Foothills Animal Shelter seeks a marketing and community relations manager who is committed to advancing the mission and vision of Foothills Animal Shelter and excited to engage in the transformative work of animal welfare.
Who We Are
As an open admission shelter, we are committed to being here for families and their pets in Jefferson County, Colorado. We identify as a socially conscious shelter, caring for over 8,000 dogs, cats, and small animals every year with a compassionate team of staff and volunteers who are committed to the physical and emotional wellbeing of every pet we serve.
What You Bring
- You are a compelling communicator who connects our donors and our community to the many ways that Foothills Animal Shelter makes life better for people and pets.
- You are an expert editor with a keen eye for detail.
- You enjoy being in the public eye and are proud to be the spokesperson for Foothills Animal Shelter.
- You adapt to new software applications with ease, and you confidently use them to promote engagement with the Shelters mission and gain supporters.
- You recognize the significance of the human-animal bond, and you are excited to raise funds that support the formation and continuation of these powerful relationships.
What We Offer
- Lets start with the obvious: animal time! Whether you have an affinity for playful dogs, curious cats, or unusual critters, Foothills sees them all and encourages our team to spend time helping them feel their best.
- Our shelter is conveniently located between Denver, Colorado, and the magnificent Rocky Mountains, so you get the best of both worlds access to all the cultural benefits of a major urban area while only a short drive to the mountain adventure of your choosing.
- We strive for a healthy work-life balance, offering schedule flexibility, a hybrid work schedule, and generous time off benefits to support your Colorado lifestyle.
- We offer a full spectrum of employee benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, and a retirement plan with a 4% employer match and immediate vesting. Currently, two of our medical plans and our dental and vision plans are offered at no cost for employee-only coverage.
- The salary for this position will be $60,000 – $75,000 annually, depending on education and depth and breadth of relevant experience.
DEPARTMENT: Development and Community Engagement
REPORTS TO: Director of Philanthropy
DIRECT REPORTS: 0
STATUS: Full-time, salaried, exempt
SCHEDULE: 40 hours, variable, hybrid work environment possible
Foothills Animal Shelters mission is: Providing support to our surrounding community through education, services that strengthen the human-pet bond, and humane care for the animals we serve.
All employees and volunteers are expected to embody the Shelters Values which are to have honesty and integrity in all that we do, with the following values as our guide:
- Stewardship: Assume responsibility and ownership for our actions within our shelter and our community.
- Positive Culture: Create a safe, supportive environment for the health, wellbeing, and development of staff and volunteers.
- Openness: Nurture an innovative, inclusive, and creative environment that cultivates conversations and relationships that actively work towards the future.
- Team Oriented: Build relationship, embrace teamwork, and foster collaboration in pursuit of our Mission.
The marketing and community relations manager is responsible for creating and publishing communications on behalf of Foothills Animal Shelter (FAS) and supporting the creation of strategic marketing initiatives. This position is responsible for creating and implementing marketing campaigns, curating organizational photographs, videos, and creative assets, and building all in-house graphic design and copy to advance the Shelters mission and fundraising goals.
- Create and implement diverse outreach strategies to promote campaigns, achieve fundraising goals, and inform the public.
- Manage FASs social media properties, including timely updates, follower engagement, and developing both content and graphics, video and photographs, etc. under the direction of the director of philanthropy.
- Track and analyze social media metrics to assess the effectiveness of online strategies.
- Keep up to date on digital and email communication trends, execute online strategies and best practices.
- Serve as organizational photographer and videographer, including court documentation and training of animal photography volunteers. Curates volunteer support team for documentation efforts.
- Plan and execute print and digital collateral to support shelter goals while serving as the liaison/manager of all external printing needs, including Annual Report, annual direct mail solicitation plans, and quarterly newsletters.
- Engage with cross-departmental teams and external vendors/partners to assist the director of philanthropy in developing and executing dynamic and appropriate philanthropic and educational content.
- Support the development team with the marketing and planning of special events.
- Support the Shelters goals to strengthen its community presence and to increase the publics awareness of the organization and mission.
- Serve as the media spokesperson for the organization, when needed.
- Create videos to drive engagement, support fundraising efforts, support shelter events and initiatives, and promote community awareness.
- Support operational department needs as they relate to design, print collateral, and digital/video communications.
- Manage the organizations website, providing timely updates for fundraising and operational needs, effective user experience, and marketing standards and best practices.
- Support the development team in the stewardship of patrons, donors, and volunteers.
- Perform other administrative tasks as required.
- Promotes and follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment.
- Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance with OSHA safety rules that could put a staff member, volunteer, patron, animal, or the organization at risk.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience
- Degree in graphic design or marketing preferred, or 2 years of applicable work experience.
- At least 2 years of experience in social media management required (Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and TikTok preferred).
- Prior experience operating as the communications generalist (communications department of one) for a mid-sized organization.
- Fear Free Shelter certified or become Fear Free Shelter certified within 60 days of employment.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office including word processing, spreadsheets, meeting software, and email.
- Experience with Adobe Create Suite preferred.
- Experience with Constant Contact or similar email communication platform required.
- Proficient in WordPress.
- May be required to work some evenings and weekends.
- Noise, odors, chemical fumes, animal hair/dander are encountered due to equipment and animals.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches
- Must be able to manage the emotional aspect of end-of-life services and humane euthanasia, and support employees in high-emotion circumstances.
- Photography/video equipment.
- Basic office equipment: telephone, computer, projector, printer, copier.
- Cloud-based data management software.
- Vehicle use (company provided and personal), if needed.
- Occasional use of chemicals and cleaning tools to provide care for the animals.
About Foothills Animal Shelter: As an open admission shelter, our doors are always open to pets in Jefferson County, and we are committed to serving our community as a socially-conscious shelter. We care for more than 8,000 dogs, cats, and small animals every year with a compassionate team of staff and volunteers. We are a community resource and offer a variety of services including pet adoption, supporting animals and patrons in need through our better together programs, Jefferson County pet licensing, and reuniting lost pets with their families. The Shelter is established under an intergovernmental agreement between Jefferson County, the City of Arvada, the City of Lakewood, the City of Wheat Ridge, the City of Golden, the City of Westminster and the City of Edgewater.
Benefits: Foothills Animal Shelter offers a competitive total compensation package. Employees become eligible for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, and an array of supplemental benefits after 60 days of employment. Foothills offers coverage of the premiums for employee medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability plans. Employees earn sick and vacation time each pay period, plus six recognized holidays. After six months of employment, employees are eligible for a 401K retirement plan that we will match up to 4%.