and risk-takers, a steward of resources and partnerships, a prominent face of the organization, and a curator of a unique community space in Downtown Denver.
The role requires a passion for: fostering community, serving a diverse community with diverse needs, tending to the needs of stakeholders, finding new ways to help the community thrive, and helping our nonprofit organization grow and evolve.
All Partnership employees share a responsibility for recognizing, creating and implementing plans to promote diversity and inclusion within their respective programs and initiatives. Where applicable, this includes involving external stakeholders to coordinate and promote the Partnership’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. The Downtown Denver Partnership views Diversity and Inclusion as a moral and economic imperative for building a great city.
About the Job
The Manager, The Commons on Champa will develop a strategic vision for The Commons on Champa and create a set of measurements to consistently monitor program activities. This role serves as creative leader, project manager, and fundraiser for a wide variety of programs.
- Oversee the Commons Entrepreneurial Journey Program and ensure success of the program.
- Lead coordination of partnerships and programs to help support the diverse entrepreneurial community in Denver.
- Cultivate partnerships and lead fundraising efforts for both programs, strategically aligning partnerships to best support the respective programs.
- Develop existing sponsor relationships and seek additional partners to support long-term sustainability of all programs (include grant management for The Commons). Manage sponsor fulfillment.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations at the Commons on Champa in partnership with the Economic Development Team, including but not limited to:
- Manage and operate building to ensure seamless operations.
- Rent conference and community space.
- Manage tenant community; lease office and desk spaces.
- Serve as first point of contact for people visiting or calling The Commons
- Mange data system (Startup Space)
- Oversee and work with Partnership team to implement the marketing and communications strategy and the Commons on Champa (including website, e-communications, and social media).
- Develop a process to capture digital content and create a strategic plan to ensure that content tells the story of innovation in Denver.
- Additional projects include:
- Working with vendors and various stakeholders to plan and organize meetings and events
- Processing invoices and assisting with budget reports
- Logistics planning
- Coordinating stakeholder outreach meetings and events
- Participates in Partnership programs and meetings as requested by supervisor as part of regular work week schedule, and performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
To be successful in this position, you must be a strategic and creative communicator and team leader with a keen sense of Partnership programs and how best to support our team in engaging internal and external partners. You must have the capacity to support all entrepreneurial and strategic initiatives to maximize results and have a proven track record in building, managing, and mentoring highly effective, diverse teams, as well as demonstrated success with relevant initiatives. You should possess a deep commitment to instilling practices and a culture that reflects The Downtown Denver Partnership.
- 3 – 5 years of relevant, progressively responsible experience in business management and leadership. Experience in with the startup or entrepreneurial community preferred, but not required.
- experience in a retail, community management, hospitality sales or leasing.
- Community development, partnership development, and program development experience required. Excellent project management, including proactive and independent development of work plans, timelines, and budgets.
- Experience in building community, developing and managing budgets, and strategic plan development. Ability to lead marketing, project management, and communications to produce successful programs.
- Experience in entrepreneurial work environments; venture capital funded programs and start up collaborative relationships.
- A sales mentality, and a hunger to be “everywhere.” A scrappy ingenuity with experience in innovative grass roots marketing.
- Strong analytical skills and well-developed business acumen; natural relationship management instincts; savvy for gaining buy-in from various stakeholders.
- Orientation as a team player and leader with strong management skills and community-minded.
- A metrics-driven, entrepreneurial mindset that informs strategy and work.
- Commitment to city building.
- Ability to easily network and establish rapport and connections with individuals and groups.
- The ability to build rapport and establish relationships quickly.
- Flexibility and a sense of humor.
- Proficiency in Sales Force, Microsoft Office, Word Press preferred.
- Flexibility to work varied hours for events and to meet deadlines.