This dynamic, collaborative and creative position is responsible for developing and implementing marketing and communication plans and tactics to advance the mission, programs, services and outreach efforts of AIA Colorado. Requiring a wide range of communications, technical and design skills, this person works closely with all staff and member volunteers to promote AIA Colorado benefits, services and programs to current and prospective members by leveraging online technologies and designing and distributing collateral (print) materials. He/she additionally works with leadership and public relations consultants to convey positive external messages about the organization and its members to the broader public including members of the community, government officials and allied industry organizations.
This position manages all aspects of the association’s website and microsites including developing and designing pages using a variety of internet tools, and writing, editing and publishing website content in collaboration with staff team and volunteer leadership. This position is also responsible for recommending, designing and ensuring the functionality and efficiency of all technologies related to member communication, program registration and content delivery. Focus areas include managing and executing online event software tools, e-mail marketing/newsletters, online awards platforms, contact management, survey tools, and social media platforms. This multi-focus position requires a strategic mindset and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to independently implement many of the tactics.
Relevant Professional Experience
- Eight (8) years of progressive marketing and communication experience, including development, implementation and evaluation of appropriate tactics across multiple channels resulting in increased customer/member satisfaction
- Required Education: four-year college degree in communication, journalism, public relations, marketing or similar
- Graphic design and typography training and professional experience
- Intermediate or advanced skills in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and PowerPoint (Microsoft office suite) or Prezi, and Constant Contact (or similar online communication platform)
- Website design and content authoring experience including intermediate knowledge of WordPress and HTML coding
- Experience with design and deployment of online event software (Cvent or similar) and online awards/abstract submission platform (Cadmium or Open Water) highly desirable
- Social media marketing savvy including experience leveraging Facebook, Hootsuite, and other social media outlets
- PC and Mac experience preferred
- Experience with brand management and increasing brand awareness
- Public relations experience preferred
- Solid proof reading and copy-editing skills
- Demonstrates strong written communication skills (samples required)
- Works well independently and within a small team environment
- Ability to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously and under deadlines
- Ability to develop and maintain project budgets
- Knowledge of architecture and the design professions desirable
- Previous member-organization experience preferred and/or experience working as a marketing/communications professional within the AEC industry
Marketing and Communication Responsibilities
- Develop annual marketing and communications plan to meet AIA Colorado’s annual objectives and coordinate efforts with AIA National’s member marketing tactics and calendar.
- Develop calendar of member communications and outreach efforts to promote programs, reinforce membership benefits, inform members on priority issues, report on progress and outcomes of AIA Colorado efforts, and recognize and celebrate individual members.
- Identify improvements, outline themes; recommend and write new content and refresh across all communications channels
- Work collaboratively with all staff to insure plans are followed and results are tracked and reported to staff and leadership as appropriate.
- Manage AIA Colorado’s brand across all platforms in conformance with AIA brand guidelines
- Develop slide presentations for programs and meetings; providing templates to staff as necessary that conform with branding
- Design/edit ads for print and digital advertising, and for event signage
- Create and maintain digital displays for front office and update on a planned schedule.
- Update and maintain website content and newsletters as scheduled; ensure communication channels are integrated and best reflect current organizational and programs focus
- Manage email marketing efforts supporting the variety of programs, services and member benefits offered by AIA Colorado
- Leverage visual story-telling and design/visual elements to appeal to architect-member audience
- Collect, manage and write content for newsletters and website, including member highlights, awards, research and related events in the community
- Work with staff/volunteers to write and collect relevant content by specified deadlines
- Curate industry-related content to enhance member communications and leverage hot topics of interest to members; follow AIA media scan, AIA Architect and other trade publications as assigned
- Maintain updated social media presence on approved platforms
- Oversee contracted designers, photo/videographers and others on larger projects such as annual report, publications or video productions to insure project and budget goals are met
- Oversee web vendor on website development including site templates, advanced coding and functionality
- Oversee placements by website advertising vendor to ensure adherence to agreements and contract terms
- Work with Executive and Program Assistant to ensure sponsor advertisement fulfillment on website, eNews, signage and presentations,
- Work with Member Relations Manager to develop local collateral materials and distribution plan for membership recruitment, retention and engagement
- Serve as Staff liaison to public relations consultants regarding media partnerships, coordinating media responses and news releases, and public outreach campaign coordination.
- Serve as staff lead to public outreach-related volunteers and committees
- Follow association industry developments through research by ASAE and other association resources to recommend new approaches to marketing and communications including personalization, content curation, social media tactics, mobile technology options and other emerging platforms
- Make budget recommendations to Deputy CEO for marketing and communication tactics and needed technology investments to support them.
- Work within approved budgets to execute marketing and communications tactics
- Work with appropriate vendors within allocated budgets to purchase and maintain communications technology
- Attend and perform administrative tasks at AIA Colorado’s annual conference, awards gala and other key events as assigned
- Attend occasional committee and task force meetings as assigned
- Occasional evenings/weekends and overnight travel required (estimated up to 4 days annually)
- This position reports to the Deputy CEO
- This position has no supervisory responsibility
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements. No phone calls please.
Note: the above list is an attempt to delineate general responsibilities. This position must be flexible to provide for the current needs of The American Institute of Architects. Additional duties shall be added and modified as necessary. Updated July 2017.
AIA Colorado is to the voice of the architectural profession and the primary resource for its members. AIA Colorado inspires members to be leaders in the collaborative design of a quality built environment. The goals of the organization include advocating for public policy, elevating member knowledge and expertise, and public awareness of how AIA architects design the spaces in which we all live, work and play. AIA Colorado's members are comprised of licensed architects, those preparing for licensure and allied professionals.